All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New lurker out and about (long)
      #257151 - 04/08/06 03:16 PM
Toady

Reged: 04/06/06
Loc: A small city, Northwestern Ontario, Canada

Hello all. I have been reading lots of posts lately and this is my first.
I'm 29, diagnosed in 1994 - so 12 years now. I read Heather's book just after it first came out in 2000 and it was a lifesaver! But we all get lazy, forgetful, busy or whatever and we forget to follow the great suggestions and menus and recipes Heather has created.
So here I am, 2 months of chronic attacks, sometimes several a day, sometimes I skip a day and back reading Heather's book for the 10th time, making SF foods and trying to get back on track. My wedding is in 7 weeks and I know that some of my stress level is from that (my maid of honour and best man dropped out 4 weeks ago.) and my job is very busy and very stressful at times.
My newest thing with the IBS is dizziness. It's almost like I have had a flu for 2 weeks and I've got wobbly knees and I get dizzy if I turn my head too quick. Great fun!
I've got a medical journal worth of other things going on in my body too - as I read a lot of you do too. I'm happy I found this forum and that there are other people who know what I'm going through too. My dear fiance is a jem and worries about me lots, especially after sleeping in the bathroom all night at times.
Glad to be here, I'll break for now or you'll be sick of reading from me!!

Cassandra

--------------------
Cassandra

Live like there's no tomorrow. Love like you've never loved before.

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: New lurker out and about (long) new
      #257200 - 04/09/06 08:07 AM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I'm not a doctor but dizziness(lightheaded) is often associtated with GERD which is common for a lot of people with IBS. I'd seek a doctors advice on that.

As far as the attacks go, hopefully by following the diet, it will reduce the number of attacks you're getting. Congrats on your upcoming marriage, take care.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#257236 - 04/09/06 12:01 PM
Toady

Not so sure on the GERD, I haven't had any problems with acid reflux before, unless it was chili night! I see the GI Dr in a month, I have to wait it out, unless I pass out first. I'm starting on a B vita complex today too, might help my fatigue and maybe the dizzy spells.

--------------------
Cassandra

IBS A 20+ years, Chronic Migraines, Chiari Malformation (decompressed June 22, 2010), Brachial Neuritis, and ??? the list just keeps growing, but I'm still shiny side up!

dizziness...and a tasty solution for me new
      #257341 - 04/10/06 08:01 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I get dizzy sometimes - particularly in spring! - if I'm not getting enough salt in my diet. It has something to do with having lowish blood pressure. Pretzels, pickles, and baked potato chips keep me from keeling over this time of year.

--AC

Low Blood Pressure the villian this time new
      #257348 - 04/10/06 08:19 AM
tierny

Reged: 05/19/03
Loc: Iowa

My 15 year old daughter doesn't have IBS (I do) but she does have Low Blood Pressure and she is finally on prescription medicine for it. She had dizzy spells, fainted twice, fatigue, couldn't focus on things, etc. We finally ended up at a heart doctor that specializes in low blood pressure especially in young people. Actually it sounds like it's pretty common and it happens ALOT in atheletes and ppl in good shape. She's alot better with her medicine although not 100%. The Dr. said to figure on being about 85% "normal" on the medicine, and that's about right. But, she's so much better than she was. Hopefully, she'll outgrow it. I would definitely look into this being your problem. Can easily be fixed. Good luck!

#257357 - 04/10/06 09:40 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hey Fellow Canadian! Congrats on your upcoming wedding! I don't know much about the dizziness - except I get it when I don't eat often enough. Try eating more frequently in small amounts throughout the day - it will also help with your attacks as big meals can also be a trigger.
Now is the time to get strict with yourself. No more messing around. You need to take care of yourself for the next several weeks! Eat carefully. Stick to constant staples like applesauce, bananas, bread, buns, rice, potatoes, etc. at EVERY snack and meal. Take them to work so you're not tempted at the snack vendor.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Low Blood Pressure the villian this time new
      #257390 - 04/10/06 12:42 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Actually, it was a doctor who told me to eat more salt in the spring! He said that it was related to the Victorian notion of "the vapors" - there is a subclinical constellation of things like dizziness, fatigue, etc. that doesn't really have a cure. (Sounds like IBS, huh?)

Since my "illness" is cured by lovely salty IBS-safe things and by not trying to be Superwoman (e.g., if I feel weak I sit down and read a book rather than do chores), I don't really want to start a medicine. My BP is not low enough for a doctor to worry about it.

Thanks for your concern!
--AC

Re: Low Blood Pressure the villian this time new
      #257433 - 04/10/06 03:24 PM
Toady

Hmmm, something new to think about - I am hypotensive - I have to warn the surgeons before they put me under or they think I'm dead! Hmmm..... Gotta ask that one too at the dr's in May. (yes, May, been waiting since Feb - we have a HUGE dr shortage here.)

--------------------
Cassandra

#257435 - 04/10/06 03:29 PM
Toady

As I work in a construction office I eat when I can - so to my bosses it looks like I'm always eating - arrowroots, bananas, banana bread, tostitos.... My problem is once I am too hungry it will trigger an attack. And my one boss really embarrassed me last time I had one at work. He was aweful!! It's not my fault!! I do eat throughout the day though, we have no vending machine or snack truck that pops in, so if you don't bring it, you've gotta go out to get it. I have an entire filing cabinet drawer full of SF snacks, teas, etc. I'm trying, but it is as always, one meal at a time.

--------------------
Cassandra

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1008 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review