All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Augie
      #253102 - 03/19/06 06:21 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Just to give you an update... I have eaten wheat bread on 2 occasions so far and have not had a noticable reaction to it.I'm still taking it slow though.

--------------------
Kim

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Wow, you took the plunge! new
      #253141 - 03/20/06 07:01 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I'm so impressed! I am so scared. I just feel like if I don't eat GF, I'll never have a chance of feeling better. I just can't forget about the gluten antibodies I tested positive for...and wonder and worry.

My doctor has prescribed a little expanding of my diet...not with wheat but to try baby steps like Spelt breads, oats, barley. I still haven't ventured away though. In fact, I just made GF applesauce bread and GF brownies yesterday.

Thanks for keeping me posted! Was it whole wheat bread or just regular white bread? Were you really worried? What made you do it?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Wow, you took the plunge! new
      #253261 - 03/20/06 04:22 PM
Kim2884

I definitely understand your worries. I was worried too, but I knew that being so anxious about what foods I can eat, and what has gluten in it would only make me worse. So, I just decided I was gonna try it.. just once.. and see what happened. It was actually whole-wheat bread. And I was fine. I still am cautious, but I'm sure after a few more safe experiences with wheat, I will be able to relax and feel better. If you can get up the courage to try it..even if it is oats or spelt or something..I think you should. That way at least you can know if it really bothers you or not. It definitely gives me some peace of mind.

--------------------
Kim

Re: Wow, you took the plunge! new
      #253289 - 03/20/06 06:44 PM
Augie

Are you still basically eating gluten free products though? Is your mainstream diet GF? I'm not sure how far into the world of gluten you are going?

Are you looking to eventually eat all gluten foods and not buy GF anymore.

One more thing...where do you live in CT? My big brother lives there. It's a beautiful state!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Wow, you took the plunge!-bump for Kim-nt new
      #253734 - 03/22/06 10:32 AM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Hey Kim...how's the gluten going down? new
      #258796 - 04/18/06 07:08 PM
Augie

Are you still eating gluten? Or did you go back to the GF diet? Just curious. I'm still on the fence!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Hey Kim...how's the gluten going down? new
      #258866 - 04/19/06 06:14 AM
Kim2884

Ha.. i'm still eating GF for the most part. I told you I had some wheat toast twice and was fine.. but then I had it a third time, and the next day started a week of bad days for me. I think it was probably just coincidence, since I was fine before, and I've had plenty of bad days even eating GF, but now I'm afraid to eat it again. I am determined to get myself to eat wheat regularly though. I am getting married in July and I want to have cake at my wedding, and I don't want to worry about eating GF on my honeymoon! I am going to disneyworld, and their dining options are pretty limited for someone who has IBS and wants to eat healthfully, let alone GF! If I can eat wheat, at least I can have turkey sandwiches or something like that. I will definitely keep you posted.

--------------------
Kim

Please do keep me posted new
      #258983 - 04/19/06 12:57 PM
Augie

I know EXACTLY what your battling with trying to go back on gluten and the fear.... I still don't know if it's the right thing to do considering I did have antibodies 3 times I was tested!

My PCP told me that I have antibodies so why goof up one piece of the puzzle...that my pain is because I still have other things wrong. My gastro and Health Psychologist are trying to get me off gluten free diet. This is the email I got from the Health Psychologist today. " I think the important thing to remember is that a) you have IBS and b) the gluten free diet has not helped you and has reduced your quality of life and exacerbated your concerns about foods. You do not have to make changes yet though—remember our first goal is to get you committed to an IBS program".

Now, she doesn't tell me what the IBS program is! She doesn't think it's this diet.

How can you be so sure we shouldn't be eating GF? you had antibodies too, right? I would really appreciate your thoughts. I know you are a nutrition major!

How exciting that you are getting married. Yep...going on a honeymoon and eating GF and IBS safe would be so hard. I think I'd starve! It may be what you need to force you to be eating gluten again, though!

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Please do keep me posted new
      #259382 - 04/21/06 05:27 AM
Kim2884

The reason I think I shouldn't have to eat GF is because, I only had ONE elevated antibody, and it was only elevated a little. It was not even in the "positive result" category.

