All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Most tolerable way to treat osteoporosis
      #246979 - 02/17/06 12:07 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Anybody out there with osteoporosis or who has gone through treatment for it?

I need to start treatment on something....but I am still very much symptomatic and my tummy hurts. I don't know how to treat the Osteoporosis without making my tummy worse.

The doctor just gave me Actonel samples and they tear my tummy apart. But, my osteoporosis is pretty severe and I need to start treating it seriously.

Thanks

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Most tolerable way to treat osteoporosis new
      #247015 - 02/17/06 03:37 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

My mom had a bad allergic reaction to Actonel, so her doctor changed her over to Fosamax for her osteroperosis. It hasn't caused her any problems so you might want to ask your doctor about it. You should also be eating calcium rich foods and drinks (Rice Milk, etc), or taking a calcium supplement if you can tollerate it, totaling up to about 1200-1500mg per day.

#247033 - 02/17/06 06:43 PM
Augie

Well, calcium causes constipation, which is a big problem for me.

What sort of reaction did your mom have to the actonel? And fosomax doesn't cause her tummy problems?
thanks for responding.

--------------------
~ Beth

#247035 - 02/17/06 06:50 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

It caused some upset stomach but not much, my mom doesn't have IBS. The actonel caused her to get very itchy and have hives. With the fosamax she's has no upset stomach and no itching. It might be worth to talk about it with your doctor, or another brand.

Re: I take Boniva new
      #247052 - 02/17/06 11:40 PM
gigi

Reged: 03/21/04
Loc: South Texas

HI Beth,
I took Actonel for about 6 months. I didn't like it because of the time frame of eating afterwards, I am also taking Nexium, so I have to wait to eat after that too. But, the Boniva is once a month, and I figured that I could forgo the Nexium one day, to take the Boniva. I also have calcium tolerance problems. I have to try it again, I can't remember what the problem, I think it is lots of gas and sends me into an almost diarea phase. Tomorrow, I am going to take it with a meal and see if that is better instead of right before bedtime. the only one I can tolerate is the choclate chews, can't remember the name of them.

I also have severe osteoporosis, osteoarthritis. My Mom is going to be 70 in the spring she has the bones of an 18 year old. good for her, but aggravating for me, my bones are like an 80yr old woman. nowww, something is backwards here, huh?

I hope you find something you can take honey.

#247056 - 02/18/06 01:56 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Oh Beth, Can anything else go wrong with you? I have severe osteoporosis and am on Fosamax. Been on for about 4 years, I guess. You have to wait 1/2 hour to eat after taking it with a big glass of water. Then, I get ravenousl hungry. I think it does irritate my stomach a bit, but not enough to tell the doc about. There are shots you can take, also. Talk with your doc. I've cut my calcium a bit and take more magnesium. I've been reading that the fosamax, etc do so much more for your bones than the calcium. xo B

--------------------
(cool)

Thanks ladies new
      #247072 - 02/18/06 07:34 AM
Augie

I had an eating disorder for years and thus, no periods for years! So, it really messed my bones up big time. The doctors are scaring me.

What kind of doctor do I go to for the meds or the shots...which I want to get, since it is for those who cannot tolerate meds.

Anorexia really screws your body up, girls. So, please learn by my mistakes. I know, I know...people also warned me about all this at the time...and I ignored it. But, eventually, you're body pays you back.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: I take Boniva new
      #247073 - 02/18/06 07:37 AM
Augie

I don't know if I can take this. The commercials say it is for post menauposal women, and I'm not post menaposal. (however you spell it). I'll have to ask if Boniva is still a possibility.

--------------------
~ Beth

How was/is your tummy... new
      #247076 - 02/18/06 07:41 AM
Augie

..with both the Actonel and the Boniva?

Couldn't you take the nexium and the actonel at the same time and then wait 30 minutes? Or does Actonel need to be taken on an empty tummy and then if you take another med that requires an empty tummy, you have to wait an additional 30 minutes? Which do you take first???

I never heard of calcium causing D....I thought it could only cause C.

--------------------
~ Beth

I ditched the drugs. new
      #247170 - 02/18/06 08:58 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Note: I am NOT advising you to ditch the drugs, but rather sharing my experience with them

I have osteopenia. So does my mother. My grandmother has osteoporosis & has suffered from a hip fracture.

I have tried fosamax & didrocal. They were too rough on my stomach. My mother, however, who has guts of steel is happy thus far with fosamax. My grandmother could not tolerate any of the oral drugs & uses a spray. ALL THREE OF US HAVE DIETS VERY HIGH IN CALCIUM & Vitamin D. We all take supplements and consume it in foods as well.

I want to still be walking upright when I'm fifty. I'm only 31, at the moment. My early onset is due to genetics, obviously, but also quite likely because of anti-convulsant drugs.

I don't know what to tell you, Beth. The drugs made me puke. Alot of MD's prescribe PPI's with them, however, studies are showing that PPI's inhibit nutrient absorption.
I ditched the PPI's, too.

So far, so good. I haven't lost any bone density. If you can squeeze in some weight bearing exercise, that will help too.

Kate, IBS-D.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1046 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3822

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review