All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Heather-please read and help!! What can I eat?
      #25104 - 10/31/03 09:16 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Hi Heather. I have been having heart problems and fainting. The doctors told me today that I appear to be hypoclycemic. (Did I spell that right?) Anyway, I am supposed to eat a protein and complex carbohydrate every three hours. What can I eat????? I don't only want to eat soy as protein. Any other thoughts? I am a teacher, so I need quick protein and complex carb. ideas. Thanks!!
Leah

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Heather-please read and help!! What can I eat? new
      #25135 - 11/01/03 09:36 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Leah - how about things like canned tuna or cooked boneless skinless chicken breasts with bread, pita, crackers, tortilla, pasta, or rice. Or a baked potato topped with soy cheese (you can bake your potato ahead of time, then just reheat it real quick at work, if possible).

That's what I just thought of real quick. Maybe Heather will have some better answers for you though.

Good luck!

#25146 - 11/01/03 01:53 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Leah: Do you tolerate peanut/nut butters at all? That on some of the carbos Mags suggested is portable. I don't know how much protein is in hummus-but I love it on fat free chips, french bread, even pretzels!! also, there is some soy drinks that have both of what you need. Good Luck!!! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#25214 - 11/02/03 03:57 PM
Leah

Thanks for the tips! I have not tried peanut butter or nut butters yet. How have others tolerated them? Is there a brand that is easier to tolerate? I also bought some 3oz. cans of chicken breast and albacore tuna. I will try eating them with sourdough bread or another soluble fiber. Thanks again!

Re: for leah re: nut butters new
      #25216 - 11/02/03 04:23 PM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

Hi Leah! I find I can tolerate small amounts of peanut butter just fine. By small, I mean about a tablespoon
stirred into my oatmeal in the morning, or a thin layer on toast with jam. I think as long as I have
soluble fiber with it, I'm fine. Good luck trying it-hope it works for you! Linda

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

#25218 - 11/02/03 04:23 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

If you do try peanut butter, stick with a reduced fat kind and only use a little bit of it. It's the fat that is the main trigger in peanut butter. Also, try it on a big piece of white bread. That will give you a nice soluble fiber base.

#25241 - 11/02/03 06:51 PM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

Hi Leah,

I'm hypoglycemic as well, and must admit I struggled the first two weeks on Heather's diet. The reason was because my body was adjusting to new foods, and new "when I'm having an attack" foods. My hypoglycemia has been under control, and I think it's partially due to the fact that I have been eating healthier for the last five months. I eat a lot of chicken, shrimp and turkey. When I'm at work, I make sure to bring a turkey and soy cheese sandwich. Soy has been a large part of my protein intake...is it that you don't like soy? Soy yogurt is good and easy to cart around. Have you been diagnosed with hypoglycemia? Make sure your doctor checks for other problems; much like IBS, hypoglycemia is a quick diagnosis to shut up a patient. If you want to cut out sugar (which many docs recommend for hypoglycemia) you might want to try stevia.

Feel better,
Kristin

#25249 - 11/02/03 07:14 PM
Leah

Kristin,
Thanks for the advice. My symptoms have led them to believe that I have hypoclycemia. I get faint and black out when I haven't eaten for a few hours or when I've had too many carbs only. It is causing my heartbeat to slow down while hungry and then race after I eat. The cardiologist looked at my daily diet and when I eat and determined that I am not eating enough protein and I am not eating as frequently as I should. Does this sound like what happens to you? Should I be requesting any more tests? They are looking at blood and urine samples too to see if my endocrine system is functioning properly. As for soy, I tend to develop allergies quickly to things that I eat often, so I don't want to only eat soy as I don't want to develop an allergy to it. I do like it a lot though.
Leah

Re: for leah re: nut butters new
      #25250 - 11/02/03 07:15 PM
Leah

Thanks Mags and Linda for the peanut butter advice!
Leah

#25317 - 11/03/03 09:43 AM
Kristin

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: New Jersey

The test for hypoglycemia involves fasting and drinking some sort of goo. Not good for the IBS tummy! I'd say if the protein works, then keep it up. Let me know how the results turn out for the blood and urine tests. Just make sure that if you don't see any difference after eating more protein, that you follow up with the doctor.
I've never heard about developing allergies after eating too much of a food. That's too bad. I wish you luck!!
Kristin

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3673 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1810

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review