All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
I hate water
      #257619 - 04/11/06 02:49 PM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

I hate water! I always have. There is absolutely no flavor, and I guess that is why I hate it, I'm not really sure. I know I need it b/c when I DO drink some, I just gulp it down like I can't get enough even though I get nauseous at the thought of drinking it.

My question is, I am trying to cut back on my soda, I'm allowing myself to drink 3 20oz bottles a during the daytime (9am-6pm...when I'm at work). After 3 bottles are gone, I can only drink water. I find it so hard to stick to this b/c I hate water. I drink a carbonated bottled water that is flavored and tastes really good....but I just read that carbonation contributes to the IBS. My question is what about crystal light? Would that be a possibility or is there something in it that would contribute?

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I hate water new
      #257620 - 04/11/06 02:53 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Sorry, I'm not sure about crystal light. My suggestions for non-water refreshing drinks are Gatorade and teas. I'd definetly try to cut out the sodas, not good!

Goodluck, and I'll be checking back here for more drink ideas.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257642 - 04/11/06 03:55 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Crystal Light is made with Aspartame and that is a no no for IBS. Have you tried adding flavor to your water, like lemon or lime?

Teas also count as fluids. new
      #257686 - 04/11/06 07:40 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

And if you like lemonade, I use Country Time without problems.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

Re: Teas also count as fluids. new
      #257700 - 04/11/06 08:33 PM
ErinB

could be a possibility except it causes problems with my GERD....grrrrr! It would have to be really weak...and then I wouldn't want it b/c it was too weak. Thanks for the idea!

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257701 - 04/11/06 08:35 PM
ErinB

I've tried that, but it's not enough flavor. And really the acid in lemon and lime upsets my GERD. Thanks for the idea.

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257702 - 04/11/06 08:36 PM
ErinB

good ideas, but too much sodium in gatorade type drinks. What about snapple? that just came to me!

Erin

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257703 - 04/11/06 08:38 PM
Gracie

Does Cammomile and fennel teas cause problems with your Gerd? I thought those two are usually safe for that.

#257711 - 04/11/06 09:52 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

normally i wouldn't suggest it but since you seem to be at a loss for anything to drink why don't you try kool-aid, maybe just mix it up with less sugar than it calls for. At least then you would be able to get some fluids in. It shouldn't bother your GERD. It is hard to find anything to drink that doesn't bother GERD because I have the same problem. I can't tolerate any fruit juices. I drink Cran-Rasp on a RARE occassion and I dilute it with water. 99% of the time when I am at home, I drink flavoured water. I have only found one brand here in Canada that doesn't have artificial sweeteners. I also drink fennel tea and always have a bottle of room temperature water with me wherever I go.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#257731 - 04/12/06 04:46 AM
ErinB

I haven't tried actually. I'll stop at the store today and pick some up and test them out. I do like sweet iced tea, but never been a big fan of herbal tea. I usually like those ones with cinnimon in them though, or putting some cinnamon in them, so I can try that I suppose. Thanks!

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257733 - 04/12/06 04:47 AM
ErinB

That might be something to try and use splenda instead of sugar since I'm at a high risk of developing type 2 diabetes I have to watch that sugar intake. Thanks for the suggestion!

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

Splenda is evil.... new
      #257740 - 04/12/06 05:57 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Splenda is not IBS-safe and can cause unhappy bellies in even non-IBS folks. If you *must* sweeten your drinks, try stevia instead. There's even some herbal teas out there with stevia already in there.

Also, you can train yourself to like less-sweet drinks - your taste buds will adjust after a couple of weeks.

--AC

#257758 - 04/12/06 07:14 AM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

Gatorade only has 110mg of sodium per serving which really isn't that much (5%DV)

Buy a juicer and make your own juice. Thats an easy fix.

Three 20oz sodas a day is 5 servings in all actuallity and conatins 550 calories, 150g of sugar plus 171 mg of caffeine (based on regular coca cola classic). Of course if it was diet coke, everything would be zero, but then you deal with the artifical sweetners and more caffeine 228mg.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

Re: Splenda is evil.... new
      #257778 - 04/12/06 08:17 AM
ErinB

I see your point, but I've never noticed splenda bothering me. I was also only talking about using the splenda with koolaid, not other stuff. I can't eat regular sugar b/c I'm insulin resistant, at least not anywhere close to the amount called for in koolaid. Where can you buy stevia? and how is that different from any other artificial sweetener?

Thanks for the suggestion.

