All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
OMG Im so frustrated
      #249909 - 03/03/06 06:00 PM
nurturingkneads

Reged: 04/01/03
Loc: NC,USA

well I have been doing fairly well until the past few weeks, Ive gotten more stressed out than usual or just built up too much, Ive been dealing with panic and anxiety again, and especially when I feel sick with my tummy, well, I ate some macaroons and I guess too many and bam...BAD attack...I thought I had the stomach bug and may have, it's so hard to tell most of the time, but anyway I was having some bowel pain and soreness Tuesday, which happens sometimes when I eat gassy foods, I also had a pelvic exam for the 2nd time in 8 days tuesday...I just wonder if that couldve triggered something...well that evening I ate too many macaroons and felt sick to my stomach Wednesday morning, then after lunch I started having D, then my bowel movements looked like coconut,( sorry so graphic) Im just starting to calm down today, but it's time for my peroid and i havehad some pain in my lower left side like where my ovary is, could that be from where Ive had a bad attack or could it be my ovary because Im getting ready to start, I still have alot of rolling and gas..and thats the end of the colon so Im just wondering...I hope im making sense because I feel like Im rambling ...Im worried too because my doctor wants me to take an antibiotic because he saw a bit of bacteria in my urine, and inflamation on my cervix, but all cultures came back negative, I dont want to take it...It will make my tummy worse again...Im at my wits end...help

--------------------
Gretchen

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: OMG Im so frustrated new
      #249991 - 03/04/06 12:54 PM
nurturingkneads

has noone got any sugesstions?

--------------------
Gretchen

Well.... new
      #249993 - 03/04/06 01:03 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

It could be the macaroons, they are usually pretty high in fat. As for me, that time of month wreaks havoc on my system. Even if I'm stable, that can bring on an attack. Hormonal changes can be a big trigger.

I'd take it easy and eat really safe foods. (check Heather's list if you need reminders!)

Hope you feel better soon!
Sandy

#250021 - 03/04/06 04:20 PM
penpal

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Pacific Northwest

I'm sorry to hear you are having such a rough time. I was worried that my IBS pain was ovary-related because it's in kind of the same area (lower left abdomen). Everything checked out ok for my ovaries when I had an ultrasound. I expect you've also had this test. Antibiotics really mess me up too, but they are sometimes necessary. I'm surprised your doctor would prescribe antibiotics if you have no bacteria in your urine culture. Maybe you need a second opinion. I had recurrent bladder infections and my naturopath put me onto D-Mannose and I haven't had another attack since (touch wood!) The e-coli that usually causes UTI's latches onto the D-Mannose instead of the bladder wall and is passed in the urine. This powder supplement is made from highly concentrated cranberries. It's a good idea to drink LOTS of water too. Bladder infections can feel a bit like IBS sometimes, so you need to be careful and get a urinalysis done if you feel like a UTI is coming on.

I agree that your symtoms could well be the result of eating the macaroons. I could almost guarantee they would set me off - all that fat and sugar! Perhaps you could try a bland low-fat diet for a few days and see how it goes.

I've been taking Beano with practically everything lately and it does seem to help lessen the painful gas. I recently read on this board that some people with IBS-C are thought to have overly-sensitive nerve endings in their colon, so "normal" bowel contractions and gas are much more painful than for people who don't have IBS. That might explain why it's so hard to pinpoint a particular food "trigger".

I hope you get some relief soon.

--------------------
Penny

Edited by penpal (03/04/06 04:28 PM)

#250060 - 03/04/06 11:41 PM
DanaNoel

Reged: 04/06/04
Loc: Houston, Texas

I think your period may be playing a HUGE roll in your most recent attack. I know just before my period, I will have MAJOR ATTACKS. They usually last all the way through, and even a couple of days after, my period. I have discused this with my GI and he told me that during menstruation our PGE2s or our inflammatory prostaglandins pump out the signals that cause inflammation and cramping in order to force our uterus to contract and perform its monthly duties. Good for the period, bad for the intestines.

Since hearing this, I am less anxiety ridden during that time of the month because I know that it will pass - eventually.

