All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Clarification?
      #24769 - 10/29/03 12:09 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Is it true that when you have IBS it may not be a specific food that will trigger an attack...it can be eating anything at all? I seem to remember hearing that somewhere on the board and I wanted to clarify this.

I had diarrhea for 7 hours two nights ago and now I'm beginning to eat/drink again. I want to start putting the right things into my body...but it seems no matter what I've been outting in the past year it's been no help. (I'm still waiting to find out if I have Celiac or Crohn's which I will find out in the next couple of months. Nov. 4th I am having an upper GI series and small bowel series to rule out Crohn's and Dec. 3rd I am having an upper endoscopy to rule out Celiac. The docs in Boston would not run these tests whcih is why I am having them so late in the game). This is the 3rd stomach virus I've had (one was food poisining) in the past two months! So I want to eat right this time. When should I start fiber...right away, right?

I know I should know this stuff by now...but is it different when you have a virus as opposed to and IBS attack? How do you know the difference? I had a fever of 110.1 yesterday...could it still havre been IBS?

Thanks Heather.......

Love,
Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Clarification? new
      #24771 - 10/29/03 12:12 PM
Lana_Marie

Reged: 01/31/03
Loc: Saskatchewan. Canada

I am sorry I can't be much help...but I have heard that overeating can be a huge trigger.

Be sure you are eating your few small meals a day instead of your three large ones. I find that I can make an IBS Safe meal, but if I over eat it - I get severe attacks.

Hope this helps you a bit!

--------------------
Lana_Marie
Proud Mommy to Bentley Taylor
Born May 12, 2004 9lbs, 3oz

#24814 - 10/29/03 02:07 PM
michele

Reged: 06/02/03
Loc: southeastern michigan

Welcome back! Sorry you are feeling so bad. It sounds like you have just a little stress going on right now! I'm sure that isn't helping. My IBS will flare up over just about anything, doesn't have to be food. If you are having a lot of D, I would stick to the soluble fibers(remember breaking the cycle) for a couple days and be sure to keep drinking enough water. Try making a BIG pan of rice so you have some on hand. Add a little ricemilk and cinnamon for a yummy dish. Hopefully you will get to feel better soon.

--------------------
Taking it one day at a time.....

#25727 - 11/06/03 05:38 AM
princessmichele

Reged: 10/09/03
Loc: new york

I wish someone would clarify this also... I NEVER can tell if it's a stomach virus or an attack. I have been eating all safe foods & haven't gone out to eat in over a year so I know how careful I've been with food & all. Anytime I get bad d I ask around if anyone has had similar symptoms & I usually hear yes so I wonder if it's a virus. Then other times I hear no so maybe it's an attack? I wish I knew the differences

#25839 - 11/06/03 12:48 PM
sherr1

Reged: 10/07/03
Loc: Southern, Calif

Are you any meds? Keep your fluid intake up and I don't know about starting the fiber supplement just yet. Until all test come back. Sounds like you've got a real sensiive immnune system. Try acidophilus for the D. you can get in without yeast,eggs,wheat,gluten or diary at GNC stores or Vitamin world. You may consider a probiotic for the viruses to help build immune system up. Hope you feel better.
Sherri

#25897 - 11/07/03 01:55 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

Hi Ruchie,
I'm sorry you've been having such a hard time of it! Hopefully you'll get a definite diagnosis by the end of the year
I had a bad attack on Saturday and I found just eating a bit of rice the next day in very small portions gave me stomach ache, but didn't lead to anything more. I've not been right all week though, and I think sometimes it takes a while to settle down if it's been a bad one... I think when your body goes through all that stress and strain, it goes into shock! I was even beginning my period, and after that it disappeared for 2 days before restarting, so obviously my whole system decided to pack up for a bit
As regarding bugs/ibs (princessmichele) i find that if I get a bug, I don't get the pain I get with an ibs attack, also it usually carries on longer.

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

#26249 - 11/10/03 06:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Thanks for your responses!

So we ruled out Crohns...now we have to rule out Celiac. If it's not Celiac...then I just have plain old IBS. As far as my immune system goes, the doc says it's because I work with kids that I get sick all the time.

I've had it with traditional medicine! I started going to a chiropracter and I'm very satisfied with him so far. I'll keep you posted!

Thanks again for writing back!!!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1213 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1032

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review