All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Soluble and insoluble info new
      #258194 - 04/14/06 10:48 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Kat already answered this quite well, but I just want to make sure it's clear...

Quote:

Perhaps I am confused.
I just read the labels on Benefiber, Oat Bran, Applesauce, Peaches, and Rye Bread.
Benefiber has 3 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving This is all SF
Oat Bran has 5 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving This is about half SF and half IF
Applesauce has 1 gram of Dietary Fiber per serving SF
Peaches have 1 gram of Dietary Fiber per serving If these are canned peaches (without the skins) then this is probably all SF
Rye Bread has 2 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving I *think* that this is mostly IF with some SF, or maybe more like half and half, not sure...

Because I thought Dietary Fiber=Insolubale Fiber, I am getting over 30 grams.
Am I missing something?
The reason I kept adding Oat Bran was because of the Insoluable Fiber, have I made a misconception?

Yup Is it clear now though?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I second this! new
      #258195 - 04/14/06 10:50 AM
retrograde

Naturapanic - I just though that Kate gave you some really good advice here and wanted to make sure you (re)read it and took it to heart

Quote:

Honestly, I think you need a little variety in your diet. I think you should include small doses of IF at all meals, accompanied by SF. Just eating the same thing, daily, can put you in a "rut." Your body will protest/rebel--it's just nature! You're doing great, but with IBS, time and sensitivity is required. I think, also, that you could benefit from hypno. You do not sound like you are enjoying what you are eating. You sound (and I'm using my intuition here, so tell me if I'm way off base), as though you are tense when you are eating. This kind of psychic energy while eating is very detrimental for IBS. It is insulting to the gut. Breathe deeply, surround yourself with loving energy. Eat in a relaxed frame of mind.

Seriously, I do not think you are safely incorporating IF into you diet and I see you going in circles obsessing. I have IBS-D and I incorporate more IF in my diet. I think, you might do better trying to incorporate IF from a diversity of fruits/veggies versus grains. Maybe you're eating too many oat-based products? I find IF from fruits/veggies easier to tolerate, personally.

I'm sorry--I hear your frustration and I see how earnest you are for positive/desirable results--effective IBS-C management.

Re: Corn Chex / Sequerel new
      #258196 - 04/14/06 10:52 AM
retrograde

Not saying that you are, but *some people* (myself included) have difficulties with corn. I cannot eat corn as a vegetable (i.e. frozen or canned corn, corn on the cob etc.) at all without getting violent D. I can't eat a 100% corn cereal like corn flakes or corn chex (or baked corn chips even) without getting pain and bloating. (I'm generally ok with cereals that are only part corn, like Crispix.)

Just a thought. Maybe try leaving it out for a week and seeing how you do?

Quote:

I really hope it is the Serequel, I just don't get the regression.

I'm sure that this is definitely part of it. Meds (i.e. meds for things other than IBS) can make dealing with IBS difficult. Instead of getting frustrated though, you should take this as meaning just that this setback is not your fault. It does not mean you're doomed though. It probably just means you have to give your gut some time to adjust. If you are concerned though, maybe talk to your doctor to see if you can change meds for one that's not consipating? (I'm not sure whether that's a good idea or even an option for you right now though of course.)

Edited by retrograde (04/14/06 10:56 AM)

#258217 - 04/14/06 03:17 PM
ErinB

Reged: 04/11/06
Loc: Raleigh, NC

What about that breaed that has 5 grames of fiber per serving? Here is the list of ingredients in order:
water, whole wheat flour, soy fiber, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, yeast. contains 2% or less of each of the following: corn bran, wheat bran, soybean oil, fish oil, salt, soy flour, calcium sulfate, cultured whey, vinegar, monocalcium phosphate

My problem is I need to add the soluble fiber to my diet. Almost any carbs I eat are insoluble which would maybe be ok if I had IBS-C, but I have IBS-D.

Thanks

--------------------
Erin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
IBS-D, GERD...
I got it comin' outta 1 end or the other!

#258227 - 04/14/06 04:11 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Whole wheat products need to be eaten with caution and High fructose corn syrup is an IBS trigger. You should try white french, or sourdough bread. If you have glycemic problems you'll need to find SF foods low in sugar like quinoa, yams, avocados, etc

I just read an article by Dr. Perricone and he said that from 1970 - 1990 HFCS consumption has risen 1000 percent. Prior to the 1970's this product did not exist and the rise in consumption corresponds closely with the sharp rise in obesity rates seen in recent years.

