All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Frustrated With Bland Chicken, What Sauces Are Safe?
      #252806 - 03/17/06 05:14 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Hi, I've been having a problem with sauces.

I notice, particularly now, that I am sensitive to flavor sauces put on chicken. I have no problem forgoing meat, but when having chicken and rice, it really is essential to have something, a sauce, to flavor it up. Otherwise, the meal is so bland; it is almost unbearable to eat.
I've tried to buy sauces without High Fructose Corn Syrup or ones low in vinegar; however, the same problem remains. I feel very bloated after having them, even some of Trader Joe's.
I don't know if you have a whole foods near you, but I wanted to know if you have this problem, and if not, what you make of this, and what sauces, specific brands, you use.
I like
-Frank's hot sauce -Barbeque Sauce -La Choy Soy Sauce -Soy Vey(Trader Joe's) Teriyaki Sauce
-The last two, for some reason, cause issues, more so when added not marinated.
Any clue on why and what I can do so as not have sauce less, awful tasting chicken?

I really do need to have premade bottled sauces, I only occasional will be able to make my own, it is hard enough getting a chance to make food.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Frustrated With Bland Chicken, What Sauces Are Safe? new
      #252815 - 03/17/06 05:44 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I strongly advise making your own sauces with organic ingredients as you sound very sensitive.

With IBS, there is no ultimately safe sauce. It's not a one-size or bottle/label/brand suits all situation. If I'm in a fragile state, even soy sauce would send me into an attack.

Making a safe sauce is not challenging. Often HUNGER is the ultimate flavour enhancer.

Kate, IBS-D.

Edited by Wind (03/17/06 05:47 PM)

#252853 - 03/17/06 10:42 PM
Naturapanic

What I really don't understand is, virtually ANYTIME I go to a restaraunt and order
-Buffalo, Barbeque, Soy sauce Chicken

I never get any bad reaction.
For instance, I go out and order Babreque Chicken, I'm cool.
I order Buffalo Chicken from Subway, again, I'm cool.

Yet I use a sauce at home, trouble.
I don't get it, what safe sauces have and of YOU had PERSONAL safe experiences with?

I'm looking for safe Barbeque, Hot Sauce, Soy Sauce, Teryaki Sauce, Italian, Greek, French Dressing.
I wish there was a sticky for this.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I actually get sauces at meijers more then trader joes.. new
      #252866 - 03/18/06 05:44 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

they have a signature line... with no fructose, no msg, no carageenan, no dairy in most of them (not all!) including a mango chipotle and few other bbq inspired things.. I also found a general tsos sauce without any of those things in it... but mostly I second kate and make my own things... and your lucky- I can't have a lot of the things you have mentioned in that post!

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

How about spices? new
      #252872 - 03/18/06 06:14 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I almost never put sauces on chicken, because it's so hard to find good ones. I spice it up instead. My favorite fast standby is to bake chicken generously seasoned with salt and Mrs. Dash. It really can't get any simpler than that.

Rice can similarly be cooked with broth instead of water, and seasoned up to suit just about any taste... curries, saffron, adding vegetables to it. Sometimes I just use the Goya boxed rice mixes. I know you say you don't have time or opportunity to cook, but if you make a big batch of the stuff, it keeps well in the fridge, or can even be frozen in portions.

The answer is this simple new
      #252906 - 03/18/06 11:01 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

SKIP THE SAUCES!!!

As Amie & Atomic Rose said, it's much more interesting, cheaper & safer to spice up your own food. It will save your tummy infinite grief! I cannot tolerate sauces, but give me some herbs & spices, sea salt & fresh lemons, & food tastes amazing. Most bottled sauces are full of all kinds of preservatives and pure crap, seaweeds & gums & mysterious "food starches," that wreck havoc on the g.i. tract. Half of them have modified milk ingredients & msg & hfcs. Even fatfree Italian dressing can do a nasty number on me & leave me with the hiccups for a day & a half! So...explore things like Mrs. Dash & all kinds of spiced shakers--thai, curry, garam masala, chipolte, etc. A fresh lemon does wonders for
adding zest & life to food. Lavender sea salt is divine. Tarragon dijon mustard is full of bite. Even silly things like garlic or onion powder accentuate the food.

