All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Stacy's Brand Pita Chips
      #248650 - 02/25/06 05:05 PM
LtDanFan

Reged: 12/17/03
Loc: Ohio

Has anyone eaten these, they are absolutely delicious and the ingredients seem safe, and the ratio and fiber is good, however I'm posting the ingredients, because, since I have been eating them, I'm getting quite gassy, and having my uncomfortable cramps, is there something in the ingredients that could be doing this? Help anyone. Pita bread (unbleached flour, water, oat fiber, yeast, salt, evaporated cane juice), high monounsaturated canola oil and/or sunflower oil, salt. Nutrition Facts Serving Size 1oz Servings per Container 1.5 Calories 130 Calories from Fat 36 Total Fat 4g Saturated Fat 0g Cholesterol 0mg Sodium 200mg Total Carbohydrate 18g Dietary Fiber 3g Sugars 2g Protein 3g

Cheryl, who's still with you all, but very busy and awaiting my 30 days free of IBS, have yet to get to 30 days...............

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia
DX: w/ Multiple Sclerosis 3/10
I can do all things through Christ who strenghtens me. Phil 4:13

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Stacy's Brand Pita Chips new
      #248651 - 02/25/06 05:09 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I would think that yeast might be a problem. It rises and stuff, so it might cause bloating as well as cramps. I'm not sure about all that high monounsaturated oils, either. It looks high in fat to me, too.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

Stacy's are wonderful, but a little high in fat; here's something else to try (m) new
      #248655 - 02/25/06 05:33 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I love Stacy's Simply Naked Pita Chips and eat them with no problem. The ingredients are all fine, however they are high in fat - they get almost 28% of their calories from fat. So they are definitely a snack to have with or after a solid low-fat, high soluble fiber base.

There is at least one recipe on the Diet Board to make your own pita chips. I haven't tried it, but it sounds pretty straightforward. It is nice, though, to have something you can just buy and eat safely.

Speaking of which, I found something wonderful at Trader Joe's this week. They make their own label Baked Blue Corn Tortilla Chips (Salted). Each 1 ounce serving has 110 calories, 15 of them from fat - that's only 14% of calories from fat. And they taste fabulous. According to the label on the back, the chips are baked and then lightly sprayed with oil and salted. So you get the nice "mouth feel" of a little fat and it really punches up the flavor of the corn. The ingredients are: Organic Blue Corn, Expeller Pressed Oil (Canola, Safflower, or Sunflower), Salt, and Lime. The only problem is they taste so good I want to eat the whole bag.

They do have locations in Ohio, so if you can get to one, definitely give these a try.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Re: Stacy's are wonderful, but a little high in fat; here's something else to try (m) new
      #248691 - 02/26/06 04:40 AM
LtDanFan

Thanks Sand for the update on the blue chips, I did still have a question about Stacy's Pita Chips, would they be considered soluble or insoluble fiber and what fat ratio are we looking for again? I keep eating the same stuff, that I know is safe, and haven't ventured out to find anything new lately and forgot what percentage we are looking for in the fat catagory.

Thanks,

Cheryl

--------------------
IBS-D, extreme pain and cramping - GERD - lactose/dairy intolerant, OCD, Fibromyalgia

Stacy's Pita Snacks Bump new
      #248694 - 02/26/06 07:02 AM
LtDanFan

Before I go throwing my money away on more, are these considered S or IS Fiber?

Cheryl

--------------------

Re: Stacy's Brand Pita Chips new
      #248695 - 02/26/06 07:12 AM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

I haven't had the pita chips, but I live off of Stacey's brand Soy Thin Crisps. The caramel flavor is my favorite! They are low in calories & fat, high in protein and they have 2g of fiber per serving..and I'm pretty sure that's SF. It's all from soy. They are hard to find in stores, but you can order them from www.pitachips.com

--------------------
Kim

Re: Stacy's are wonderful, but a little high in fat; here's something else to try (m) new
      #248729 - 02/26/06 10:41 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I finished off my bag, so I don't have it in front of me, but they should be SF - they're made from pita which are made from wheat flour. Heather recommends no more than 25% of calories from fat. That's not necessarily per item, but more per meal or snack - so a little oil which is 100% fat on a lot of bread which is almost 0% fat is okay. 25% is definitely the top end per day. Unopposed fat - fat without something to cushion it - is terribly hard on your gut.

I know what you mean about eating the same old stuff. It just the easiest thing to do sometimes, but it does get old.

HTH.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 595 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2917

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review