All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Naturapanic new
      #257571 - 04/11/06 10:41 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Honestly, I think you need a little variety in your diet. I think you should include small doses of IF at all meals, accompanied by SF. Just eating the same thing, daily, can put you in a "rut." Your body will protest/rebel--it's just nature! You're doing great, but with IBS, time and sensitivity is required. I think, also, that you could benefit from hypno. You do not sound like you are enjoying what you are eating. You sound (and I'm using my intuition here, so tell me if I'm way off base), as though you are tense when you are eating. This kind of psychic energy while eating is very detrimental for IBS. It is insulting to the gut. Breathe deeply, surround yourself with loving energy. Eat in a relaxed frame of mind.

Seriously, I do not think you are safely incorporating IF into you diet and I see you going in circles obsessing. I have IBS-D and I incorporate more IF in my diet. I think, you might do better trying to incorporate IF from a diversity of fruits/veggies versus grains. Maybe you're eating too many oat-based products? I find IF from fruits/veggies easier to tolerate, personally.

I'm sorry--I hear your frustration and I see how earnest you are for positive/desirable results--effective IBS-C management.

Kate, IBS-D.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#257654 - 04/11/06 05:35 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Thank you for your response.
I thought, getting 35 grams of dietary fiber, was sufficent.
I also though dietary fiber=insoluable fiber as well.

I know in the past, what worked for me was
-2 bowls of Oat Bran and Applesauce
-1 bowl of Instant Oatmeal
-1-2 cups Spinach
-Sandwichs on Rye Bread

Unfortunately, for whatever reason right now, I am struggling to handle Instant Oatmeal.
Here is what I think I will do.
-Use Rye Bread
-Use Frutis with my protein shake
-Have a lot more French bread as snacks

Illustrated below

Meal 1
Corn Chex
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Egg beaters

Meal 2
Turkey Sandwich with Lettace, Light Mayonnaise, Hot Peppers on Rye Bread
Pretzels
Applesauce

Meal 3
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Tuna Sandwich/French Bread
Peaches

Meal 4
Chicken
Rice
Spinach

Meal 5
Protein shake with strawberries
Oat Bran with Applesauce

3 spoons Benefiber
1-1.5 gallons of water

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#257655 - 04/11/06 05:37 PM
Naturapanic

Again, I am under the impression 35 grams of Dietary fiber
1) Is insolubale fiber and 2) Sufficent.

Is this not valid?
Would you mind either sharing with me your diet or how much insoluable fiber you consume?

I also am on a medication which can lead to constipation, but at a low dose of 25 mg, when the limit is 700 mg.
Serequel.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Soluble and insoluble info new
      #257657 - 04/11/06 05:45 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Have you read all of Heather's info on the 2 types of fiber?
soluble fiber: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber1.asp
insoluble fiber: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/fiber2.asp

On each page she lists a bunch of food choices for that type of fiber.
Your diet right now is mostly soluble fiber. I said before, this is a good base, but now you really need to add insoluble fiber. Adding more oatmeal, oat bran, applesauce, and peaches will only add more soluble fiber, and not enough insoluble fiber.

Check out the list of insoluble fiber foods, and add those to every meal. You are currently not getting nearly enough insoluble fiber. As for how much insoluble fiber? Eat as much as you can safely without symptoms. Keep eating plenty of soluble fiber as well.

I really want to make sure it's all clear to you, so let me know if you have any questions still about the IF vs SF.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257682 - 04/11/06 07:13 PM
Naturapanic

Hi, thanks.
I have read and reread the list many times.

Perhaps I am confused.
I just read the labels on Benefiber, Oat Bran, Applesauce, Peaches, and Rye Bread.
Benefiber has 3 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving
Oat Bran has 5 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving
Applesauce has 1 gram of Dietary Fiber per serving
Peaches have 1 gram of Dietary Fiber per serving
Rye Bread has 2 grams of Dietary Fiber per serving

Because I thought Dietary Fiber=Insolubale Fiber, I am getting over 30 grams.
Am I missing something?
The reason I kept adding Oat Bran was because of the Insoluable Fiber, have I made a misconception?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#257684 - 04/11/06 07:23 PM
K2

Dietary fiber = soluble fiber + insoluble fiber.
This could mean a food with 3g of dietary fiber has 3 grams of only soluble fiber, or maybe a mix of the two, or maybe only insoluble.

The foods you listed with the corresponding dietary fiber amount are all mostly soluble fiber.
The easiest way to know what foods are insoluble fiber is to follow Heather's lists.

