All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Celiac disease w/ibs symptoms
      #247526 - 02/20/06 08:40 PM
ibssara1103

Reged: 07/31/05
Loc: Pgh. PA

I recently had got my blood tested for celiac disease and i had 50 positive antibodies in my blood, thats when my pcp told me to follow a strict gluten-free diet. which i have followed to a T. last night i had the worst IBS attack ever (which i haven't had much pain since i've been GF)all of the same IBS symptoms came back, i was bent over in a spasmodic cramping on the toilet for almost an hour. i don't understand, now i'm thinking i might still have ibs also. i'm confused and in much pain, i wish someone could help me, but noone has yet, professionally that is.

--------------------
Nothing, absolutely nothing, happens in God's world by mistake.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Celiac disease w/ibs symptoms new
      #247738 - 02/21/06 07:21 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

There are quite a few of us who have tested positive for gluten antibodies but negative for celiac disease. There are mixed feelings on whether we should or should not be sticking to a GF diet. Some of the people on here eat GF and others, who have found no relief from eating GF, have gone back to it, despite the antibodies.

Doctors have different opinions on this. I've gotten advice from 4 doctors. 2 tell me to eat gluten if I want, one said I must adhere to a GF diet, and one told me to do whatever I felt comfortable with.

I was on a GF diet for over a year, and felt no better. Just went from D to C...but still pain, spasms, gas, bloat...

I'm afraid to eat wheat though. Because I fear that I have Gluten Intolerance plus IBS and maybe I just can't get the IBS solved and that I should still eat GF, even though I don't feel better on it, while I continue to work on the IBS. But, the doctor I see now wants me to eat gluten again because he thinks there are no absolute answers with these blood tests. One doctor I spoke with on the phone told me she won't even use the blood tests anymore because they don't do anything but confuse people. Well, I'm confused, that's for sure!

You can definitely have both gluten intolerance and IBS. You did say you had less pain with a GF diet...so maybe you are better off sticking with it and accepting the fact that you will still need to watch other foods because of your IBS.

You can't be definitively diagnosed with celiac unless you have an endoscopy...and you can't have one of those without eating gluten again for a while, for the test to be accurate.

What are your thoughts? Have you gotten the opinion of a GI doc? Do you trust your doctors advice to abstain from eating gluten based on blood tests? How are you feeling today?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#247909 - 02/22/06 02:54 PM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05

Hi, I went thru some celiac testing some time ago and my advise would be to have the biopsy done to confirm celiac disease. My blood was positive, however, the biopsy was negative and that is the true test. They can see the damage in the small intestine. If you really have it, it's really important to go gluten free, but not if you really don't. Diane

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

So, Serenity???? new
      #248035 - 02/23/06 07:21 AM
Augie

You also tested positive for gluten antibodies, but your doctor told you it was okay to eat gluten? Have you ever gotten a second opinion?

Have you ever tried eating GF? Do you honestly not worry that eating gluten is affecting us in a negative way? You eat gluten containing cereals and breads and pasta without concern?

Thanks for your thoughts on this!

--------------------
~ Beth

bump for serenity-nt new
      #249717 - 03/02/06 12:34 PM
Augie

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: So, Serenity???? new
      #249719 - 03/02/06 12:42 PM
Serenity64

Well, I did have a couple opinions, and they basically said that I didn't have celiac disease, and could eat gluten. I did actually go Gluten free for quite a while to see how I'd be. I must say my IBS, was no better. Everyone one's different, but that's just how it went for me.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#249723 - 03/02/06 12:51 PM
Augie

So, you eat gluten containing breads and cereals without worry or restricting the amount?

I think I'm like you...I don't think the GF diet helps much. But I'm afraid if I eat gluten, I'll never have a chance of feeling better.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

#249751 - 03/02/06 03:22 PM
Kim2884

Reged: 09/10/05
Loc: CT, USA

Augie,
I know I talked to you about my gluten issues before. I did the gene test, which came back negative. My GI diagnosed IBS, and I've just been working on my SF intake since then. I keep saying I am going to go back to eating wheat...but i still haven't! I guess I'm afraid too. Plus, I've become so accustomed to my GF products that I don't even want to go back. I am going to try it at some point though, just so I can see if it really does affect me negatively or not. You are definitely not alone in your gluten confusion!

--------------------
Kim

#249800 - 03/03/06 04:18 AM
Serenity64

I pulled out my blood test and the one I was positive for, the reason for the biopsy, was the anti tissue transglutaminase, Ttg. A test that they do now for "almost" confirming celiac along with the Antibody one. I was negative on the IgA and IgG andibodies ones. If you're positive on those, without having celiac, then maybe it's best not to eat it if it doesn't make you feel good. You're probably doing the right thing for your body.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Forgive me for the asking again... new
      #249808 - 03/03/06 06:46 AM
Augie

...but, I'm still unsure if you are freely eating gluten products without worry now. Breads, cereals....any amount you want without questioning it?

I would have thought the complete opposite with the antibody tests. I tested positive for the IgA and the IgG, but negative for the Ttg. So, I if I had tested positive for the Ttg, that would have been a stronger case to eat GF. Why do you think the opposite?

Oy, I don't feel good eating GF...but that could be the IBS. I'm just driving myself (and probably you guys) crazy with this GF uncertainty.

How are those apples going?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1263 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1833

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review