Are you eating the food or the sauce? What is the big deal?
Get thee spice/herb shopping. Mmmmm...the smell of thyme or woodsy summer savory...the warmth of cumin...toasted fennel seeds, etc. Fresh ginger...so soothing. Mint, so cleansing to the palatte. Truly...food is not boring with a hint of spice. Ginger tea accidentally spilled in my chicken salad the other day and holy wonderful accidental taste bud surprise.

I think you're a wee bit obsessed with this issue. There is no "sticky." You know what will set you into an attack. Store bought stinks. There's just something suspect about it as I've learned from past experience & don't waste my time. One of my favourite flavour boosters, lately, is incorporating carrot or beet juice into a dish. Yum...curried carrot juice vinaigrette.

Kate, IBS-D.

Re: How about spices? new
      #252907 - 03/18/06 11:04 AM
Naturapanic

Thanks!
Interesting then that I am not the only one.
What is about store bought sauces which hurt us?

You know what I really don't understand, why is it at restaraunts I don't have this problem?
Is there anything specific in the sauces to avoid besides fructose, xanthum gum, and careegan?

I go to subway, order chicken with Buffalo sauce, no issues.
Same with Barbeque chicken.

I would think Subway of all places would use a premade bottled sauce much like you buy at the stores.
I don't get it.

What about Whole foods?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

I have two sauces you may like! new
      #252940 - 03/18/06 02:07 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I love to cook chicken with Heather's BBQ sauce from the EFI cookbook. She uses it on her pizza recipe, but it tastes awesome on oven baked chicken as well.

If you don't have the book it's basically just ketchup, ground chipotle pepper, white vinegar and honey. I use about 4 oz. of ketchup, 1 tsp. vinegar, 1 tsp honey, and season to taste with the chipotle.

I also stir fry my chicken in a homemade teriyaki sauce. It's 2 tbsp. soy sauce, 2 tbsp. brown sugar, 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, 1 tbsp. canola oil, 1/2 tsp. ground mustard, and 1/2 tsp. ground ginger! This sauce goes well on anything!

Re: I have two sauces you may like! new
      #252950 - 03/18/06 02:54 PM
Naturapanic

Thanks!
What kind of ketchup do you buy, I would hate to use the wrong kind and get ill.
Same for the Soy Sauce.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#253002 - 03/18/06 09:15 PM
AmandaM

I usually get Kikkoman (sp) soy sauce. I use regular old Heinz ketchup. You could probably be safer and buy some organic stuff at your HFS.

How many servings do you get out of these?-nt new
      #253031 - 03/19/06 07:39 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#253042 - 03/19/06 09:12 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I usually get Kikkoman (sp) soy sauce. I use regular old Heinz ketchup. You could probably be safer and buy some organic stuff at your HFS.

I have a few follow up questions.
1) Is the kikkoman sauce safe to use solo? Is it safer than say La Choy?

2) Here are some sauces I use, do they look safe, I do understand why they would cause problems

Frank's-Aged Cayenne Red Peppers, Vinegar, Water, Salt and Garlic Powder

Soy Vay-All Natural Ingedients: Preservative Free Soy Sauce (Water, Wheat, Soybeans, Salt), Sugar, Expelled pressed Soy Oil, Fresh Garlic, Seasme Seeds, Dried Onion, Fresh Ginger, Garlic Granules, Expelled Pressed Seasme Oil, Onion Powder, Garlic Powder

General Tso-Sugar, Water, Soy Sauce (Water, Soybeans, Wheat, Salt), Distilled White Vinegar, Tomato Paste, Red Chili Pepper/Garlic Blend, Cornstarch, Garlic Powder, Autolyzed Yeast Extract Ginger, Oyster Extract, Lemon Juice Concentrate, Xanthan Gum, Onion Powder, Citric Acid, Spice

3) Here is the weird and tricky thing.
When I marinate the chicken during the day in the Soy Vay or Hot Sauce, I do not get that bad if any reaction.
Further, when I eat out, and order chicken cooked with Hot or BBQ sauce, I also report no problems.

So I do not understand, with no preservatives in these sauces, maybe the Xanthum Gum, but that is only in the General Tso, why would these sauces bother me.
More importantly, why is it at a restaraunt ordering food with these exact sauces does not bother me?

Do they use something different at subway?
I don't get it.

