All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Semi IBS question - but guessing people on here will know. RE diagnostic tests
      #254718 - 03/27/06 09:58 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

My boyfriend has been poorly, with similar symptoms to IBS-D, but a couple of times he has had 'accidents' in his pants with no prior warnings - severe D without even realising he was going to do it. He's obviously really worried.

He had an endoscopy 3 weeks ago, and blood and biopsies were taken. He's just seen his consultant with the results, who said all tests clear (not an infection, etc, not coeliac disease), but he's confused. He says he's sure it's not IBS, he's consulted with 5 other consultants and not one of them has had a patient who suffered from IBS in isolation that had sudden, unpredicted bowel incontinence.

So... He has a barium meal next week, a barium enema the week after (lovely ) but then, a week after that, he has another test that the doc didn't give him the name for. He said it's to investigate the possibility of a gallbladder that isn't working properly, called it some kind of 'bile acid test', and said it's really, really unplesant.

He'd obviously like to look up what the test is, but without a name it's difficult! I was just wondering if anyone had had a test that sounded like this, and if so what it involves?

Any advice much appreciated, as my boyfriend is really quite wound up and worried at the moment, both about the diagnosis and the test/s...

Thanks all

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Some gall bladder tests new
      #254746 - 03/27/06 10:29 AM
kmk

Reged: 01/11/06
Loc: NY

The only thing I can think of is if it is a bile acid test, all that is more blood work.

The other standard tests of the gall bladder are X-ray, ultra sound, CT scan.

One test that might present some difficulties is the radionucleotide scan. In some cases they make you eat or administer you a high fat food to "active"the gall bladder which could be unpleasent for someone already with abdominal pain and discomfort.

Although it may be a endoscopic retrograde cholangiopancreatography. Simply put, the doctor inserts an endoscope through the mouth down to the small intestine and injects a dye to allow the ducts to stand out. That would be unpleasent.

All of these tests are used to look for gallstones.

--------------------
Here...there....everywhere

Re: Some gall bladder tests new
      #254970 - 03/28/06 11:49 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Thanks for your help. Unfortunately when I search for 'acid bile test' they only references are regarding doing the test on dogs!

Searching on your other suggestions really informative though - thankyou so much.

Doh...

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4185 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 556

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review