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257781 - 04/12/06 08:23 AM
ErinB

Actually, I should have been more specific, they are diet sodas, not regular. I'm working on cutting back on them b/c of the caffeine. They cause migraines for me, but if I quit cold turkey, they migraines would be even worse. I don't seem to have a problem with artificial sweetners, but I'm not sure. I just found this site yesterday and learning about all the things that can upset the IBS, things I never realized, like my granola bars and OJ for breakfast (which explain why whenever I have them, I get D, not bad, but I get it). 1 thing I can say for this site is it has really made me pay attention to my body.

Thanks for the input!

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#257831 - 04/12/06 10:40 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Stevia is a plant (in fact, a lot of garden catalogs carry it!) that is a lot sweeter than sugar. It's really the only non-sugar/honey sweetener that Heather recommends. Pretty much all of the lab-created fake sugars work by being indigestable, which is a Bad Thing for IBS'ers in particular. It might be an interesting experiment for you to take a break from fake sugar and see how you feel - a week or two should show you whether they're destabilizing or not!

My husband is diabetic and he's pretty much given up on all the fake sugars (ooh, them Splenda and maltitol farts!). His blood sugar is fantastic even when he has something sugary because he has only a small amount and has it with protein.

I find stevia (outside of the Burpee's catalog) at Whole Foods, but big grocery stores with a fake sugar section might have it. Most health food stores will have it, too. You can get little packets of it or big boxes of it granulated or even in liquid form. I'm planting some because it's great to combine with other herbs when making iced tea!

--AC, plotting her herb garden

Stevia drops new
      #257868 - 04/12/06 01:00 PM
poochibelly

Reged: 04/27/05

I just saw Stevia drops in our local health food store. I drink metromint water and enjoy it. I saw metromint has spearmint flavor too.

--------------------
Have a blessed day!...Rachel
stable and sooooooo thankful!
I have IBS but it doesn't have me!

I know it's gonna be hard, but... new
      #257895 - 04/12/06 02:11 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...you gotta ditch the soda altogether. I used to drink at least a 6 pack a day. But, when I went totally onto the IBS diet, I gave it up.

I hate water too. I drink herbal tea all day long. About 10 cups, with a little stevia added. Since I added the stevia, I can't drink it without it (which is bad since stevia is expensive....a little cheaper at Trader Joes which just got a DF version).

Seriously, on time I was gonna cheat and drink a soda, and I could only drink a few sips because it tasted like acid and I knew it was going to blow me up even more than usual.

I swear, I drank soda by the packs for years (grew up on soda, not milk)...but I honestly don't think I miss it that much. You can really get into some herbal conconctions and experimenting with combining flavors.

Good luck.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#258132 - 04/13/06 09:12 PM
Becca LG

Reged: 04/07/06
Loc: Minneapolis, MN

What about fruity teas? I personally don't like them at all, but its a different flavor... I've also heard that cinnamon is good for your stomach, although I haven't found that to be particularly true but it means its much less likely to hurt you.

Honestly though, I stopped drinking soda altogether as well. I mostly stick to water and tea (Tension Tamer and Peppermint are favorites) and have drastically reduced the amount of sugar I put into them... and you know what? It doesn't take that long to get used to it.

--------------------
At least I've learned a lot about my
body...

IBS-A and still figuring things out

#258252 - 04/14/06 08:02 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Celestial Seasonings makes decaf Bengal Spice tea. It mostly has a cinnamon flavor. I add fennel to it with some honey and a little soy milk. It's very good.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#258270 - 04/15/06 05:22 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I have been using TONS of splenda for years now. I never had a problem with it, but recently I have been considering cutting down on it or at least trying to do without it for a couple weeks in case that is causing my problems (which began about 8 months ago). But, I am very calorie-conscious and will not use sugar. I use splenda for so many things, I don't know what I would eat if I couldn't use it ( I put it in coffee, tea, plain yogurt, oatmeal...things that I eat and drink every day). I would try Stevia, but did you know that Stevia is not approved for use as a food additive by the FDA? Nor has it been approved as a GRAS (generally recognized as safe) substance. The only reason it is even sold is because the FDA does not regulate the dietary supplement market. So, I am a little hesitant to try Stevia as well.

--------------------
Kim

#258271 - 04/15/06 05:26 AM
jules

Reged: 06/17/03
Loc: Michigan

Here's an interesting article on Stevia and why it's not been approved by the FDA.

http://www.stevia.net/newagesweet.htm

I used Stevia and love it, but be careful because it's very potent. A little goes a loooooong way.

--------------------
~jules

So, are either safe? new
      #258281 - 04/15/06 06:56 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Does'nt Heather say Stevia is safe? I'm confused....I just don't want to make myself sicker. I hate to use real sugar because my teeth are prone to cavities.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: So, are either safe? new
      #258283 - 04/15/06 07:02 AM
Gracie

Stevia is safe. It's just the comapnies in the sweetner business who have a lot to lose want it deemed unsafe.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1275 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2753

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review