Plus, I still have problems even when eating 100% GF. And, I don't have a negative reaction every time I eat wheat. If I truly had a gluten intolerance, I think there would be more correlation between my diet and my symptoms, but there doesn't appear to be any.

Logic tells me there's no reason for me not to eat gluten. Unfortunately, my anxiety tends to trump logic for me, which is why I still eat GF most of the time. I do think you should try eating wheat for a while to see how it really does affect you, but I totally understand why you'd be afraid... especially if your antibodies were elevated 3 times. I only had mine tested once.

But why don't you ask your doctor about the gene test in the meantime?? The gene test doesn't require you to eat gluten beforehand and is much simpler and less scary than the small-bowel biopsy. If it's negative, you can be sure you don't have celiac. If it's positive, maybe gluten is one piece of the puzzle for you.

--------------------
Kim

#259412 - 04/21/06 07:15 AM
Augie

I wouldn't eat GF if I had your test results either, Kim. Only One elevated antibody which wasn't even high enough to be positive...I think you should be just fine eating gluten!

My 2 antibodies were pretty high. I did have the gene test already...but that was normal...so I know I don't have full celiac disease. The problem is that the doctors are still arguing about whether there are degrees of gluten intolerance...and that people with celiac are not the only ones that should avoid gluten. Some doctors believe that having some of the antibody test come back positive means there is a problem with gluten...just not celiac. Others disagree. they say many people can test positive for the antibodies....even people who have no GI distress at all...and it is fine for them to eat gluten. This is such a mess.

Good luck with overcoming your anxiety. For what it's worth, I persoanally don't think it should be a problem for you to eat gluten at all.

BTW, what do you put in your tortilla wrap? I found some of them last weekend.

--------------------
~ Beth

#259492 - 04/21/06 11:52 AM
Kim2884

Yeah, it is confusing. I wish there was some kind of consensus! You don't know what to believe.

I usually put turkey in my wraps. But you could really use any low fat meat...or even grilled veggies or something like that. I also like to eat mine warmed up w/a little "I can't believe it's not butter" spray and a sprinkle of cinammon & sugar. It sounds weird, but I love it. Another idea if you can tolerate cheese is quesadillas.

--------------------
Kim

Celiac? new
      #259495 - 04/21/06 12:15 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Sorry for wading in here. I thought the only truly conclusive way to test for Celiac Disease was to have a tube put down your throat and a biopsy taken, and then for the procedure to be repeated some months later and maybe again after that. I believe if you go through these unpleasant tests, the results are fairly sound.

While I wouldn't want to go through those tests, it would be a terrible shame to go through life eating gluton-free when, in fact, you might not need to because you might not have Celiac Disease. On the other hand, it would be even more terrible to not know for sure if you had Celiac Disease and for internal damage to occur from eating gluton.

If you have eaten some wheat bread recently and felt fine, hopefully you are okay. Some Celiac people experience discomfort even if their food gets contaminated with just one tiny crumb of gluton! However, others experience no symptoms at all -- they have something called silent Celiac -- but internal damage occurs just the same. So having no symptoms is no guarantee it's okay to eat gluton.

If you have IBS, whole wheat isn't generally recommended although some people are able to tolerate it. I, for one, cannot tolerate whole wheat bread products at all. I have to stick with bread products made from refined white wheat flour. I know refined white flour is not healthy, but at least I can tolerate it.

My biopsy was normal new
      #259497 - 04/21/06 12:28 PM
Augie

I have gluten antibodies in the blood , though.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: My biopsy was normal new
      #259500 - 04/21/06 01:16 PM
belinda

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

I believe Celiac Disease is not that easy to diagnose so it's possible the biopsy results may not necessarily mean you don't have Celiac Disease. I believe the biopsy must be done before treatment is started and I think more than one biopsy needs to take place for Celiac diagnosis.

Here is a link to some interesting information on the Canadian Celiac Association's website: www.celiac.ca/EnglishCCA/eceliac.html

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5435 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1952

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review