All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Probiotics and antibiotics
      #249733 - 03/02/06 01:13 PM
sashakitty

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: CT

Are Probiotic supplements good to take when one is prescribed a regimen of antibiotics? Antibiotics are incredibly tough on me! Or any other suggestions?
Thanks

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Hi! new
      #249736 - 03/02/06 01:42 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

I always use probiotics, but am especially vigilant when taking antibiotics. The key is, you have to take the probiotics at a different time. I take mine on an empty stomach two hours before I take the first dose of antibiotics for the day. Mine are enteric coated, so I get the full benefit this way. I truly think it helps, because my DH frequently takes antibiotics, and he noticed less stomach upset when he took my probiotics and he doesn't suffer from IBS.

Hope this helps!

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Probiotics and antibiotics new
      #250114 - 03/05/06 10:27 AM
Jackey

Reged: 12/27/05
Loc: Orlando, Florida

For me this is a subject close to home. I developed IBS because of 4 back-to-back antibiotic treatments. Had I known what I was doing to myself (destroying all of the good bacteria in my intestinal system) I would have started the probiotic (and prebiotic) immediately. In fact, once I was diagnosed with IBS I started taking a probiotic based on some advise I received from my Herbologist and felt immediately better - nauseau gone like a snap of the finger, and a little more energetic. Probiotics continue to be part of my daily regime, 8 months later.

Re: Probiotics and antibiotics new
      #250122 - 03/05/06 11:33 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Yea, I take culturelle. You can buy them at CVS, or walgreens.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

probiotics new
      #250274 - 03/06/06 01:07 PM
sashakitty

Reged: 09/02/03
Loc: CT

thanks for all the info. You said you take the probiotics 2 hrs. before the 1st dose of antibiotic;do you use that dosing schedule for entire course of antibiotics?

Yes. Works great!! -nt- new
      #250283 - 03/06/06 01:33 PM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Yes. Works great!! -nt- new
      #255807 - 04/02/06 01:37 PM
beckykay

Reged: 03/27/06

I have a question on the probiotics. I have trouble with UTIs and Dr prescribed antibiotics - one after intercourse as a preventative. This means antibiotics a lot more often than I wish to put my gut through, but cannot live with constant UTIs and subsequent 5 - 10 days on Cipro. My question: how much probiotics can I take in a day? Is there a limit? I have taken L. Acidophilus for years to handle yeast infections, but have now changed to a combo including B. Bifidum and L. Bulgaricus for maximum everywhere fixits. I feel like gobbling them up, but unsure whether it will do any more good or may cause an imbalance in another direction. FYI I am very messed up now because of 2 yrs of fighting kidney stones, infections and 6 surgeries so you can imagine how imbalanced I am.
Any help appreciated.
beckykay

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 324 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1053

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review