All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Water
      #256802 - 04/06/06 04:24 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I've been trying to get more water lately. I went for a blood test the other day, and the nurse couldn't even find a vein. She said the main reason was that I was dehydrated. I had no idea since I don't really watch my water intake, but I was only getting about 3 glasses a day.

So today I started drinking lots. I'm aiming for 5 glasses of water, 1 glass of soy milk and then more fluids from other stuff such as soups. I'll add one glass for days I go to the gym. So far today I've had 4 cups water, 1 cup soy milk, some soup, and milk with cereal at breakfast. I swear I've had to pee every hour!! I was happy to get rid of D a whie ago, and now I'm back to the bathroom 15 times a day for a different reason!

Does anyone know if our bodies actually adapt and get used to this much fluid, and so we don't have to go as often after a while? Is this maybe too much fluid for me?

Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Water new
      #256809 - 04/06/06 04:42 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Yes your body should adapt to the extra water you are drinking...at least it does for me. For the first week or so, I go to the bathroom more often, then I'm okay afterwards.

#256814 - 04/06/06 04:58 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

The body will get used to the extra fluid intake and within a week or so, your should be all set.

The important thing to remember that the amount of fluid intake you should have a day is based on the individual person. The old rule eight 8oz glasses of water a day has no scientific studies to back it up. A guidline that has been suggested that takes into account the person. Simply put, it should be enough fluid to cause bathroom breaks every two hours. Notice that is it not water, but fluid. Coffee, tea, fruits, soups, etc all add to the daily fluid intake.

Can you take in too much fluid a day? Yes and no. No because a normal healthy individual is able to cope with normal amounts of fluid intake. Yes if you have heart problems, but a cardiologist would have already discussed this with you. And yes if you drink like a gallon or more all at once, typically resulting in death. You hear about this everyone once in a while on the news, college frat hazing.

Hope this helps.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

#256816 - 04/06/06 05:03 PM
Gracie

Actually I've read and heard from a few sources that coffee should not be considered as a fluid because it is acts as a diuretic. For each cup of coffee, you need to be drinking a glass of water or something else to replenish the fluids you will lose because of it.

#256817 - 04/06/06 05:05 PM
DOTT

Reged: 03/12/06

hi

i read to drink water with meals produce less gas is this true

dot

#256818 - 04/06/06 05:14 PM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

There is a common misconception that the caffeine in coffe is bad. It is a diuretic, but only a mild one. Drinking one cup of coffee adds 1/2 a cup of fluid to the daily intake.

Reference: Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes

Although the important thing is to remember how the caffiene will affect the person since again, everyone can respond differently.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

#256819 - 04/06/06 05:16 PM
K2

Thanks for the info.
I only drink water, soy milk, and soups I guess. And yeah I'm aiming for 50 ounces a day (half my weight). I hope I get used to this quickly!
Thanks,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256821 - 04/06/06 05:31 PM
DOTT

Reged: 03/12/06

hello
do u drink water with meals
heard it does not cause gas
dot

#256823 - 04/06/06 05:35 PM
K2

I tend not to drink with meals. It's easier to digest if you don't drink a lot while having a lot of food. Try drinking 1/2 hour after.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256824 - 04/06/06 05:41 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Of course, people with IBS need to avoid coffee completely. It's not just the caffeine, but other chemicals in it that cause a very nasty reaction. It is an absolute trigger food like dairy or red meat.

Caffeine in general should be avoided by IBS'ers, but if you gotta have it, drink green or black tea.

--AC

#256832 - 04/06/06 06:44 PM
Gracie

Drinking water or any drinks with meals actually slows down the digestion. If you need to drink with meals, drink very little.

#256839 - 04/06/06 06:58 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I'm not sure where they get 64 oz. of water a day is what you should drink at a minimum because peoples weight can vary anywhere from 90lbs - 300+lbs.

Even if you only weigh 100 pounds, I think you should aim for atleast 50 oz. 3 glasses of water a day isn't enough. You'll find that you can often drink more water the day of a workout and the day after.

I buy Aquafina by the bulk when it goes on sale so that I always have some lying around.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#256841 - 04/06/06 07:02 PM
Gracie

I belive Heather's diet advocates drinking much more than 64 Oz. of water, but I can hardly make it to 64.

#256842 - 04/06/06 07:08 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

The key for me is drinking water first thing when I get up. I drink a 24 oz. bottle of water within the first hour of waking which helps the old bm as well. Not to mention my water intake is 33% done for the entire day.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#256848 - 04/06/06 08:08 PM
K2

Wow I definetly can't drink that much right when I wake up, but I do start off with a 8oz glass. I'm aiming for around 50 total including soy milk and soup. Today was just the first day and I'm glad I was at home all day!

I'm hoping this will help my fatigue, maybe clear up my skin a bit, and maybe headaches I tend to get when I exercise a lot. I definetly wasn't getting enough water before. I might also look at getting some Gatorade for working out since it's a bit more tasty.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#256947 - 04/07/06 12:43 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I try to drink water but it's very hard for me. I get burpy and bloaty. I also rarely get thirsty so I actually have to REMEMBER to drink so I have a bottle in my car, one on my desk and 3 signs posted in my classroom to remind me.

I found that after I added water (I KNOW I was dehydrated!), I felt a lot better...no headaches anymore. Although I really do struggle to add that much. I still probably drink only 1/2 of what I should. Daily struggle.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1572 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1886

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review