ErinB new
      #258310 - 04/15/06 10:19 AM
retrograde

Quote:

What about that breaed that has 5 grames of fiber per serving? Here is the list of ingredients in order:
water, whole wheat flour, soy fiber, wheat gluten, high fructose corn syrup, yeast. contains 2% or less of each of the following: corn bran, wheat bran, soybean oil, fish oil, salt, soy flour, calcium sulfate, cultured whey, vinegar, monocalcium phosphate

My problem is I need to add the soluble fiber to my diet. Almost any carbs I eat are insoluble which would maybe be ok if I had IBS-C, but I have IBS-D.

Thanks

Same goes for IBS-C and IBS-D - if you're looking for more SF, this is not the bread to do it with. In fact, don't eat this bread at all - it contains two major triggers, HFCS and dairy (whey). If you want an SF wheat bread, look for breads that have as the first or second ingredient as white flour or enriched flour (which is white flour). HTH.

Re: My Diet new
      #258325 - 04/15/06 12:06 PM
RobinV

Reged: 01/08/05
Loc: wayne,pa

You didnt mention how much water you are drinking. From my experience you need to drink a ton of water with fiber or it will clog you up even more.

Re: ErinB new
      #258330 - 04/15/06 12:19 PM
ErinB

Thanks! I'm going grocery shopping this weekend, so I'll look for a new bread then. Makes me wonder if that is why I get D when I go to my favorite restaurant with deli style sandwhiches. I'll have to ask them if I can get a list of ingredients for their bread.

Erin

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#258331 - 04/15/06 12:27 PM
ErinB

The problem is for me that I have 4 major illnesses/diseases that regulate what I can eat. On one hand I'm insulin resistant so I need to stay away from both sugar and processed carbs (i.e., white bread) and I'm supposed to eat whole wheat. Then I'm iron deficient anemic which means I have to take iron supplements, but wheat blocks absorption of iron. Then I have no gall bladder so I have to be extremely low fat (which rules out those avocados), and then the IBS-D! I'm really struggling to find a way to accomodate ALL of these. I know my church has a couple of dieticians, but I don't know who they are so I've asked an elder to help me connect with them. Hopefully that will happen and they can help me with planning meals and everything. I'm working on making a list of foods I can't eat and required foods by disease and then foods I just won't eat b/c I don't like them and we'll see if I can get some help from one of the women at church b/c I'm going crazy trying to figure this out. I used to think the IBS and Insulin resistance were more in line b/c with both I need fiber, but now learning that they are actually against each other! GRRRR! I really hate this! I'm wanting to try th IBS diet book, but I'm not going to get it until I've talked with a dietician/nutritionist first. Thanks for the input!

--------------------
Erin
IBS-D, GERD...

#258332 - 04/15/06 01:17 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

OMG, Erin, that's a lot to deal with, sweetie! Here's a couple of thoughts - although I agree with you wholly - you need to see a dietician. Take all of your dietary needs for all 4 illnesses and start highlighting foods that are the same.
1. - Iron supplements may actually HELP if you're prone to Diarrhea. It will "firm things up".
2. Extremely low fat is good for all of your conditions - so that's a plus. Finally, something that agrees.
3. If you can't have processed carbs, I would recommend trying oatmeal and brown rice. They're technically on the "insoluble" side, but are the mildest forms, and you're likely to best tolerate them.
4. What is insulin resistant? I really don't know. I know my father has diabetes, and has no gall bladder either. He follows a low fat low sugar diet - those for people with heart and diabetes issues (he had a triple bypass) My cousin has diabetes and IBS, and she has so far been OK with processed carbs in controlled amounts. She is just careful to check her sugar regularly. Especially after meals.
As for the IBS book - it does have recipes that have fair amounts of sugar, and soluble fibre. Heather has been generous enough that she has posted practically all the dietary info from her book on the website - so I would read it all very thoroughly.
5. I think that a fiber supplement is going to be CRUCIAL for you. I would try Heather's Acacia, Benefiber, Equalactin, Citrucel. If you've got it coming out both ends, avoid anything with psyllium fibre - it is a strong irritant to the GI tract. The fibre supplement will give you the SF cushion you need, without much of the processed carbs and sugar associated with breads, etc. I cannot stress this enough. I think if you have ANY hope in getting this all figured out, a fibre supplement is number one.
6. TONS of fluids never hurt anyone. I highly recommend peppermint tea. It's great keeping the colon relaxed and not in spasm (D or C), and it can also relieve pain and tummy upset. Try several strong hot cups a day.
Let me know what you think with all of this. We're all here to help you. I'm a moderator here - so if there's anything I can do for you, let me know. You can also e-mail me at hansolo890@hotmail.com
hugs, Alicia.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36864

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review