All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Re: This seems like the right time to ask something I've been thinking about... new
      #255782 - 04/02/06 10:33 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

For me, I try to follow it but I 'm having a problem finding a lot of SF foods that are low glycemic that. When I eat a lot of things made with refined flour, rice, potatoes, and of course sugar, my face starts to break out.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Well.... new
      #255784 - 04/02/06 10:59 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

No, I doubt it. Actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I follow H's diet more than I thought I did. I

* eat SF before IF always
* avoid dairy completely
* avoid SOME of the trigger foods - red meat and coffee in particular
* avoid SOME artificial sweeteners - the -ols (maltitol, sorbitol, etc) are KILLERS
* watch my fats religiously!

So I suppose you could say that I'm still following the principles, just not to the letter. I will also add that I was almost fully stable before I started "cheating" and fiddling around to see what I can get away with. I really encourage experimenting. I didn't really get completely stable until I discovered that I can eat fresh vegetables and fruits (IF) with wild abandon... something I know that a lot of IBS'ers can't get away with, specifically, but my point being that we ARE all different, and you never know what's going to work for you until you try it.

(And that's not really directed to you, Sand, because you strike me as the kind of person who already knows that - LOL! - but for everyone else who may read this, especially the newbies and those who are having a hard time stabilizing, it might be useful.)

And by the way, I know admitting that I don't follow the diet completely makes me something of a hypocrite, but not really. I totally believe that Heather's diet WORKS for a LOT of people with IBS, which is why I'm still here and still dishing advice according to the diet's principles. It DID work for me and get me to a point where I was just about stable. But I did find that in order to keep my guts moving, I had to focus more on IF than SF.

Good for her! new
      #255787 - 04/02/06 11:57 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

I'm so glad she's found something that works for her. I'm not on Heather's diet either (too permissive for me) and I'm happy she's found a way to keep herself stable. I don't wish an ED on anybody, and a know it makes it hard to follow any diet if that has been a part of your past. Please let her know Nelly was thinking of her, and wishes her the bast and continued happiness!!

~nelly~

Re: Well.... new
      #255802 - 04/02/06 01:07 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

Hey, I think that counts as following the diet! I consider "Heather's Diet" to be avoiding the absolute triggers (dairy, red meat, coffee), keeping fat under 20-25% of your total calories, and using SF to cushion whatever IF you feel comfortable with. I believe Heather does say that you should get as much IF from fruits and veggies as you can, and then just gives the tips to make it easier to handle for people who are afraid of it.

--AC

I am too! new
      #255814 - 04/02/06 03:08 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

I follow the diet pretty religiously. Now that I'm quite happily stable, I've definitely expanded my diet a lot more than what I was eating for the last 3 years or so, but I still follow all the principles. I may have a little regular tea now and then, and I often go too long without eating or eat too much at one sitting, but I haven't eaten any of the trigger foods in 3 year years, and I consider myself to be quite strictly on Heather's diet. It doesn't really feel so strict though... it's all second nature to me now!

Re: I do! (a newbie) new
      #255837 - 04/02/06 05:36 PM
karabear

Reged: 04/02/06
Loc: Houston, Texas

I'm new to posting on these boards (so I hope this comes across okay), although I routinely read the posts which are always so helpful and encouraging!

Anyway, I just wanted to chime in here and say that I also follow Heather's Diet and definitely believe it's what works for me. The low carb diets pushed on other ibs websites may work for others, but I need my SF base always before eating anything else, or I'm in trouble. Plus the triggers Heather lists do cause me problems (especially fat), so when I was first starting the diet it was so helpful to have these guidelines, and still is when I stray from the diet, suffer the consequences, and need to start over again. My GI doc was no help as he handed me a sample packet of Citrucel, a prescription for anti-spasmodics and said I'd have to figure out the rest. So I was thrilled when I found this website and message boards.

I'm also sorry to see anlikerm go, but am happy that she has found what works for her. I have a hiatal hernia like she does and her old posts about that were so helpful for me as I learn how to deal with it along with my ibs. Augie-you can pass along to her that she is much appreciated!

And...I just want to extend a huge thanks to everyone who posts on these boards - they truly have been a lifesaver, making me feel like I'm not alone and it's not all just something in my head (like others have told me!)

Big Hugs and Thanks to everyone!

--------------------
Kara

Re: Well.... new
      #255839 - 04/02/06 06:14 PM
atomic rose

I think it seems to me that I'm not following it because I really consume so little SF now... I mean, I eat as little as I can get away with to cushion the massive salads, beany dishes, and raw fruit that I'm eating, and sometimes that means just a single slice of light bread. (How I can get away with it, I'm still not exactly sure, but my guts seem to love it, so I won't argue!) Of course, Heather does say to eat as much IF as you can tolerate, but there's also a heavy focus on getting a certain quantity of SF, and I just don't do that.

And I'm really not as diligent about avoiding the triggers as I should/could be... but I do avoid the things that I know bother me specifically.

But hey, I'm glad someone else thinks I'm still following it ok! LOL!

Hey! Welcome! new
      #255840 - 04/02/06 06:16 PM
atomic rose

Just wanted to say welcome to the boards!

Re: I am! new
      #255854 - 04/02/06 08:52 PM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Kat, We're all different, but I eat a lot of potatoes, yams, carrots, parsnips, honey-nut cheerios, the snack mix made with corn and rice checks, rice milk, little white breads, crackers, etc. less things like apples, prunes, peaches, pears, mangos, bananas, etc. chicken, rice, quinoa, fish, roastaroma tea, green tea, fennel tea, raisin nut bran, oatmeal, whole wheat bread, recipe board desserts, chocolate (I can't give that up entirely). Hope this helps. xxoo

--------------------
(cool)

Is there a reason why you limit your fruits? new
      #255871 - 04/03/06 06:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If you peel them they are safe.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1386 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8634

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review