"The reason I kept adding Oat Bran was because of the Insoluable Fiber, have I made a misconception?"
Oat Bran is at least half soluble fiber. I'm IBS-D and can eat this on an empty stomach ie: not much insoluble fiber in there. To compare, Wheat bran is about 1/5 soluble fiber, so mostly insoluble.
You need to get yourself a list of foods you like and can tolerate that are 'pure IF' so you can simply add them in to meals. Also, you want to get some variety in there!

Does this help?
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257712 - 04/11/06 10:09 PM
Naturapanic

It sure does help!

I wish I knew before dietary fiber is not completely insoluable fiber, but good to get that eventually.
When it is stated we need 35 grams of fiber, is this insoluable or dietary fiber they are speaking?

The reason I do not have too much variety is because I am trying to get things under control, and in order to do so, temporarliy I feel better doing it without taking risks.
I do not want to guess what works at this moment, and ste myself back.
I would rather use a limited variety until things clear up, then add some more stuff.
For instance, last week I tried instant oatmeal, I tried quick oats, and had to pay a bad price, therefore I think for the time being a smaller dose is smarter.

That said, I went ahead and had this as my diet.

Meal 1
Corn Chex
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Egg beaters

Meal 2
Turkey Sandwich with Lettace, Light Mayonnaise, Hot Peppers on Rye Bread
Pretzels
Applesauce

Meal 3
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Tuna Sandwich/French Bread
Peaches

Meal 4
Chicken
Rice
Spinach

Meal 5
Protein shake with 1 cup strawberries
Corn Chex

As you can see, I added insoluable fiber, 1 cup of strawberries in a blender, as my last meal.
How is that?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#257742 - 04/12/06 06:02 AM
K2

Strawberries in a blended smoothies is a great idea. If you did well with that then keep having it.

Variety does take a while, lot of trial and error to figure out how much you can tolerate of one food, but keep trying.

As for how much fiber? I'm not sure on numbers, but you want to find a balance for the amount of soluble fiber you need in order to feel well + the amount of insoluble fiber you need to get regular BMs.

If you did fine with the 1 cup strawberries in a shake, great! Keep that meal as is. Now try adding some IF to another meal.

Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257957 - 04/12/06 09:45 PM
Naturapanic

A couple of things.
I am wondering if I should try the What To Eat When You Can't Eat Anything Diet.
It seems I have a lot of stomach distress.

Or, I wonder if I should simply increase fiber.

Here is my observation.
Yes, I am going, but not great or regular.
I went several times today.
None of them were complete.
I felt instant relief, then, 10 minutes later, I felt very much bloated and worse off then before, as if going to the bathroom set off a chain.

This is reminiscent of last year when I would go to the bathroom and feel worse, only after adding more fiber did I get improvement.

At the same time, I do notice when I have Quick Oats, Instant Oatmeal, or Tomatoe Sauce, all containing fiber, I get a very harsh feeling.

So this has me confused on if 1) I can handle fiber 2) if I need to add more to what I have.

I do think, if I do have to increase, I will try buying stir fry veggies, and suating them with chilli paste.

I do know two weeks ago when I went to a Chinese restaraunt and ordered a spicy Thai dish containing stir fry veggies and mushrooms, enough to have on two straight nights, I felt better than I had in awhile.

I'm confused as to what my step should be.
On one hand I can not help but ponder, if I add more stir fry veggies and Oatmeal, if this will lead to better trips to bathroom, getting more out, but I worry it could be like Tomatoe Sauce and cause havoc.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#258017 - 04/13/06 09:30 AM
Naturapanic

I don't know if this sounds like IBS A or not, but the same thing happened again this morning.

I concluded last night by having a protein shake with 1 cup strawberries and oat bran with applesauce.

I wake up, go to the bathroom, and feel somewhat better. I have my breakfast, corn chex, oat bran with applesauce, and Benefiber.

I go to the bathroom again, having a big movement. I feel better. Then, ten minutes later, I feel worse. I feel more bloated, my stomach is distressed.

So I don't know if the solution is to keep adding more insoluable fiber, or go on the What To Eat When You Can't EAt for a few days.
Food is not making me feel bad, I feel bad in general and after the bathroom.
I don't want to add more insoluable fiber and make this worse, but I don't want to have only soluable fiber and not go.

Maybe it's time to ask to be off the Serequel, even at 25 mgs, you got to wonder if this to blame.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 682 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36873

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review