Do any of you have this weird problem, and lastly, do Whole Foods organic sauces work better?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#253061 - 03/19/06 11:37 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I personally would not be able to use the Frank's or the General Tso because of the chili peppers. I eat everything pretty bland and have never been able to stand hot or spicy food without a reaction. I also wouldn't be able to have the General Tso sauce because of the Autolyzed Yeast Extract. I am allergic to MSG and this is basically the same thing, different name.

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#253063 - 03/19/06 11:46 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

sorry I only mentioned that I could not use those sauces not why some could be a problem for you.
Do you eat more of an SF buffer when you are in the restaurant that you wouldn't eat with the chicken when you are at home, say rice or potatoes or bread for example.
The other possibility and I know it sounds strange but I find that the time of day I eat something makes a difference on how my stomach reacts to it. I can usually get away with more at night then I can earlier in the day. My breakfasts and lunches are always small and super safe and then I eat a larger meal for dinner.
The other thing I thought of is the amount of sauce used. In a restaurant maybe the chicken is only glazed a bit with the sauce for the flavour whereas at home you mentioned you marinate it all day.
Hmm I am trying to throw some possiblities out there for you as you seem confused about it and I guess I am as well. I hope you figure it out and I hope I have helped a bit!
Good Luck,
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#253080 - 03/19/06 03:23 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Everyone has posted some great ideas. Like you, I don't spend much time on cooking but here are my two cents:
My fave is fennel chicken - just sprinkle on fennel seeds, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (if you can handle pepper) and stick it in the oven. Tastes great and the fennel helps bloating!
I also like to dip my chicken in a blend of dijon mustard/safe mayo, or eat it with an organic, additive-free cranberry/orange sauce that I buy at the health food store -it's like thanksgiving every day of the year!
Other ideas: cumin, rosemary/thyme/lemon, coriander/lime... in short, make friends with your spice rack. Best of luck!

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Usually about 4. - nt new
      #253095 - 03/19/06 05:30 PM
AmandaM

#253096 - 03/19/06 05:32 PM
AmandaM

I've never had any problems using Kikkoman solo on rice or noodles. I've never used La Choy.

#253114 - 03/19/06 10:12 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

I've never had any problems using Kikkoman solo on rice or noodles. I've never used La Choy.

Any reason?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#253115 - 03/19/06 10:13 PM
Naturapanic

Quote:

Everyone has posted some great ideas. Like you, I don't spend much time on cooking but here are my two cents:
My fave is fennel chicken - just sprinkle on fennel seeds, sea salt and freshly ground black pepper (if you can handle pepper) and stick it in the oven. Tastes great and the fennel helps bloating!
I also like to dip my chicken in a blend of dijon mustard/safe mayo, or eat it with an organic, additive-free cranberry/orange sauce that I buy at the health food store -it's like thanksgiving every day of the year!
Other ideas: cumin, rosemary/thyme/lemon, coriander/lime... in short, make friends with your spice rack. Best of luck!

Thanks for your suggestions.

Is it possible to have good tasting chicken without sauce?
I broil my chicken, and without sauce, it usually tastes quite bland.
Is baking better?

Also, what about health food store sauces?
Would they tend be safe?
What do you consider to be safe mayo and mustard?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#253116 - 03/19/06 10:56 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

I am not totally sure if they sell this all over the US or just in the northwest, I think all over.

This is great on Chicken and very IBS friendly.

It is produced by a company that makes it for the resturants I was a chef with for twenty years. Its excellent on chicken prawns ribs all kinds of things.

You can also order the products online.

But its "Jake's Orange Mango BBQ Glaze"

http://www.trailblazerfoods.com/category.asp?parent_ctgy=2&name=Jakes

They have some good products.

There restaurants are now all over the country.

http://www.mccormickandschmicks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=content.display&pageID=4

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#253139 - 03/20/06 06:37 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

You REALLY can make your own marinades in seconds.
Try a simple marinade for chicken of:
soy sauce (a few tablespoons)
Lemon juice (a teaspoon or two)
dash worchestershire sauce (optional)
A couple teaspoons brown sugar
Optional garlic (or garlic powder)
Optional minced dried onion (or onion powder)
Optional minced ginger (or powdered)

Marinate for 30 or more (overnight even) and grill or cook in non stick pan.

For rice, you can bump up the flavour in oh so many ways.
You can throw in a small package of Lipton's Onion Soup into the pot while you're making it, or chicken broth instead of water, veggy broth instead of water,.

