All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Food Poisoning and IBS !!!
      #253369 - 03/21/06 07:56 AM
dane1958

Reged: 01/27/06

I contracted a violent case of food poisoning 8 days ago and am still suffering the effects of it compounded by IBS..I am nervous about what to eat and will probably stick to BRAT again today..Yesterday was 1st day I did not pass what I had eaten right out of me. Any suggestions?? I have been twice to the ER for fluids b/c of dehydration..diarrhea has been constant until yesterday. Drs say it will take time to heal the inflammation of the bowel lining. Makes sense but what am I to do to get stronger??? Any help is appreciated.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Food Poisoning and IBS !!! new
      #253391 - 03/21/06 08:54 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I would follow the safe diet for a couple days until the D is fully gone (see what to eat when you can't eat anything: http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/what_to_eat.asp ). If you read this page, it says how to eat the first couple days, then tips on incorporating more foods that would give you energy.

Hope you feel better soon!
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253402 - 03/21/06 09:14 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I would also find myself some good probiotics to take for now.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#253404 - 03/21/06 09:15 AM
GATC4u

Reged: 03/18/06
Loc: soCal

If I were you I would stick to some good old jello (to get enough sugar to keep your brain and body functioning) and lots of Pedialyte to help replenish your electrolytes and keep you hydrated. I have often had food poisoning that was compounded by my IBS and sometimes it takes me up to 2 weeeks to fully recover. I have such a sensitive stomach. When I get sick like this I just hold off on most solid foods but continue to drink plenty of fluids and take my probiotics. Hope you feel better soon.

#253938 - 03/23/06 08:37 AM
dane1958

Reged: 01/27/06

Thanks for the advice..it has taken 9 days to really get passed very bad D and no solid food in those days..toast,rice, oatmeal(yesterday) and just lots of fluids so I do not continue to dehydrate..Trying grilled plain chicken tonite just b/c I need to eat something..no pains in a couple days so we'll see!! Feeling better and thanks for your support..

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 368 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 591

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review