All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Peppermint
      #247571 - 02/21/06 09:22 AM
BethE

Reged: 06/09/03
Loc: Syracuse, NY

I wanted to see if anyone else has trouble with reflux / heartburn after using peppermint teas. Also, headaches after chamomile. Any suggestions to minimize or replace these with some equitable product?

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Peppermint new
      #247586 - 02/21/06 10:15 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

hi BethE,

I don't have trouble with heartburn after drinking peppermint tea, but then I don'rt have acid refux. But I know that peppermint is a relaxant, so it would cause trouble in people who do have it. So, I'd recomend staying away from it if you have acid refux. No problems w/ chamamile tea!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

#247637 - 02/21/06 01:17 PM
Bluesguy

Reged: 11/28/04
Loc: Libertyville, IL

I have had very bad reflux with the peppermint and I do not normally have any reflux problem. I only take it when I'm at my wits end and nothing else has helped. After the uncomfortable first couple of hours, it does seem to provide some relief, but it is not always worth the discomfort.
Jim

#247705 - 02/21/06 05:36 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Peppermint will cause problems in people with reflux. I have mild reflux and can handle store-bought peppermint teas, like Lipton, but not Heather's, which is more powerful. If peppermint really helps you, you might be able to take it in enteric-coated capsules, but even those may bother you.

Chamomile is related to ragweed, so if you're allergic that might be causing your headache.

The other two teas that people use for symptom relief are ginger which can also cause problems for people with reflux and fennel.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#247766 - 02/22/06 06:12 AM
BethE

You learn something new every day. I never had reflux/ heartburn before IBS, and now only when I eat anything peppermint. Ginger doesn't bother me though, and I love the Traditional Medicinals Ginger Aid tea. I am very allergic to ragweed, and never knew chamomile was related, although someone recently told me it can agravate asthma - and now I see why. Thanks everyone!

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Headaches new
      #247770 - 02/22/06 06:35 AM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Hi BethE! Thanks for your post. Lots of us have problems with headaches after drinking chamomille, but there are some brands which are far better for that than others. Here's a good thread on the subject: thread

I get problems after peppermint too. Those mints make my stomach all twisted into knots after even just a minute. I don't get heartburn though... my doctors think instead of having GERD, I have gastritis which means I have to watch the acidity of foods. In much way it's like having GERD.

Good luck in your search for teas! I like Tetly chamomille (no headaches) and red tea is pretty good too.

~nelly~

Re: Headaches new
      #248006 - 02/23/06 05:22 AM
BethE

I was able to use the information about chamomile last night again! My sister in law has a new baby, and someone got her a package of baby wipes that claimed to be all natural. She used them and the poor little thing broke out in the worst rash! I looked at the ingredients, and they were water and chamomile. Since my sister in law is allergic to everything, I suggested the chamomile might be the problem, and told her about the ragweed connection (I was so tickled to be able to share that with someone!). She tossed the wipes.

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Good information is never wasted! new
      #248152 - 02/23/06 01:27 PM
Nelly

Reged: 08/06/04
Loc: Within stray mortar fire of DC

Yea! Good for you for helping out your SIL!

~nelly~

#248198 - 02/23/06 04:32 PM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

I don't usually have a problem with peppermint. In fact these days I live on it. I drink nothing but water and peppermint tea. Today, however it did bother me. I got a little heart burn. It was frustrating because I was at work. So I just drink a bunch of water to make it go away or at least feel a little better. I agree about the difference between Heather's tea and the store bought. But you just don't have to steep Heather's tea as long and that helps me. I have tried a few other herbal teas from one of the lists here and they don't bother me.

HTH

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#248212 - 02/23/06 05:24 PM
heather411

Reged: 02/07/06
Loc: Canada

hi, Im Heather,I had the same thing happen with fennel tea. It made me naucious, then didn't work until 4 hours later.

I have been trying to post an original thread on this board to ask if there is any diet info on IBS and Interstitial Cycstitis (IC) as I have both problems. The diets so far seems very good but there are things in them that I have to omit and I just wondered if there is any diets or recipes that include IC as well. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you, Heather

#248396 - 02/24/06 11:08 AM
BethE

Heather,
I posted your question for you. For future reference, when you click the link to the board, there are several buttons up top. Click the one that says post, and it'll open a new post for you. Good luck, if anyone has ideas, it'll be this crew!
Beth

--------------------
Beth
IBS - D

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1944 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1249

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review