All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
First Steps
      #248 - 01/31/03 05:59 PM
Philos

Reged: 01/31/03

I mentioned this in the other thread I posted today and I'm wondering how many other people are the same. I said that I haven't gotten control of my IBS (yet). I have the 'Eating for IBS' book and have read through the first part and looked over the recipies, but like with most other things (I'm not very good with making changes; probably one of the reasons I have IBS- ) I haven't started to put it into action.

Maybe there is an easy transition route, like eating only French bread, rice and water or something? I don't know. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for providing this board Heather.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: First Steps new
      #257 - 02/01/03 06:33 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hi! I don't know what your normal cooking routines include, so I'm taking a shot in the dark. First, stock up on potatoes, rice, oatmeal, and french bread. Have one of these at the BEGINNING of very meal. Then, try some protein and a bit of veggies (whatever you can handle.) If you aren't an enthusiastic cook - keep it simple. Try skinless boneless chicken breasts - flavour them any way you want (safely) ie. herbs, dip them in nonfat mayo and cover them in white breadcrumbs, or simply cook up some seafood you like. I buy the frozen mixed vegetables. They are fast and convenient. I like the peas, carrot, bean blend. The carrots and beans are in niblets. Cook them VERY well. If you don't think you can handle peas or beans (more insoluble) then try some sweet potatoes, squash or very well cooked carrots. PS have you tried soy milk? Also a good starting point. I like SO Good and Silk brands, but hey, I'm Canadian, eh? I don't know if you can get them Stateside. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#262 - 02/01/03 07:01 AM
Kathy

Reged: 01/29/03
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hey All! How long would you say that the "1st step" should take. I know all of us are different, but is there an average time? Anyone? I also eat a mashed banana between oatmeal and lunch. That seems to help.

Glad to know I am not the only one up this early.

#265 - 02/01/03 11:37 AM
Sue48

Loc: The Sunflower State: Kansas

Hi
I think that the more regimented you are to the diet, the quicker and better your results will be. I am not a very good cook, but the recipes provided by Heather are easy and more importantly, tasty!
Good Luck!

--------------------
Sue

#268 - 02/01/03 02:19 PM
Jane

Hey, don't feel bad...it took me about a year before I FINALLY realized this wasn't going to go away and I needed to change my eating PERMANENTLY. I was in horrible shape at the time, and I needed almost a "cleansing," if you will. I ate nothing but chicken and rice for a week--I kid you not. Even for breakfast! I forget where I read to do that, but I KNOW I read it somewhere, because I would not have come up with that on my own! It worked wonders, too, and when the week was up I started following Heather's IBS diet (tweaked to match my own stomach troubles, since we all react differently to different things), and I've been fine ever since.
HTH,
Jane

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 841 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2940

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review