Check out the recipe board.
I have a microwave onion rice recipe that takes literally seconds to make and is totally yummy. Plus it makes a big batch - one that will last several days.
There's also a teriyaki marinade I make myself that is very flexible for whatever ingredients you have on hand.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

I think you're really reading too much into these responses... new
      #253142 - 03/20/06 07:03 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...you always tend to have a question to an answer. I honestly think she just didn't try those brands soy sauce not because they aren't safe, but because she just hasn't chose to buy those brands.

I know you used to post as Volatile, so I know you have problems with obssessive detailed worrying. I hope you will see a therapist about your obsessive fears.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Yup, Beth is right. I didn't get La Choy simply b/c it isn't the brand I buy. -nt new
      #253310 - 03/20/06 09:46 PM
AmandaM

#253328 - 03/21/06 05:08 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

Also, you really only need a few minutes every couple of weeks. Most of the homemade sauces keep well in the frig for that long, so if you take a half hour and make a few... I never have time to cook for myself and everyone else, so I've gotten good at cooking huge batches of rice, sauces, and chicken for lunches during the week, etc. A couple of my favorites include:

1. white wine,chicken broth,thyme, and a little corn starch for thickener

2. pineapple, crushed, with juice, a little worcestershire, brown sugar, and ketchup

3. I like to rub the Montreal Steak Seasoning in and let it sit all day, tehn quick grill it - this is even good cold, thinly sliced on a sandwich the next day.

Good luck. It sounds harder than it is.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

#253622 - 03/21/06 10:34 PM
Naturapanic

Thank you.
I have Heather's receipe book.
I will take a look at the sauces listed.

I have not really used the receipe book much simply because I feel some anxiety.
I feel overwhelmed in a sense I am still stabalizing, and looking at something all new with hundreads of receipes, well it can be a lot for the first time!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#255343 - 03/30/06 10:11 AM
Naturapanic

Quote:

You REALLY can make your own marinades in seconds.
Try a simple marinade for chicken of:
soy sauce (a few tablespoons)
Lemon juice (a teaspoon or two)
dash worchestershire sauce (optional)
A couple teaspoons brown sugar
Optional garlic (or garlic powder)
Optional minced dried onion (or onion powder)
Optional minced ginger (or powdered)

Marinate for 30 or more (overnight even) and grill or cook in non stick pan.

For rice, you can bump up the flavour in oh so many ways.
You can throw in a small package of Lipton's Onion Soup into the pot while you're making it, or chicken broth instead of water, veggy broth instead of water,.

Check out the recipe board.
I have a microwave onion rice recipe that takes literally seconds to make and is totally yummy. Plus it makes a big batch - one that will last several days.
There's also a teriyaki marinade I make myself that is very flexible for whatever ingredients you have on hand.

Hi, I went and took your suggestion!
I purchased a package of Lipton's Onion Soup.

I had a few questions.
1) I was concerned with the high amount of sodium. I am one of those people who can't tolerate high amounts of sodium, in fact I rarely have soup because it bloats my stomach. Almost any soup will do this.
So I was wondering if you knew of any Onion Soup Packages with low sodium, or if the Lipton's was safe?

2) I wanted to know, when I make Rice, I usually microwave 1-2 cups of Premade White Rice.
I wanted to know a) how much of the soup packet I should use b) how I should mix the two.
Should I simply take a certain portion of the package, mix it with the rice before, after, or midway through cooking?

3) Is it possible to use the Onion Soup Packet on things besides rice? I remember when I was a kid how great hamburgers tasted once when my mom mixed Onion Soup into the burgers. I was wondering if there were any receipes to mix onion soup with chicken in the oven.

I really would like to know where I can find simple receipes like these, I am not ready now for Heather's receipes, simple things such as this are good for the moment.
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#255387 - 03/30/06 01:28 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

See if you can find a generic no name brand that is low sodium. Alternately, you can just use low sodium broth and dried onion flakes. Same deal.
You put it in the water that you're cooking the rice in - it all gets cooked at the same time. For 1 - 2 cups, you could use probably the single serving size (a tablespoon or two). It would also cut down on the amount of sodium. You can ALWAYS substitute low sodium broth for water when making rice.
Oh, go to the lipton website. I'm sure they probably have recipes with their onion soup mix.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1499 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5484

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review