All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
severe abdominal distension from fluid retention - is this IBS?
      #254347 - 03/25/06 03:23 AM
al

Reged: 03/06/06

tried to find out if this qualifies as bloating, but it seems bloating refers to gas?
i dont have any gas but i do have severe abdominal distension, it starts to get a bit better but then comes back as bad or worse than before.

i cant find a decent doctor, the ones i have seen so far are immature idiots. because i have a mental illness, they seem to think it is impossible for me to have any other kind of illness

they ignored my shoulder and upper back pain for a YEAR! finally went to the ER where i was told my gallbladder was so full of stones it was contracted apon itself and stuck to my liver....
oh yeh, i was mad

my insurance severely limits my choices for doctors, and so i am trying to "cure myself" of what they think are non existant (or all in my head) problems

it is very discouraging

i am 50 yrs old and could have all sorts of other things- uterine or ovarian fibroids, for examole, but the last four times i saw a doctor, they did not even do any sort of exam at all, just ordered bloodwork

its almost as if they are afraid to touch me, afraid they will get sick or something. i am so totally fed up with these ignorant and insensitive fools.

it was not like this in the state i originally came from.

totally fed up and discouraged
althea

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: severe abdominal distension from fluid retention - is this IBS? new
      #254460 - 03/25/06 08:02 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I used to get a really bloated stomach without gas and I'm pretty sure without fluid retention. I really have no idea what it was, my stomach just got swollen looking and firm. I know it was directly related to me eating a lot of dairy, and once I cut dairy out it never happened again.

If you notice it happening pretty soon after eating something, you may want to look back and figure out if there was some kind of food that would be a trigger. Fennel tea and peppermint tea help, as well as stretching or trying to move you stomach around a bit to relieve pressure.
Hope you feel better,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

Do you get bloating in other places, besides the belly? new
      #254534 - 03/26/06 08:21 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I get swollen legs too....and ankles. Retaining wate there too. Is this connected to the IBS?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: severe abdominal distension from fluid retention - is this IBS? new
      #254549 - 03/26/06 10:33 AM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I am a way bloaty person, but if this has come on at all suddenly, you really need to get a gyn to look at you. Ovarian cancer will cause sudden bloating, and it's quite treatable if you catch it early (my friend who got the big O.C. at age 26 is now about to celebrate her 35th birthday!).

On the other hand, if you've had it for a while, I would definitely look into yoga and fennel tea. If a couple of weeks of that helps with the bloating, it's probably just IBS. (And if you're C, make sure you're getting enough insoluble fiber!)

--AC

can you premix the acacia fiber? new
      #254868 - 03/27/06 09:27 PM
al

Reged: 03/06/06

well i am not sure what is going on but i think i can relax about anything serious like cancer

in one week (actually about three days) i went from a 50+" waist to about 40.5"

um, okayyyy! something is not right here!

i have recently discontinued some medications and that has to be having some effect
but i also just finished up another period (lord when are they gonna end??? i am 50 now i am ready and anxious for menopause!!)

i guess the combination of IBS the meds i was on and perimenopause is the problem

i have been much more careful wiht my diet, so that is helping

and i am gonna switch from benefiber to the acacia fiber, just need to warm up the ol credit card and order some!

speaking of which- does anyone know if you can mix up a batch of milk (yes i am SURE i can have it!!) with acacia fiber, to add to hot herbal tea?
i have heard that you shouldnt add the fiber to really hot stuff
i know the benefiber does not dissolve if my tea is too hot.

i was thinking of putting some acacia fiber in a small bottle of milk that i use to add to my tea, and then just shaking it well before using
will this work?
it wont thicken up or something?

thanks!
will have to look into that yoga stuff

Re: can you premix the acacia fiber? new
      #254905 - 03/28/06 06:07 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

Definetly the combo of period, IBS, maybe a few foods that didn't agree, they could all have contributed.

Yep it will mix fiber in with cold liquids and you can leave it sitting for as long as you want. I premix it into SOY milk and water all the time.

How are you absolutely sure you can have milk? Just curious here. I thought I could handle small amounts of milk (such as with cereal, or a bit of cheese) and I never got rid of my symptoms until I cut all of it out. Especially the blown-up-belly thing, instantly gone when I stopped milk.

Hope you keep doing well!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

If you are still having bloating new
      #254907 - 03/28/06 06:10 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...then you don't know that milk is safe for you. That's the bottom line. As long as you continue to have problems, you can't assume that a food/drink is okay for you.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: i always add benefiber to tea.... new
      #254941 - 03/28/06 08:40 AM
Alli

Reged: 04/23/05

Is this wrong? ..Maybe I should stop doing that?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2030 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3166

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review