All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Can any C'ers help out here? new
      #257082 - 04/08/06 06:59 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I'd cut out all spinach and try another green veggie or another IF. Spinach causes problems with a lot of people.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Naturapanic new
      #257084 - 04/08/06 07:05 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Until you get Heather's books use this cheat sheet for guidance. Choose some IF's from the list.

#257179 - 04/08/06 09:08 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

You need to give it time.

Have you tried a fruit smoothie yet?

Thanks!
No, I have not had a smoothe because fructose I am sensitive to.
I might try Apple Cider.
I honestly can not believe I am regressing.

I was doing very good until two months ago when I started the cleanse, but again that was twon ago.
Since, it has been up and down, back and fourth, but after having Instant Oatmeal Thursday, I have been through today c, as bad as it has been.
I am going, but they are poor.

I wonder if it is time I switch from Benefiber to Acadia.
I also wonder if Serequel, even at the lowest dose of 25 mg, is to blame.
My doctor says no, but why else, not eating any bad foods, would I regress so much.

Today's Diet

Meal 1
Corn Chex
Oat Bran with Applesauce

Meal 2
Swordfish with Rice
Baked Beans

Meal 3
Graham Crackers
Peaches

Meal 4
Chicken
Rice Noodles

Meal 5
Roll
2 cups Spinach

Meal 6
Oat Bran with Applesauce
1/2 cup Quick Oats

3 spoons Benefiber
64 oz water

I had a lot of fiber, a lot of soluable fiber, and the c gets worse today, I am baffled.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#257193 - 04/09/06 07:17 AM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

Why are you still eating spinach? Many people on this board have said to you that spinach may be your problem and yet each time you write out your diet, spinach is in it. Do you like it so much that you're afraid to find out that spinach could be the problem? Is it just the easiest IF for you to incorporate? Seriously, if you're so frustrated with the fact that you are regressing you might want to try taking the advice of cutting the spinach out of your diet. At least for a few days and see how you feel. You might be surprised.

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

#257206 - 04/09/06 08:28 AM
Naturapanic

The reason I keep in Spinach is because when I was doing my best, I was having Spinach.
The Spinach was a staple of my diet when I peaked, in fact, many times when I would be c, after 1-2 days of eating Spinach I would be all set.
Of course, it is canned and cooked.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#257209 - 04/09/06 08:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

The spinach may have worked for you when you were doing better, but now it may just be a little tought to handle until you get more stable. Obviously the spinach isn't working right now. Also, to add more spinach in one sitting is not what you should be trying to do. You want to spread out your IF as much as possible in the day so you don't trigger your stomach too much.

My advice is this:
-cut out the spinach
-add a few new forms of IF from Heather's cheat sheet list to each and every meal in small quantity
-don't count on the Oat Bran & applesauce to be enough IF, it just isn't enough (I'm a D and it doesn't even make me go..) it is good for you so keep it, just add more IF to each meal..

I hope you take the spinach advice, I still have yet to be able to tolerate it and I've been stable for months.
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#257280 - 04/09/06 06:26 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

That's odd. Spinach is probably my safest form of IF. I puree it. I generally combine it with another SF veggie, i.e. mushrooms or beets or carrots or spaghetti squash or zucchini, or avocado, etc. I can easily eat 2 cups in a sitting without a problem (D or C). I even eat it for breakfast.

I promise I'm not pop-eyed.

I do find it ultra gentle, however, if there is another high SF veggie (or fruit) involved. It's one of the few veggies that don't even potentially bother me enough to take Beano for, oddly enough.

Perhaps, try infusing smaller doses if IF throughout the day, versus hitting your system with a high-test dose, i.e. 2 c. spinach--especially if you are hyper-sensitive to spinach, lately. Also, sometimes we get in an undesirable IBS-status stasis when we do not vary our menus enough. It doesn't have to amount to much variety, please not. Maybe try some different grains and alternative snacks, including safely prepared fruits/veggies.

Kate, IBS-D.

Naturapanic new
      #257296 - 04/09/06 08:02 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

[Note: I'm D, not C, but here's my advice anyway ]

Like Kate, spinach is one my safest IF sources too. Remember that everyone's a bit different when it comes to which sources are safer than others.

Naturapanic - I really think you need to add more IF, and then you need to stick to it, be patient, and relax. Don't worry about switching your SFS now, just stick with the Benefiber. If you're C, you need to add more IF because you really are not eating enough (I eat way more than you do!) Remember that adding IF should be at each meal - not 2 cups of spinach at one meal!!! That would kill me. Have 1/2 cup 4x a day instead. Also don't be afraid to add fruit. There is very little fructose in fruit compared with fruit juices. (There's more in cider than in applesauce.)

Think about ALL you meals this way:

SF + IF + protein

ALL your meals should have a source of each, with a little more SF than IF and plenty of protein (to help you out in the gym).

Other than that, plug your diet into fitday.com if you're worried about not getting enough protein or calcium - it will tell you with numbers much better than we can here. (For protein, since you're weightlifting, you should be aiming for 0.8-1g protein per lb of bodyweight per day.)

Also, yes you're probably still feeling the cleanse. Think of your gut like a system or a factory or something. It needs time to get working again. The longer you go without disrupting the regular work - eating triggers, doing a cleanse, stress, loss of sleep etc. - the better it's going to work for you. And yes it might be the drug you're taking too. (Doctors are not always completely knowledgeable about how sensitive the IBS gut is.) If it is though (and I'm not saying that it is, it just might be) that just means you're probably going to have to be a bit more patient and diligent.

Quote:

had a lot of fiber, a lot of soluable fiber, and the c gets worse today, I am baffled.

This is because you need IF too! You're not getting enough! SF is very important, but IF is just as important. It's all about balance and finding what the right balance is FOR YOU (it's different for everyone).

Remember: SF + IF + protein

HTH.

Re: Naturapanic *DELETED* new
      #257298 - 04/09/06 09:05 PM
Naturapanic

Post deleted by Naturapanic

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Re: Naturapanic new
      #257549 - 04/11/06 08:30 AM
Naturapanic

I really wanted to thank you for your help.

I had an observation, followed by a question, I was hoping to get help on so I might get back on track. OK so last week when I had Instant Oatmeal, my reaction was to go, then I was c the rest of the day, followed by extreme upper and lower stomach distress. Over the weekend, I tried regular oatmeal, again the same problem happened. In fact, almost two days later, my stomach still feels in distress.
1) Is this a common reaction to insolubale fiber?

I am also noticing that when I go to the bathroom, I feel better initally, then mor ebloated after followed by a feeling of dryness.
Again, this has me wondering if my stomach is still recovering from the insoluable fiber over the weekend.
I continue to feel like I am not thoroughly emptying myself when I go.
Given my reaction to insolubale fiber, but along with the fact
1) I am c, with poor movements
2) have fared well with Oat Bran and Applesauce two times a day, and 1/2 can of Spinach in that I do not get an Oatmeal reaction after, I wanted to know what your advice is so that I can be regular and not be getting spasms.

I was thinking of trying this diet.
My estimation is, this would give me 35 grams of fiber, spread out.

Meal 1
Corn Chex
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Egg beaters

Meal 2
Turkey Sandwich with Lettace, Light Mayonnaise, Hot Peppers
Pretzels
Applesauce

Meal 3
Oat Bran with Applesauce
Tuna Sandwich
Peaches

Meal 4
Chicken
Rice
Spinach

Meal 5
Protein shake
Oat Bran with Applesauce

3 spoons Benefiber
1-1.5 gallons of water

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1791 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 36889

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review