All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
how do i get my protein???
      #253083 - 03/19/06 03:51 PM
tayjay

Reged: 11/28/05
Loc: Auburn University, Alabama

I'm having a hard time getting the proper amount of protein in my diet these days. Especially after a workout I feel so lethargic and I can never find something quick to grab with enough protein to re-energize me. I'm a college student and always on the run. I don't have a lot of time to prepare proper meals for myself. Does anyone have any (cheap) practical ideas of how to get enough protein in my diet? I could use your help!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how do i get my protein??? new
      #253084 - 03/19/06 03:58 PM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

I get my protein from Luna bars, Silk Soy milk, chicken, turkey, fish, shrimp (I buy a bag of frozen cooked ones, just take out and thaw anytime).

What about a protein-rich smoothie? Do a search on this board, or the recipe board. I haven't tried making any yet, but they're pretty quick.

Good luck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253093 - 03/19/06 05:21 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I'm not sure what you eat on a daily basis, so I'll suggest what I can think of...

Breakfast: Oatmeal has more protein than other grains, and instant is as fast as it gets. Luna bars are good option on the go.

Lunch and dinner: Turkey and chicken are the no-brainers... you can find turkey subs or grilled chicken sandwiches just about anywhere. If you go for veggie burgers, pick soy ones rather than, say, Gardenburgers, which are mostly rice and vegetables. Legumes, if you can tolerate them, are good too. Love that hummus!

Snacks: Luna bars. Hard-boiled eggs (toss the yolks) topped with a little guacamole (yes, really!). Turkey jerky. Soy milk. Soy protein shakes - Spiru-Tein is a good, safe one - it's not cheap, but there are ready-to-drink ones that you can grab on the go.

If you're just looking for a boost, the snack ideas might be the best ones. If you're eating a fairly balanced diet, I can almost guarantee you're getting enough protein, even if you happen to be vegetarian - vegetables and grains do contain some protein.

No soy and trouble with balanced diet!! new
      #253111 - 03/19/06 08:55 PM
tayjay

Well, I can't eat soy. I'm allergic to it Any alternative suggestions for getting protein from soy??? And honestly, my diet hasn't been very balanced lately. I'm having a hard time figuring out what to eat on a daily basis b/c my schedule is so busy and these days money is super TIGHT! If I buy fruit or vegetables from the grocery store it goes bad b/c I dont know how to incorporate it into my diet OR i forget about it. Should I make out a meal plan for the week or something? I don't know, for some reason I'm having a really hard time with this right now. Help!!

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

#253125 - 03/20/06 04:22 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

I get mine from chicken or turkey. Just a small piece for lunch or dinner. How about a little peanut butter. I think the luna bars have soy in them so that won't work for you. Egg whites that were mentioned are a quick snack.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Re: No soy and trouble with balanced diet!! new
      #253128 - 03/20/06 04:31 AM
franny

Reged: 05/16/05
Loc: N. FL

Yes, a meal plan would help with eating and spending. When I started out I kept it as simple as possible. I used the cheat sheet and some of Heather's list of safe foods to make a grocery list up. A few quick things, Casey mentioned the Turkey jerky (Walmart)keep in the car and some dried fruit would help with the spoiling problem. You can dry your own in the oven. According to Heather some dried fruits are actually fried. I like dried mango in the package, pricy but you can make it last longggggg.

I'm not an expert but your sluggishness after exercise could also be a drop in sugar, carry a carb snack (I never leave home without a luna bar) with you and as you probably know, keep hydrated. Have a great day..

--------------------
Franny
IBS/D
Celiac

#253135 - 03/20/06 06:25 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I just wanted to say if you are allergic to soy, then Luna Bars are off limits too, as they contain soy.

What about quinoa? It's a grain and also has huge amounts of protein. I think it may be considered an acceptable substitue for protein from chicken or fish.

I vote for a meal plan! In fact, I should do this too. That way, I'm not scrambling for my ideas at 6am! This way, you can make a shopping list from the weeks menues for on the weekends too.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#253148 - 03/20/06 07:38 AM
K2

Reged: 01/29/06
Loc: Canada

There are other milks like rice or almond, but they have very low protein amounts. They could be used however to make a protein shake if you can find a good protein powder. This would definetly help get you enough protein.

It sounds like the lethargic after-workout feeling means you need more than just protein. What I usually have after a workout is a turkey sandwich. The bread is carbs, the turkey is protein. If lunch meat seems expensive, try buying chicken or turkey breasts, cooking them for dinner, and using leftovers in sandwiches.

Also make sure you're eating enough before working out. Eat a good breakfast, and keep up your energy through the day. I try having a banana about 45 mins before working out.

Goodluck,
Kat

--------------------
Kat

#253170 - 03/20/06 10:19 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Can you handle egg whites? They're great for a major protein "hit." Egg whites are also available in protein powder form.
Another type of protein powder is Rice Protein.

Can you eat nuts/seeds or their butters? How about beans/legumes beyond soy? If you can tolerate them, they are wonderful portable protein or meal/snack compliments.

Kate, IBS-D.

beans/legumes??
      #253187 - 03/20/06 11:27 AM
tayjay

Do you buy these in the can or in the produce section??? And how do you go about cooking them? Or really my question is, what do you cook them with?

--------------------
Taylor
IBS-D

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 296 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4664

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review