All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Soluble and insoluble info new
      #258340 - 04/15/06 02:31 PM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

Thanks! I remembered a 5th problem, GERD, so acidic and spicy foods can be a problem too, but doesn't really conflict with anything, like the low fat due to my gall bladder.

I thought that Oatmeal was on the SF list?? I already have benefiber powder and citrucel caps. The problem is actually taking them on a regular basis. I have an awful short term memory and any habits I did not form before I had radiation in 1995 are almost impossible for me to form now. I seem to only remember the fiber supplements when I have an attack.

Insulin resistance is like diabetes, I have a friend who is diabetic that takes insulin shots and we were talking about how we have similar eating issues, but for opposite reasons. Her diabetes she had too little blood suger, but the insulin resistance is too much blood sugar. What happens is that in a normal person, cells in your body recognize the insulin as carriers of sugar and accept that for energy, but with insulin resistance, your body doesn't recognize the insulin the so sugar you eat stays in your blood basically. It's more complicated than that, but that is the short version. Like with diabetes, people with insulin resistance also need to keep a balance of blood sugar by eating numerous small snacks/meals throughout the day. It's not life threatening (that I'm aware of) like diabetes, my understanding is that sugar in the blood for insulin resistant people ends up being stored as fat, which is why many insulin resistant people are overweight and can't seem to lose the weight.

I haven't tried Heather's tea, but I have tried the peppermint tea from Celestial Seasons and it upset my stomache and I had an acid attack from my GERD that night. I think if I drink it again, it will have to be early in the day to allow my stomache to get rid of it and not cause a GERD problem. I believe Heather mentioned somewhere on this site that it's not good for people with GERD. I bought a variety pack of celestial seasons caffeine free herbal tea and I kinda like their sleepytime tea which has chamomille, peppermint, and spearmint and some others as well and that didn't cause a GERD problem. I bought the variety pack b/c I didn't know which I liked, but I think I'll stick with the sleepytime b/c it agreed with me better.

Thanks for all your advice!

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#258362 - 04/15/06 04:21 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Hmmm, yes I think it would be wise to talk to a dietician since you have some special circumstances. It sounds like you need to eat low glycemic SF, and IF foods. Have you tried eating quinoa, barley, oatmeal, and yams? Those are examples of low glycemic SF foods.

Re: Can any C'ers help out here? new
      #258375 - 04/15/06 06:15 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hello, I am C. I was reading through some of your posts and I can understand your desperation. There are days where I can hardly go and feel like I'm plugged up. I know you feel that a cleanse would be the best thing, but when you have IBS, it could cause alot of distress in your system. Can I suggest Citrucel (with sugar). I use it every morning (one heaping scoop in 8 oz. water). I'd also stay away from too much of the spinach and cut back on the oats. Sometimes oats can go either way with IBS people. Some are good with it, but some don't do so well. Maybe stick with the soluble fibers until your stomach settles and then slowly starting adding insoluble fiber again.

Good luck!!

Carol

Re: Can any C'ers help out here? new
      #258376 - 04/15/06 06:26 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

Have you tried cutting back on the number of meals that you eat? Maybe 5 instead of 6 or would you still be hungry? The baked beans look a little suspect too. Just my two cents.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#258432 - 04/16/06 02:37 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Insulin resistance is like very early stage type II diabetes. You can do a bunch of things to help improve your insulin resistance, including both drugs (e.g. metformin) and diet.

Interestingly enough, my husband was trying to fight his type II diabetes by having no carbs at all and it wasn't really working for him. He's now actually incorporating some carbs (even the dreaded potato) into his diet and he's both lost weight and really improved his blood sugar. The key for him was eating frequent, small meals (all containing protein) and making fruit & vegetables a big part of his diet.

This is all a long-winded way of saying that IBS-safe fruits and veggies, along with protein at every meal, might help a lot and allow you to have some white bread or sugar on occasion. Plus, my husband had to go out and buy jeans two sizes smaller this weekend because this diet helped him shed some weight!

--AC

#258463 - 04/16/06 10:26 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hey Guys, thanks for all of your posts!
I really appreciate the help.

I really can NOT figure out the regression I have had in the last 10 days.
I honestly feel worse, I feel more bloated virtually ALL of the time, I feel distress in my stomach, and my diet has not changed.
I am basically eating the way I did when I was doing well prior to the February cleanse.

The only thing I can think of it, perhpas this is a buildup of Serequel, perhaps.
I am going to be posting exactly what I eat everyday, trying to see if maybe some hidden ingredient is behind this.

4/15
Meal 1
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Egg Whites

Meal 2
Canned Chicken sandwich with lettuce, hot peppers
Peaches

Meal 3
Graham Crackers
Roll

Meal 4
Chicken
Rice
Spinach

Meal 5
Oatmeal
Rice Chex cereal

4/16
Meal 1
Oat bran with Applesauce
Egg whites with Spinach

Meal 2
Canned Chicken sandwich with lettace, hot peppers
Peaches

Meal 3
Graham Crackers
Honey Nut Cereal
Roll

Meal 4
Lox, White Fish
Bagel
Lettuce

Meal 5
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Egg white powder with Cocca

-Snacked on Matzah

Again, unless I am missing something, this might be low on insoluable fiber, but there are NO trigger foods.
Maybe Sodium?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#258464 - 04/16/06 10:27 PM
Naturapanic

Also, I bought some different veggies this week, I have green beans and carotts I will try.
I will get some stir fry ones too, I do not see why I am getting this way.

It is not like I am eating dairy.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#258559 - 04/17/06 06:19 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Seriously, I am willing to bet it's the overdose of oatbran & applesauce.

Perhaps try reducing this food to once/day MAXIMUM. Maybe even dare to eliminate the oatbran for a week and see if you note an improvement?

I doubt it's the applesauce. I agree, you could use more IF. Have fun with your new selection of fruits/veggies this week.

Kate, IBS-D.

#258569 - 04/17/06 07:40 PM
Naturapanic

I see a nutrionist tomorrow, I will run this by him.
Why do you think the Oat Bran is to blame?
When I was doing my finest, Oat Bran was being used 2-3 times a day.
In fact, whenI would go 2-3 days without Oat Bran and Applesauce, I felt a lot worse.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#258574 - 04/17/06 08:40 PM
Naturapanic

Meal 1
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Rice Chex cereal
Honey Nut cereal
1/2 Graham Cracker

Meal 2
Turkey sandwich on Rye Bread with nonfat mayonnaise, lettuce, hot peppers
Applesauce
Pretzels

Meal 3
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Roll
Chocolate Matzah (lowfat, no dairy)

Meal 4
Chicken shake and bake
Rice
Green beans

Meal 5
Instant Oatmeal
Protein shake with strawberries

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1418 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36861

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review