--------------------
Dana

#250120 - 03/05/06 11:32 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

If the culture's came back negative for bladder infection, etc. then I don't think I'd bother with the antibiotics. If it starts hurting when you pee then you know you need them. Suggestions I've taken in the past are, don't cheat during the week before your period. That's when I think we are more apt to have an attack so we gotta be extra careful. I hope you're feeling better today.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#250147 - 03/05/06 02:40 PM
nurturingkneads

thanks everybody for all the great suggestions...sometimes I need a little boost in my positive thinking...I do feel some better...I just am having a hard time cooking around here, my father in law lives with us and he doesnt like to eat so healthy and I feel traped, because I worry about what I fix...will he like it?I am not cooking two different meals, so I guess I will fix what I can eat and if he dont want it he can go to a restaurant

--------------------
Gretchen

Re: Well.... new
      #250412 - 03/07/06 08:23 AM
nurturingkneads

Well I think im a glutten for punishment, I was doing ALOT better, except for PMS etc...well I ate something last night and this morning both I had no idea they would have milk or dry milk in them I ALWAY usually look at the labels, except this time, well...this (a lactose reaction) is worse than the macaroons....been a looong time since Ive had a reaction from eating somthing with milk and I got a double dose...OMG the pain is horrible...I thought about taking an immodium, but I want that out of me...well...I will be eating chicken and potatoes etc for the next week to give my system a rest...I guess I'll learn the hard way...

--------------------
Gretchen

#250796 - 03/08/06 01:07 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Hi Gretchen,

I was reading you post and I also think you ate too many macaroons. Your symptons sound very much like you had an IBS attack....pain, nausea, etc. I know that when I eat too much of a good thing it's like my body punishes me for it. And it sucks knowing that you know you did wrong but there is nothing you can do but just ride it out. I've had attacks where it felt like I had the flu and it takes me about a day or so to recover. Usually the next morning I still feel nauseated for about a half a day before I finally start feeling better.

I did want to mention too that I also get my IBS pain on the left side as well. Before my IBS diagnosis, my doctor thought I might have had chrone's disease because he said the pain tends to be on the left side, but after my testing it turned out to be just IBS. Even when I get my period I have more pain on the left side too. I also had that checked out and my doctor said there was nothing wrong and that my body is that way.

So, I hope I was able to bring some relief for you. But you know, it's better to have it checked out and be safe than sorry. I wanted to comment because your situation of having the pain on the left side is so much like mine.

Good luck and hang in there!!

Carol

Thats me alright new
      #251307 - 03/10/06 04:04 AM
nurturingkneads

this has happened before, and the pain in the left side and soreness...have had all that before but sometimes...after a while being stable, it just sort of shocks me, now the other day I think it was a tummy bug instead of the milk...even though that certainly didnt help, and Im sure made it alot worse, but all of this and the stress in my life I think has triggered a flare up...I need to do the hypnosis tapes again and exercise...that always helps me stress wise, and i need to start eating my shreaded wheat again...I tollerate that better than fiber supplements, as ling and i let it kinda swell up in my lactose free milk before eating it...but Im going to wait a few more days I think....I have not tried Heathers fiber...and I may do that

--------------------
Gretchen

#251313 - 03/10/06 05:45 AM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Amen to that!

Re: Thats me alright new
      #251412 - 03/10/06 12:21 PM
mandm1129

Reged: 07/14/04

Stress is definitely a big trigger, but I also think that eating the shredded wheat too soon after an attack may trigger another one. Wheat is a trigger as well. I know that alot of foods that we eat that have wheat flours and/or wheat flour in them, but shredded wheat seems kind of harsh to me, but if you think you can tolerate it after having an attack then I guess that's OK.

It may be a good idea to stick to the safer foods that Heather suggests and then when you've stabilized then go back to trying shredded wheat and milk.

Hope this helps,

Carol

Re: Thats me alright new
      #251531 - 03/10/06 07:35 PM
nurturingkneads

well I will wait...I can't handle it now

--------------------
Gretchen

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1253 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2360

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review