All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Fructose sensitivity new
      #258061 - 04/13/06 01:52 PM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

Hi!

On a side note to your post, how did you find out you were sensitive to fructose? Did you take the test or was it by your reactions after eating certain high fructose foods?

Just curious because I think I may be sensitive to fructose due to really bad bloating, stinky gas and very loose stools (when I'm normally ibs-c) after eating things like pears, apples, raisins...

This is a recent discovery for me so just wondering what your experience was.

Thanks!

--------------------
Kara

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Just a sidenote on oat bran and oatmeal.... new
      #258082 - 04/13/06 03:45 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I'm IBS-D, but I am extremely sensitive to oatmeal. So much so that I really can't tolerate very much at all. I would try eliminating it altogether and then seeing if there's a difference. Remember, people are sensitive to different things - this might be something that particularly irritates your tum.
Oat meal and brown rice are in the insoluble fibre class, but are considered the most gentle (partly soluble). It could be that you're just not tolerating them well. Try some other things and see if there's a dif.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#258095 - 04/13/06 04:23 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

I know fructose bothers me because when I eat foods containing high fructose corn syrup, I feel a lot worse.

I used to handle oatmeal well, the thing is, I feel bad overall, NOT just when eating.
This is what makes me confused on if I should add more insolubale fiber, Eat Only Solubale Fiber for a few days, or stop Serequel.

I always can pinpoint why I feel bad, but for the last week, I simply have been a mess for no apparent reason, making me wonder if it would be simply there Serequel doing the trick.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#258100 - 04/13/06 04:31 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

The fructose corn syrup is quite different than the fructose you get in actual fruits so try it out for a few months and see how you feel.

Although I'm an A, I've found that sweet potatoes (or yams) are very fiberous and can get things moving. Try having one daily, or every other day and see if it's good for you.

Re: Soluble and insoluble info new
      #258101 - 04/13/06 04:35 PM
Gracie

It could be like HanSolo said, you might be sensitive to oatmeal. Try sweet potatoes, I find them to be a good source of fibre and easy on the tummy.

#258114 - 04/13/06 06:22 PM
Naturapanic

I will, my concern is, I have not had oatmeal in days.
Nonetheless, my stomach has been terrible this week, indicating the oatmeal can't be to blame fully.
I have been eating a strict diet, nothing which should cause such problems, and I am getting frustrated.

I had this IBS under control until I took the cleanse and went on Serequel, but that was two months ago.
Despite a good diet, albeit low on insolubale fiber, my stomach is quite distressed.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Naturapanic new
      #258117 - 04/13/06 06:31 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I have IBS-D. Generally, I consume over 40 grams of assorted fibers each day. I cannot tolerate supplements. I generally average around 48-50g of fiber (around 50-ish, lately, because I'm back to my vegan wits).

Are you consuming enough fluid throughout the day? I find that steady doses of fiber work. I do think you might want to do a little bit of an elimination trial with some of your frequent foods (i.e. oatbran, corn chex) to see which one might be the culprit.

I like your idea of strawberries! Do you enjoy smoothies? Do you have a food processor? It makes IF (generally, i.e. when stable) a breeze--in combination with SF, of course.

I understand your frustration with Seroquel and it's constipating effect. I am sorry.

Kate, IBS-D.

#258121 - 04/13/06 07:43 PM
Gracie

What is Serequel used for?

#258159 - 04/14/06 07:01 AM
Naturapanic

I don't know how Corn Chex cereal is to blame, that is listed as a safe food.
What I really am gasped to understand is why in the abscene of bad foods am I not better, and why going to the bathroom makes my stomach worse.

I really hope it is the Serequel, I just don't get the regression.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Fructose new
      #258193 - 04/14/06 10:45 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Quote:

I know fructose bothers me because when I eat foods containing high fructose corn syrup, I feel a lot worse.

As Gracie said, these are two very different things!!

HFCS is pretty much a universal trigger among IBSers (and it's just plain bad for everyone). Fructose - i.e. in fruits, honey etc. - is very different. Just because you can't handle HFCS DOES NOT mean you shouldn't eat fruit! If you think you might have a fructose intollerance, get tested.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 392 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36911

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review