All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Re: Probiotics new
      #245598 - 02/11/06 09:18 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Have you tried taking any probiotics yet? I forget if you've answered this before.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: DOES THIS DIET REALLY WORK!! YES!! new
      #245627 - 02/11/06 12:30 PM
LivsMama

Reged: 01/20/06
Loc: Coastal South Carolina

I started the diet about a month ago, before the books arrived, using the diet cheat sheet--I immediatley saw results (within 2 days!). I was so excited--I could not believe that something so simple actually worked.

I don't see the diet as bland at all now that I am able to slowly re-add foods to see what I can tollerate and what I can not--usually it is more of a quantity thing for me--for example, I love trail mix, which should really be a nightmare for IBS. On the days that only ate a small amount, with the bulk being banana chips, and watched my SF intake during the day, I was fine. However, one day I did not have enough SF, and a little too much SF--I was lucky that I did not have an D attack, but I did have some significant pain. I find the experimenting actually pretty fun because it is so encouraging to be getting stable again! I even ate a little chili on SuperBowl Sunday and was fine becuase I planned ahead and a lot of SF during the day, as well as with the chili!!

I say just "buck up" and give it a try for a while--if you read through the boards you can get ideas for taking the blandness away with just a bit of creativity and it is sooo worth it in the end!

Best wishes to you!

--------------------
Beth
IBS-D, IBD, Pain
Working toward stability

Re: Lummibeader new
      #245643 - 02/11/06 04:04 PM
Lummi Beader

Reged: 08/25/05
Loc: Bellingham, WA

Hi Beth,

I understand and sympathize with you entirely. I was diagnosed with IBS about 7+yrs ago and since 1998, I have not had one meal without the IBS problems, constantly everyday for the past nearly 8 years. I am embarrassed to have a one track mind with the only topic being what can I eat. I spend most of my days home alone on my bed in some kind of pain. Talk about being worn out, I am sorry if you got the idea that I had only been at this for a month. I have been using the diet since September 2005. Granted that is only a few months but when you have gone for years with no meal that did not double you over in severe pain and last for hours, one meal that does not bother you is a miracle. Last summer I went through a period where I was subconsciously putting my affairs in order. I was making plans and telling my husband where everything was, in my subconscious mind I had given up. Thankfully something changed my mind and I stopped.

My therapist said that somewhere in my mind I had decided that if everyday was going to be so awful that I might as well just curl up and die. I don't know what anyone else here had experienced, but that is only a very small part of my experience.

I understand what you are going through as do all of the people here. I do not understand what made you think this way. Please explain how this all relates to does this diet really work? Has it not worked for you??

--------------------
Honor the Creator... Seek peace!!!

Lummibeader
IBS-D with pain
and bloating

#245702 - 02/12/06 08:16 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Yep, we are definitely in the same painful place. I didn't get the impression you have only been on the diet for a month. I thought you that you thought I had only tried the diet for a month. When you said "give it a month". I've given it over 12 months...and still the diet hasn't worked for me personally...but that I have chosen to keep trying.

It sounds like this diet is working for you? Is that true? That you are beginning to have some pain free days once in a while? Are you going to continue on it? I think you should. 5 1/2 months is still too early to give hope hope on it! Are you a C?

I also had a point where I put my affairs in order and wrote a will....in case I decided that I would get to the point where I would just be too tired to fight anymore.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#245704 - 02/12/06 08:22 AM
Augie

Yes, I have. I've tried Primal Defense, Udo's Choice, Jarrow, PB8, Mega Flora, Enzymatic Therapy Beads...

I really don't think any have helped, though. I take two a day. When I was on Primal Defense I actually went up to the 10 a day for 3 months, like it recommended for difficult cases. It just cost me about 2000 dollars for no results.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: beth, a question new
      #245706 - 02/12/06 08:29 AM
Augie

Well, thanks for caring Jaime. Hugs to you!

As far as they IBS diagnosis, I have been given that diagnosis by a few doctors. But I do also have other things going on that may be contributing to my problems...like delayed gastric emptying and a nonfunctioning gallbladder and gluten antibodie. The doctors have not been very helpful with these results and really don't know how to advice me on these points. See, I had anorexia/bulimia for 15 or more years...so it's hard to know what is IBS and what, if any, of these factors were caused by my Anorexia...or if there is even a way to treat them, if they were caused by a long term eating disorder.

As far as an AD...I am on Prozac. I've been on probably 7 different ADs...but my body either doesn't respond to them, or I cannot tolerate the side effects.

I have not starte hypno yet, but plan on it.

Thanks for caring. Are you suggesting I quit this diet and try something else? Not that Heather's diet doesn't work for many...but do you think it is time for me to call it quits on this for my own individual situation? Or don't you want to say? What would you guys do if it were you? Move on or keep plugging along?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: DOES THIS DIET REALLY WORK!! YES!! new
      #245708 - 02/12/06 08:37 AM
Augie

Wow, that's great it's working for you. You're a D, right?

When you said "one day I did not have enough SF, and a little too much IF"...did you mean you had too much IF?

Are you taking any probiotics or an SFS? Or digestive enzymes?

I'm happy for you. don't get me wrong...but must admit I envy you. You've been on the diet about 14 months less than I...and are years ahead of me in feeling better. Okay, done with my pity party!

--------------------
~ Beth

Just a note... new
      #245711 - 02/12/06 08:42 AM
Augie

the teeceeni contains inulin which may cause problems and the soyfree, obviously is soy which can cause problems. I don't drink either because of this. But others do fine with them.

--------------------
~ Beth

#245760 - 02/12/06 10:43 AM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm sorry the probiotics didn't work for you.

#245841 - 02/12/06 07:04 PM
LivinginWA

Reged: 01/22/06
Loc: Western Australia

Hi Beth, sorry you are having such a hard time, I know the feeling of being alone a lot of the time, usually lying on my bed, in pain......close to the bathroom, preparing for the next urgent run to the loo, I have to wear sanitary pads every day, just in case I dont make it to the bathroom, and it is a bit of added protection!!....two years ago, I wrote a will out,I too had had enough, so understand the desperation you were feeling...,though glad I am still here, the anxiety gets to me a lot though, and of course the stress and depression...my doc prescribed anti anxiety meds, the side effects were just too much, including "diarrohea", weight gain, headaches etc....so I dont take them....unfortunately in Aussie, the IBS situation isnt really understood, we dont have many products available for it, it is not a discussed topic, I have never seen an ad on tv or in the papers etc, it is looked at as a bit of a nuisance, I think most of the doctors here are comatosed when it comes to IBS, Heathers books are not available in Aus, so have had to order them online from her, and the last time I saw my doctor and told him that I really thought food played a part he laughed and found my comment quite amusing, though told me ibs was stress related and indicated it was all in my head!!...have seen numerous doctors, and gastros, 2 colonoscopies, xrays etc...all said yes you have severe ibs...have a nice life!! - dont think they really accepted my version of how bad things are for me... so pretty much left to my own devices...anyway good luck, though you have been on this diet for a long time, am wondering if you need to look elsewhere, I dont have any suggestions, but maybe someone else on these boards with ibs C can give you some help...Donna :

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 420 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 42064

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review