All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
I'm losing the battle
      #247365 - 02/20/06 07:50 AM
Serenity64

Reged: 09/02/05
Loc: Illinois

Hi, I'm fairly new as a poster. I've been on the diet for a long time. It was food that I realized caused my attacks and when I stopped all the triggers I stopped having the bad attacks. However, the day to day pooping "pellets" is really wearing on me. I have the IBS C. I was diagnosed during a sigmoidoscopy when my colon just spasmed right up. I've tried zelnorm. No go. I tried miralax, no go. I tried Bentyl. Nope. I've been using the acacia, and the peppermint capsules. I'm not seeing any relief. I'm looking into discussing an anti-anxiety med with my doc, and was wondering if anyone could share their experience with IBS-C and zoloft, or xanax, or whatever. I feel that I hold all my stress in my gut. Five days before my cycle I'm a mess, because I'm more anxious, thus worse IBS. I do exercise and take time for myself, but I can't seem to get my gut to cooperate. I never drink, I feel I do all I'm supposed to to feel better, and still don't. Thanks for listening. It's been a bad few months for me.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: I'm losing the battle new
      #247377 - 02/20/06 09:02 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I'm sorry you're having such a hard time, although I'm glad to hear the diet has helped with the really bad attacks. I'm D, not C, so all I can tell you about ADs is that Elavil is very constipating.

If I could ask a couple of basic questions to clarify. How many teaspoons of Acacia do you take every day? Are you getting lots of fluids? Are you getting a fair amount of IF?

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#247394 - 02/20/06 10:49 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hi there. I have some good news for you. At least for me, ADs saved me! I have had IBS in some form for about 7 years (i'm only 22). It got so much worse over the past year and a half. I found out my gallbladder wasn't functioning, got that out...and still had horrible C and cramping every day. I was at my wits end. I figured I would need to quit my job and just cry all of the time. Well, my mom talked me into going to a counselor. Talking with her helped a bit, but in my mind I just kept saying "she doesn't get it. I CAN'T just calm down"...then one day at work I had a little panic attack when my belly started cramping and had to step in the back to cry for a good 10 minutes. That was my breaking point. I saw a doc and he gave me lexapro. I have been on it for about a month. My C is GONE. No joke--completely gone. I had a bit of D at the start of it, along with nausea...but after puishing through it all I am having a BM every day. Also, I started hypnosis tapes. With attacking IBS from these angles, I feel so much better. I have my days, but at least now they are days--not weeks. I'm so sorry for how you're feeling. Lexapro has been wonderful and when I don't feel well enough to work, I can RATIONALLY say "nope. too sick" without crying and all that jazz!
I hope you get some relief!

--------------------
IBS-A

#247473 - 02/20/06 04:23 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Before asking for an Anti-anxiety or anti-depressant, have you been adding back enough insoluble fibre to your diet, and how long have you actually been on the diet? In your post, you said you do exercise, but have you tried Yoga? It's very relaxing. Also, have you tried taking probiotics? I'm an A so I get both C and D, and I found that it helped a lot.
Good luck and I hope you feel better soon.

#247579 - 02/21/06 09:57 AM
Serenity64

Hi there. Thanks for your questions. I have been on the diet for about 2 years now. I have always stayed on probiotics, unfortunately they don't help with the IBS but I"m sure they're helping something. I do yoga, and pilates. I have some IF every day, with the SF. I have gradually increased my SF and I take just under a tablespoon twice a day now.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#247581 - 02/21/06 10:06 AM
Serenity64

Hi there. It's good to hear that you have had such positive results with the lexapro! It's either trying something like that, or going on the pill to regulate my hormones so I don't get such a bad week every month. I'm at the end of my rope with it and have tried just about everything over the counter and every script the docs offered. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience. Diane

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

#247583 - 02/21/06 10:09 AM
Serenity64

Hi there. I do drink lots of water, that's about it. I think I could use more IF, but it's so hard on me, I take it real easy. Just a little with every meal. I'm up to just under a T of the acacia, twice a day now.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

I've been at it over a year... new
      #247590 - 02/21/06 10:19 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04

...and I'm also losing the battle. I don't know what I'm doing wrong...or if I should continue on. For now, I know I have no other choice than to keep fighting. But, it is frustrating and so draining, isn't it. Tears are common for me, lately.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

p.s. new
      #247595 - 02/21/06 10:35 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Getting on BC also made my periods a million times better. I had to take of work a day or two during my period every month...it took a long time to find a pill that worked with my body. the patch wasnt great, yasmin didnt help...but loestrin makes my cycle short and almost pain free. Hang in there!

--------------------
IBS-A

#247686 - 02/21/06 04:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Since you are IBS-C, I think you might want to try increasing your IF.

#247910 - 02/22/06 02:59 PM
Serenity64

Thank you, I'll take your advise. Diane

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Re: p.s. new
      #247912 - 02/22/06 03:10 PM
Serenity64

Well, I did make an appointment to talk with my gyno about going on the pill possibly to stop my reaction to my hormones. I think if I get the right one, it will help me since I react so bad before my period. The nausea really gets me too.

--------------------
IBS C, Spasms

Please don't give up.. I've been where you are new
      #248179 - 02/23/06 03:25 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi,
Just wanted to lend my shoulder... your words sound so familiar. I was where you are about three years ago.
I wanted to tell you that I ended up using AD's and had great relief from them. After a while on them I did the Hypno CD's and through using these and being careful with my diet, exercising, yoga etc I was able to get off them and still keep the IBS under control.

I am C too and the most important thing is to make sure you do not get an AD that can make the C worse. You need an SSRI such as fluoxetine which are best for C sufferers. Definately not a Tri-cyclic as these can cause constipation and so are better for D sufferers.

Also you can definately increase your SF supps. You could be taking up to two T twice daily. That's what I take.

All the best, let us know how you go.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Re: one more thing... new
      #248188 - 02/23/06 04:06 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

I think you are right to be careful with the IF, but make sure you are getting enough as it's still important. It's all about how you eat it. The more stable you feel the more courage you get to try things to see what you can tolerate. Remember that even though the basic guidelines for IBS are the same for all sufferers; we all have different levels of tolerance for different things. For example, some of us can't tolerate oatmeal for breakfast but for a lot of us it's a staple. If you need some fresh ideas for working in the IF safely just sing out - I'm sure we can help.
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1381 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review