All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Two kids hurting...so is mom.
      #252013 - 03/13/06 06:02 PM
Flipada

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: West Michigan, USA

I don't know if it's a mere coincidence or what but I've been reading off this board for about 3 weeks. And then last week my little one (age 7) started feeling bad (nausea, cramping). I took him to doc, she X-rayed him and said he was constipated and really backed up. The cramps and nausea have kept him up at night. He actually has some history with this (from the time he was 2) but it hasn't happened for a long time. But he is chronically constipated with hard stools that actually plug up the toilet! Poor little guy!

Yesterday my oldest son (10) started with the same symptoms and was crying with pain. We went to doc, did X-rays and same diagnosis. Is this something hereditary? Can both of my kids be showing these signs at the same time? Am I doing something wrong? We eat pretty healthy around here..especially since I started on the diet.

What can I do to console them when they're hurting? They look to me to help but what can I do? I feel so helpless. It's one thing when I'm feeling that way but I can't take it seeing my kids hurting. I gave my oldest some Motrin and a heating pad and that seemed to help for a short time and then started up again. They're missing school. I'm pushing water...what else? Any help will be much appreciated!

--------------------
Flipada - IBS-C "It's a gas, gas, gas"
**Lauren**

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Two kids hurting...so is mom. new
      #252042 - 03/13/06 07:43 PM
hohoyumyum

Reged: 05/28/03
Loc: SacTown, CA

Have you asked their doc about fiber in their diet? Maybe adding some fruits or veggies would help. I'm so sorry they are having troubles. Poor guys.

--------------------
If you're not dead, you've still got time.

#252080 - 03/14/06 02:47 AM
Flipada

Yeah, thanks. We're working on that. Thankfully they both like prunes. But I just don't know what to do when they're having an attack. I was up several times last night with my oldest who was reacting like I did when I was in labor! He'll look at me with puppy dog eyes and all I can say is, "I'm so sorry...there's not much I can do but be here with you". That about kills me!

--------------------
**Lauren**

#252159 - 03/14/06 10:49 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Oh my. Can kids take that one pill that you dissolve in your mouth during an attack. Levbid, I think it is. Hyosamine, actually. It helped me during an attack. I keep them on hand. Poor guys. My son was having pee trouble and they xray'd and saw what they saw in your boys. He is on miralax everyday. I don't like that stuff, but he does really well with it.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#252212 - 03/14/06 03:39 PM
Flipada

Are those meds prescription? Neither of my boys have been diagnosed IBS but seem to show the signs. Doc just said they were constipated and backed up. She said to cut down on milk and add lots of water. But she gave me no advice for attacks. I don't think she gets it. I just didn't know if there was anything else I could do besides a heating pad for relief. I don't think she'd give me a prescription.

They're both feeling a bit better today. I'm so glad. And I might even get to sleep through the night tonight!

Thanks!

--------------------
**Lauren**

#252241 - 03/14/06 07:59 PM
scarrlet86

Reged: 02/21/06
Loc: California

My first advice is, find yourself a good gastroenterologist, if possible. Ask around to find a good one. It can make a big difference. Your doctor should listen and help. Second, consider getting them on a fiber supplement. There's of course heather's tummy fiber, which is great beacause you can't taste it. I like it in gatorade. You can buy 20 oz bottles of gatorade, drink a little off the top, and add two teaspoons of the tummy fiber, and shake. It'll take a few minutes to dissolve, but then you can't tell it's in there. This can be sipped on all day, with 4 grams of soluble fiber per bottle. Another thought, though I know Metamucil isn't always well liked on here, is getting the metamucil "cookies". I think they have appple cinnamon and like a maple flavor. As for food, you might try bananas (which are also tasty with cherios, minus the milk) and oatmeal. When they're having attacks, try to get them to drink lots of hot peppermint, chammomile, fennel, and/or ginger tea. There's one by Traditional Medicinals called "Eater's Digest" that has all but the chammomile, and is pretty effective with a wide range of tummy troubles (if you can't find it, you can get it on drugstore.com), and you can give them peppermint altoids and ginger candy by The Ginger People. You also might try a warm bath, and some tummy massage, rubbing in a circle clockwise. If nothing else, it can be very comforting to a child. The one medicine (prescription) I use for pain is hyoscyamine sulfate, I'm not sure of the brand name. It comes in little mint flavored pills that dissolve under your tongue. I hope at least one of these suggestions helps, that's gotta be hard watching your kids hurting.

#252244 - 03/14/06 08:21 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I don't have C, but I wanted to respond to your question about this condition being heredity. I was told by my doctor that there is strong suspicion that IBS can be passed along in families. My family is a prime example. Once I got diagnosed and began discussing my symptoms with my family, my mother and gradnmother both fessed up that they have suffered the same symptoms for as long as they can remember. Then my grandmother told me her mother, her aunts and her grandfather all had the same digestive problems. It certainly pays to discuss medical conditions openly! I wish someone would have done so earlier on when I was sick and couldn't figure out why! Perhaps take your kids to the GI and treated for IBS? It can't hurt.

I hope they feel better soon! Poor little guys

#252257 - 03/15/06 02:56 AM
Flipada

Thanks, Amanda. Funny you should mention that too because I was talking to my mom about it yesterday and apparently she and my dad AND my younger brother have all suffered much of the same. Who would have guessed? I suppose I'm the one with the big mouth in the family so...otherwise, we would have never know.

BTW, the kids slept through the night last night (so did I!) so...they're feeling much better. And I'm a little more rested!

--------------------
**Lauren**

#252258 - 03/15/06 02:58 AM
Flipada

Thanks so much for your suggestions. At least now, I feel I have some options! Great! It was the pain that was so hard to deal with. I appreciate it.

--------------------
**Lauren**

#252307 - 03/15/06 10:11 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Yes, they are prescriptions. I received them from my gastro doc. I hope you got a good night sleep.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 6447 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1363

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review