All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Are these safe or bad? (UK brands, not sure if US equivalents exist)
      #253382 - 03/21/06 08:26 AM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Just wondering if some of my frequent drinks are IBS-safe. Only just realised they might not be!

1) Lemon Barley Water (diluted with about 8 parts water)
(Ingredients: Water, glucose-fructose syprup (know fructose isn't great...) lemon juice from concentrate, sugar, barley flour, citric acid, preservatives - potassium sorbate, sodium metabisulphite, Ascorbic Acid, Flavouring, Sacharin)

Why is it I think I've answered my own question on this one?!

2) Lucozade Sport (I have low blood pressure, and sometimes this is the only thing that stops me passing out)
(Ingredients: Water, Carboydrate Blend [Glucose syrup, Maltodextrin], Citric Acid, Acidity Regulator [Sodium Citrate], Preservatives [Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate], Antioxidant [Ascorbic Acid], Sweeteners, Flavouring, Stabiliser (Acacia Gum), Vitamins, Colour [Beta Carotene]. Contains a source of Phenylatanine.)

3) Muller Vitality Pre & Probiotic Yogurt Drink
Now I know this is yoghurt based, which is dairy, but I'm told by my doc I should drink it as it will help re-establish my gut bacteria - I have post infection IBS.
(Ingredients: Yogurt, Peach Puree, Pineapple Juice from concentrate, Inulin, Fructose (doh...), Modified Maize Starch, Omega 3 from refined fish oil, flavourings, gelatine, sweeteners [aspartame, acesulfame K], Cultures [Bifidobacterium sp., Lactobacillus acidophilus, Vitamin E, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin B2, Thiamin B1]. Contains a source of phenylalanine)

Flippin' 'eck, as I've looked at the ingredients, I guess I've seen these aren't safe! But, are any of them, well, sort of semi-safe...?!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Are these safe or bad? (UK brands, not sure if US equivalents exist) new
      #253386 - 03/21/06 08:46 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

>Now I know this is yoghurt based, which is dairy, but I'm told by my doc I should drink it as it will help re-establish my gut bacteria - I have post infection IBS.

NO! dairy is bad bad bad, stay away from it. There are other ways of re-establishing gut bacteria with pre and pro-biotics, that doesn't involve consuming dairy. I'm not familiar with them, but try a search on the boards. I was told by a doctor as well to eat yogurt and trust me, do not!

The Lucozade Sport sounds a lot like our Gatorade sport, and you might find it tolerable. The lemon juice I'm not sure on, I stay away from fruit juices as I find they hurt.

I try to drink mostly water, tea, and soy milk.

Goodluck, and hopefully someone can help with the pre/pro biotics information?
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253569 - 03/21/06 04:56 PM
Blondie13

Reged: 02/28/06
Loc: Sheffield, England

Thanks for that. Think I already knew the truth to be honest, but was kind of hoping I was wrong!

Shuffles off to throw (yummy) yoghurt drinks in bin and figure out different pre-biotics/pro-biotics options...

Doh!

--------------------
http://ibsblondie13.blogspot.com/

#253628 - 03/22/06 03:30 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Those drinks aren't safe b/c they have artificial sweeteners in them.

Acacia ia a good prebiotic and you can get probiotics at any health food store. Your doc was talking b*&^%$£t b/c those yogurt drinks acatually only have a relatively
small amount of a restricted range of probiotics!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 526 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 805

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review