All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Rice, Insoluble fibre?
      #256073 - 04/03/06 07:53 PM
aimsies

Reged: 10/20/05
Loc: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Well, I have been following this "soluble fibre" diet for some time now, and I find it to be very effective. I do wonder however, why rice is actually classified in several food guides as being "insoluble" yet we use it all the time in our recipes and as one of our safest foods. I find rice is the first thing I try to eat during one of my flare ups, I have for years. What makes rice so special? Why can we digest this insoluble fibre so easily?

Aims

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Rice, Insoluble fibre? new
      #256138 - 04/04/06 08:27 AM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

White rice (rice in its refined form) is soluble fibre and brown rice (rice in its whole grain form) is insoluble fibre. Therefore, if you have IBS, white rice is generally safe and brown rice is generally not safe.

Personally, organic white Basmati rice agrees the best with me.

#256357 - 04/04/06 08:19 PM
aimsies

That would make sense. Thanks for the reply. By the way, I love Basmati rice too.

#256607 - 04/05/06 06:50 PM
LostCode

Reged: 04/04/06

I know we're suppose to eventually incorporate some insoluble fiber into our diets and brown rice I think is a good way to go. Before I found out about this diet, I ate a ton of brown rice which caused some bloating but I didn't have a lot of IBS knife like attacks.

I was away all of today and this being my first full day on the diet, I feasted on Premium White Bread and bananas and I feel much improved. I'm going to the store to try and get some balance from the soluble fiber list tonight.

--------------------
Jon - (IBS C)

#256812 - 04/06/06 04:54 PM
aimsies

I'm not sure what brown rice would do to me. I know that I have tried it, but I didn't care for the taste so much.
I too just had a terrible IBS attack and the first things I love to eat are bananas and white rice, and then I make the IBS safe fudge pepermint cake and I eat it several times a day.

#256825 - 04/06/06 05:43 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Actually, most of your IF should probably come from fruits and vegetables. Not that brown rice isn't a fairly safe source, but whole grains tend to be more problematic than vegetables. Plus everyone should get as much fruit and vegetables as they can handle, so why blow your IF ration on other stuff?

--AC

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 900 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1332

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review