All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
IBS in the upper part of the gastric system???
      #25110 - 10/31/03 11:15 PM
BertL

Reged: 10/31/03

My problem is an extremely irritable esofagus and stomach. This is per definition a kind of IBS, but when this is said there is no more information on the subject in any of the books on IBS I have read. Nore are there any dietary or other suggestions. I would be very thankful for any advice.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: IBS in the upper part of the gastric system??? new
      #25111 - 10/31/03 11:40 PM
helloihaveibs

Reged: 10/19/03

Yes! i have the same problem, i get bad reflux and heartburn and pain high up in my stomach as well as colon. I also get a lot of sore throats. Is this a normal part of IBS does anyone know?

#25114 - 11/01/03 03:52 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I believe this is seperate from IBS. I've been diagnose with GERD and take Nexium for it. Without Nexium I deal with sharp upper stomach pain and heartburn.
Peppermint tea can make it worse if you are drinking it. Stay away from anything that is acidic, coffee, chocolate and dairy.
Do you take medication for it?
Hope this info helps.

#25116 - 11/01/03 04:55 AM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

I agree with Barb. I have GERDS too and take Prevacid for it!

Marnie

#25119 - 11/01/03 05:39 AM
BertL

Thank you all! My main problem is the extreme irritability, accompanied by a heavy pressure over my chest, irregulare heart ryth, falling blood pressure and quivering. Sometimes I feel like my stomach is, of a sudden, expanded like a balloon as from gas. Occasionally I also get muscular spasms, both in the stomach and esofagus and also in my chest and stomach muscles. These symptom are often similiar to those of a heart attack.

I do not know for sure if I have GERD (reflux), but if I have that is probably not the only cause of my problems. I use Gaviscon to prevent reflux when I sleep. I believe I might have dyspepsia. I cannot use Losec or any other really effective medicine to control the acid, because they upset my gastric system and produce the balloon effect. I also have to keep a very limited diet and most of the food I can eat are unfortionatly of the type producing more acid.

#25130 - 11/01/03 08:17 AM
Kandee

Reged: 05/22/03
Loc: USA, Southern California

You struck a familiar cord with me.

Have you been tested for any food allergy? 20 some odd years ago, before I developed IBS I had the same symptoms as you and it turned out I was allergic to wheat and chicken. (And what do most people eat when they are sick? Chicken soup and soda crackers!!) The feeling of having a heart attack you mentioned was so familiar. At that time insurance didn't cover anymore than the scratch allergy tests, and those weren't for food. I had to find a good allergist and get tested on my own. Once I had the diagnosis I avoided those foods and lived on Benedryl (before it was an OTC drug)and did A-OK. Living without wheat products years ago was the pitts. There just weren't good alternatives like there is today.

This may or may not be part of your problem but it IS worth considering if you are trying to get to the bottom of your distress. Good luck.....Kandee

--------------------

#25166 - 11/01/03 08:03 PM
BertL

Thank you! I will try to get tested for food allergies. I surely already know there are a few kinds of food I cannot eat, salt being the worst of all.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1395

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review