All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
I think I need to back off eating for awhile as anything I eat (m)
      #249000 - 02/27/06 04:51 PM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

is going through me in little BM's throughout the day. Do you think I should follow the diet to follow when you can't eat anything for a few days or has anyone done a juice type fast? Not so much juices but water, tea, maybe some juicing with carrots? I need to rest my gut but don't want to make myself unstable by getting too empty either.

Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'd say it depends on whether you're still cramping badly new
      #249141 - 02/28/06 11:56 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

If the little BMs are just that - small, frequent, annoying as heck - and don't come with serious cramps or screaming urgency, I'd keep doing what you're doing and make sure you're getting a good amount of an SFS. For me, once the cramps and horrible urgency went, several BMs a day were the norm for a while until I got in more time on the diet and a good bit of SFS. It was as if my gut had stopped twisting itself into a pretzel, but hadn't quite figured out a rhythm yet. Sort of like rehab: your leg isn't broken anymore, but you need to learn to walk all over again.

I've forgotten and I'm too lazy to do a Search: are you using Immodium and/or something like Donnatol?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Hi Sand...my small BM's were replaced by a few bouts of D today (m) new
      #249158 - 02/28/06 12:32 PM
Sandyg

hadn't had D in a few weeks but I kind of knew it was coming last night. YOu know the feeling!

Anyway..I had to work today so I did take a donatal and immodium to stop it. I'm eating very gingerly today. A question though...I didn't think I had any triggers yesterday, but did make oven frieds out of potatoes and used a small amt. of olive oil and seasoned them with cumin and chili powder. Can spices have an affect like this? I didn't used to be sensitive to spices and all but that was before IBS. (it's only been a little more than 2 years but seemsm like ages ago!)

Thanks for your input!
Sandy

Re: I think I need to back off eating for awhile as anything I eat (m) new
      #249192 - 02/28/06 02:41 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

For the past day or two I haven't been feeling so great. Nothing horrible, just a little bloated and having tons of BMs! Just a bunch of them throughout the day, but not D. Then this morning I had D. Yuck. Like you, I could feel it coming lat night. My son didn't sleep well, we were up nursing at least every 1.5 hours last night! Ugh.

Even when I feel like this, I just stick w/ my SF supplement, take a couple peppermint caps throughout the day, and try to eat "safe". But by that, I make sure to eat enough. For me, the worst thing I can do is restrict too much and eat too little. I had potatoes (oven fries) w/ just salt and pepper for breakfast. Some bread for a snack. And I think I"ll have a rather plain chicken breast w/ white rice for dinner. I just need to keep food in me or I feel worse.

As for the spices on the fries, I was wondering the same thing! I spiced some oven fries a while back w/ Lawry's seasoning salt. It has peppers and paprika and stuff in it. I didn't feel so hot after doing that. Maybe we can cause ourselves problems w/ spices?
I'd be interested to see what others say!

Feel better soon

Amber

I hope you feel better too! How old is your son? (m) new
      #249261 - 02/28/06 04:46 PM
Sandyg

I nursed both my sons (almost to when they were 3) as they both enjoyed that mommy time...so did I. I miss those days and still hope for #3. That can take a lot out of you too...so it's really important to be eating/drinking enough as I'm sure you know!

Sandy

Spices new
      #249278 - 02/28/06 05:34 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I don't generally have a problem with any spices - I was pleasantly surprised to find that everything Heather said about spicy foods not being the culprit was true for me. However - and it's kind of a big however - there is some spice that is very hard on my stomach. I can taste it and just feel myself destabilizing. The trouble is, I'm not sure what it is - I run across it from time to time in restaurants when I'm eating something that should be safe. I have a sneaking suspicion it's turmeric, but I haven't done the controlled experiments to be sure.

Anyhow, my point is (I really do have one) that while spices in general shouldn't be a problem, it's entirely possible you're sensitive to one or two. You know, the old "everybody's different" stuff.

To go back to your original question, if I were going to back off eating, I'd follow the Break The Cycle diet for 2-3 days, along with angel food cake and garlic salt for my pasta.

HTH. Feel better soon.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 502 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 553

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review