All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
"C" and not getting any relief - any ideas?
      #255288 - 03/30/06 04:05 AM
jend

Reged: 03/26/06
Loc: Smoky Mts.

I'm using 2 tsp. of acaica powder 2x a day. I put it in my funnel tea in the am/pm. I haven't had a bm in 5 days and even that wasn't much at all. I'm afraid to take a laxative for cramping and pain, plus I have to work. It's there anything that will help? I stopped taking zelnorm and erythromycin, because I didn't think it was making a diff. Also, I had GB surgery on 3-14, so that probably is playing a part. Any advice? Thanx so much

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: "C" and not getting any relief - any ideas? new
      #255297 - 03/30/06 05:35 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Maybe try eating some well cooked beans. It may cause gas, but it might help w/ C. Also, prune juice is great for C. How long have you been on acaica? It might take time to work.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#255317 - 03/30/06 08:00 AM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Be sure you are eating enough insoluble fiber. Are you drinking plenty of water? Glycerin suppositories work well when things get really backed up and don't usually cause nearly the cramping that laxatives do. They work quickly, so if you use them when you get home from work, you should be ok!

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#255506 - 03/31/06 04:00 AM
jend

I've now upped my dosage to 2 1/2 tsp. 2x day of acacia. I've been taking it for 8 days now. Tried the glycerin suppos. yesterday and they didn't work. You said the prune juice worked, how do you take it? I didn't think that it was good for you. I'm so sensitive right now. I don't each much because of the whole pain unable to move cycle. Has anyone ever tried the "smooth move" tea? I heard that they work really well for reg. joes. (my name for non-digestive challenged folk) Thanks for your advice!

#255511 - 03/31/06 06:42 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

With any supplement, you want to start off with a small amount & then increase slowly. You may be taking too high a dose. your system needs time to be introduced to the acacia.
Maybe try going to 1 teaspoon 2x a day & worling up from there. Increase every week. I know it doesn't seem to make sense, but this is IBS, so what does make sense? As for the prune juice, you can buy it at your grocerey store. I just drink it straight. Try it at room temp. How long did you leave the suppository in for?, It needs to be 15- 20 mins. I think. I'd try that if I were you, nothin to lose. I hope this helps.

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#255574 - 03/31/06 01:21 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

My usual IBS-C spiel:

1. Are you getting enough insoluble fiber (IF)? You need to get some with every meal! Slowly increase the amounts until you get relief. Use fruits and veggies to do this - whole grains are a little more problematic.

2. Are you getting enough to drink? Aim for at least 90 oz. of liquid a day.

3. Are you exercising? You need to move every day so you can, er, move every day. Temporarily increasing the intensity can help when you're stuck in a C phase.

Acacia alone doesn't fix IBS-C. What does is eating IF safely along with SF at every meal, and getting enough fluids and exercise.

--AC

#255587 - 03/31/06 02:28 PM
jend

I'm still trying to adjust to just the super soft SF. I'm trying to get to where I feel good enough to do some time on my treadmill. I'm drinking about 50 oz. on a good day. Shouldn't I wait until I can actually have at least 2 meals a day without cramping up and ending on the floor or up all night? I'm so FRUSTRATED!! 8 months and still no change. Sorry, it just gets very dissapointing. Thanks for the advice and could you guys let me know what you did when you were trying to stablize? Even if you have a bad day do you try the IF again?

#255614 - 03/31/06 05:07 PM
maia

Reged: 10/15/05
Loc: Kaua'i, Hawai'i

I ahve been using glycerin suppositores every day of my life for about 35 years!(since my early 20's).
To say that I am dependant on them is an undestatement.

I often have to use more than one. I put one in and leave it for as only as 45 minutes if nessary. Then If nothing or just a little comes out, I put in another and leave it for anywhere from 30 secs to one minute. I KEEP DOING THIS until I feel finished. Of course suppostories are habit forming...I am a living example of that fact.

--------------------
Maia Nartoomid
IBS-C, spastic gas
Kaua'i, Hawai'i

#255627 - 03/31/06 06:16 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

In a reply below you said you've only been using acacia for 8 days. Please be patient, and increase insoluble fibre intake too...have a fruit smoothie, well cooked beans, or other veggies, etc.

Re: "C" and not getting any relief - Elvis has left the building! new
      #255683 - 04/01/06 03:53 AM
jend

Elvis has left the building! or at least some of his entourage! A year ago I would've never thought that I would've gotten so excited about my bathroom activities or sharing them so openly. I'm gonna continue to use the acacia, try some lentil soup today and hopefully get some exercise in, walking. Thanks so much for all of your advice. On mornings like this, I feel like I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I know that there will be bad days, I just want to outnumber them with the good

LOL!!!! None of us ever thought we'd talk this way....nt new
      #255690 - 04/01/06 06:19 AM
ecmmbm

Reged: 02/23/03
Loc: North Carolina

--------------------
Take care,
Michelle
...the greatest of these is LOVE. (I Cor 13)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3508 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review