All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Portion Size?
      #257031 - 04/07/06 07:16 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

I've been religiously having all of my food with a base of soluble fiber, but I think I'm overdoing it as I've been gaining weight... I know that low-card diets are bad, but how much rice/bread/banana, etc do you feel makes meals safe without leading to too much starch and weight gain? I'd like to gradually reduce it until I'm eating enough without overeating. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Generally speaking... new
      #257060 - 04/07/06 09:50 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Well, I can go all over the place with this one. Heh. I've learned that it really doesn't take much SF at all to "cushion" my meals, but on the other hand, I'm completely stable and have been for a while. If you're still trying to stabilize, it's really for the best to make sure you're getting plenty of SF.

If you're concerned about the calories, pay attention to serving sizes and measure portions. A serving of bread is 1 slice. A serving of rice is 1/2 cup. Similarly, a serving of potatoes, sweet potatoes, or any other vegetable (SF or not) is 1/2 cup chopped. I *think* a serving of pasta is 1 cup. Dry cereals vary, but usually range somewhere between 1 and 1 1/2 cups. And so on.

Keeping in mind that I'm completely stable, I'm finding that I can cushion even a really massive salad with just 1 slice of bread. If I'm eating a meal that contains something gut-neutral like chicken or fish (not SF, but not IF either), I can definitely get away with just 1/2 cup of rice or 1 slice of bread.

You have to experiment a little and see what works for you - everyone's different. Start with 1 meal and play with your portion sizes. You'll figure it out.

Definitely don't cut out the carbs altogether. I've seriously never been so sick in my life as when I tried to low-carb... I almost ended up in the hospital because I lost all ability to digest food. Not good at all.

Re: Generally speaking... new
      #257170 - 04/08/06 07:44 PM
Emily H.

Reged: 02/28/05
Loc: Luxembourg, LU

Hmm...Thanks for the help. I've been mostly stable for several months now, and maybe it's time to try gradually reducing the SF to see. I try to follow the portion sizes recommended (you're right about pasta), but I think it wouldn't hurt to reduce even a little more. I sit in an office all day, and it's got me feeling really sedentary, even in spite of spending an hour at the gym before work.

I didn't get nearly as sick as you, but I too learned the hard way that low carb is not for me. Plus, I like pancakes, bread and gnocchi too much to give them up forever.

Ahh, good new
      #257291 - 04/09/06 07:37 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I didn't know how stable you were, so I didn't know exactly what to safely say. I think it's safe for you to try decreasing the SF you're eating - especially if you do take a supplement. I'm eating light bread now - 35 calories a slice, and shockingly, tastes pretty good. Sometimes if I'm eating chicken and, say, carrots or peas, I don't eat any other SF at all, and I'm fine. Good luck with it!

And I totally hear you on the low-carb. All it takes for me is a plate of sushi, and I realize I do like my starches way too much to ever try THAT nonsense again!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5096 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 657

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review