All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Immodium - how many do people use? Plus Lomotil? new
      #257663 - 04/11/06 05:57 PM
suzyq

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: Northern Ont. Canada

Hi I use to take alot of Immodium;felt like I was buying shares in the Immodium Company When I was first introduced to Immodium (this is when I had D.bm's like 20 times or more a day) I would take 2 after every bm.but not more than 8 a day. I figured after that many it is just not going to stop.This of course was when I had to quit my job because of IBS. NOw 13 yrs later and being IBS/UC proctitis I only take immodium when needed. Whether it being on a road trip, or if I feel that I need to take one just in case;as my tummy is just not right. I will take only 1/2 of one or 1-2 depending on the urgency. About 5 yrs ago I started working as a supply teacher/E.A. and use to take 1 immodium a day, because we know that a teacher cannot just up and "run" when the need arises! This year I decided to give it a "go" and not take any immodium; and once I leave home (my safe haven)try to think of something else such as the beatiful weather , the birds singing, the sunny sky, etc..just to not think about what if...and once I'm in the classroom I'm so busy I don't really have time to think about it. What I'm saying is that it is mind over matter, unless of course I am having a crappy morning because of something I ate? I am stressed over? who knows what caused this episode...that I take 1 or 2 immodium to get me through the day. When I do take an immodium it is kind of a relief because I know the next day I will only "go" 1 or 2 times in the morning instead of 3 or 4 before I get out the door. The next day I will be back to norm, and life will go on and so will I. Take care and I hope this helps. Sue

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#257716 - 04/11/06 11:27 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I take one every morning and it seems to work fine for me. Sometimes I listen to my body and can tell that I need two a day (even three) and this is all depending on what I've eaten, where I'm at in my menstrual cycle, how much sleep I've gotten, how stressed I am, etc.

And then there are those days when you take a couple and you still have like 3 BMs a day. I just chalk that up to my body needing to get some stuff out, if you know what I mean!

#257745 - 04/12/06 06:19 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Hi,

I take Immodium mostly as a preventive...like if I'm going out to dinner or out away from a bathroom. Normally 1 or 2. I haven't noticed any constipating factors. Now for an attack, like this morning I had D, first time in months. I took a Lomotil. Immodium doesn't work as well for me to stop an attack. Now Lomotil can constipate me some. I may not go for a day but I don't normally have D again then, must normal BM's for me.

I may try the 1/2 immodium after a BM in the mornning to see if that cuts down on my going although the last few days besides today, I've only gone once in the morning. Heaven! I almost felt like a normal person.

I think it may take awhile to get the balance for you. Everyone is different.

Sandy

#257789 - 04/12/06 08:33 AM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

Sandy, when you say that Immodium doesn't constipate you, but do you mean doesn't constipate you then or later? What I noticed with Immodium is even though it doesn't constipate me then, I feel *more* constipated about 12-24 hours later. By the *more* I mean it's not D, and it's not normal, but it's not true constipation either. It's somewhere between normal and constipation. Listen to your body when you take it, notice the times (if ever) you do feel more constipated than normal BM. It could be from the Immodium. Of course if you use it a lot, you might not even notice that.

Erin

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

#257842 - 04/12/06 10:59 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I take it OTC. I'm pretty stable now but for a while I took it everyday.

I *was* taking it after/during attacks and loading up on it - usually 4/day or so most days. But then it really stopped working for me - I know that's not true for everyone but I really started to need more and more and it really scared me. So I stopped taking it for a while, which also happened to be a time when I could really focus on my diet and exercise and such and was really low-stress. When things got a bit more stressful I started taking 1 or 1/2 every morning for a while and that really helped me get more stable I think.

I still *never* leave home without some immodium in my purse, but now I take it just when I need it. So when I'm hit with an attack - I take if I'm at home, and that usually slows it down enough and then stops it (though if it's not a really bad one and I'm at home with nowhere to be, sometimes I just deal with the attack. Depends on how much it's wiping me out/how much pain I'm in whether or not I reach for the Immodium).

I take 2 to stop it immediately - so when I'm out. If I feel 'rumbly' and really don't want to or can't be spending a lot of time in the bathroom, I take 1-2 as a preventative. (It's actually remarkably good as a preventative.) If I take 2 I'm usually C for a few days afterwards but that usually clears itself up now (though I usually swing back to D for a bit before stabilizing). Luckily I only ever need to do it very rarely now.

Edited by retrograde (04/12/06 11:05 AM)

Re: Me everyday... also new
      #257847 - 04/12/06 11:12 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I usually end up taking 2 Immodium/day. If I didn't, I'd be having 14 plus BM's. I consider 2 Immodium/day normal for me.
My doctor says that Immodium is safe. Peptobismal, on the otherhand does not work for D and is not safe long-term. If required, I will take it as a preventative.

Kate, IBS-D.

Hi Erin...I noticed sometimes with Immodium (m) new
      #258041 - 04/13/06 12:37 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

it just helps me go less often than a normal day for me. Instead of 4 times, maybe I'll go 2 times for example. So it doesn't really constipate me but it does change things for me sometimes. It slows me down that's all. does that make sense?

Sandy

Re: Hi Erin...I noticed sometimes with Immodium (m) new
      #258042 - 04/13/06 12:48 PM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

yes, that does make sense, and that's how it works for you. For some people like me, though, it creates this cycle of constipation and diarrhea. That's basically what I was getting at. If you're feeling constipated the day of or after taking Immodium, it may be the culprit.

Erin

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

#258107 - 04/13/06 05:29 PM
rn21666

Reged: 09/01/05
Loc: Maryland

I use immodium on a "as needed" basis. I only take 1/2 of a pill and it seems to get me through what I need to get through without making me C. Good Luck.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 753 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3109

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review