All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
substitute for butter / ghee, etc?
      #255560 - 03/31/06 12:01 PM
maia

Reged: 10/15/05
Loc: Kaua'i, Hawai'i

Is there ANY substitute for butter / ghee that is safe? Like I bought some rice cakes, but eating them entirely DRY is a difficult experience (wanted them as a stand-alone snack).

--------------------
Maia Nartoomid
IBS-C, spastic gas
Kaua'i, Hawai'i

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: substitute for butter / ghee, etc? new
      #255561 - 03/31/06 12:08 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

1. I don't recommend eating rice cakes! They are made from brown rice (insoluble fibre) and some IBS people cannot tolerate them. Just one bite from a rice cake a few years ago triggered one of the worst IBS attacks in recent memory and I was in agony for two weeks afterwards.

2. A wonderful butter substitute is organic Earth Balance buttery spread. It is 100 per cent vegan (therefore, contains no milk products) and has no additives. Amazingly, it also tastes good! My IBS is very severe, and I have no problem tolerating this spread. It's available at Trader Joe's, Wholefoods and other health food stores across the U.S. (including some supermarkets like Andronico's in California). In Toronto, I buy it at Wholefoods and Baldwin Naturals, and it's available at many other places too.

#255747 - 04/01/06 04:45 PM
maia

Reged: 10/15/05
Loc: Kaua'i, Hawai'i

Thanks Belinda! I will stop the rice cakes. Can you recommend any substitute in that type of food? Is millet safe? I don't see it on either of Heather's fiber lists.

My husband bought me some of the Earth Balance buttery spread the other day. I wasn't sure I could use it. Now I know it's ok!

--------------------
Maia Nartoomid
IBS-C, spastic gas
Kaua'i, Hawai'i

#255981 - 04/03/06 02:01 PM
belinda

Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I'm not sure about millet. But I presume if you are looking for a rice cake substitute, then you are looking for a snack food?

Please check out rice crackers. I'm not certain, but I think they may be made from white rice.

A snack food that I often have is "matzoh" which is a Jewish unrisen bread. It looks like a big cracker, but it tastes much better than crackers! This is the best time of the year to buy matzoh because I believe the "Passover" matzoh doesn't contain any additives for some reason. (I think Passover will occur around the same time as Easter this month.) So look for matzoh that is for Passover. It should contain just white wheat flour and water. The rest of the year I buy "Yehuda" matzoh which contains no additives. It's very tastey as a bread substitute and makes a nice snack with some Earth Balance buttery spread! I like to put some unsweetened babyfood fruit sauce on it too, but, of course, you need to watch your sugar intake.

#256030 - 04/03/06 06:27 PM
fishnets

Loc: MA

I never had a bad experience eating rice cakes. Personally I recommend Smart Squeeze margerine, it's dairy-free and fat free! Best stuff EVER!

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1464 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 667

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review