All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Please help me! I feel I'm loosing hope!
      #244849 - 02/07/06 05:21 PM
T~N~T

Reged: 01/19/06
Loc: Ohio

I have read all over this site. I have read more posts than I can comprehend. I am frustrated. I have joined all kinds of chat rooms to talk about my IBS situation and no one seems to ever be in the chat rooms. I only know one person in my area with IBS and we don't talk much. I am litteraly in tears ever day. Here's why:

I'm 28. I was diagnosed with IBS over a year ago. Fortunately I got put on Lotronex pretty much from the get go. That pretty much got things settled for me and I was living life pretty close to normal. I did make some changes but for the most part I only had occasional problems. A month and a half ago my insurance company said they wouldn't cover my medication anymore. It took my breath away. But from reading this site and posts here I felt there was still hope. So I ordered everything. I have stuck to the diet and changed my lifestyle 100%. I think that has been the hardest thing for me. I used to go where I wanted when I wanted and didn't think much of it. I was very active and had a lot of friends. Things didn't change too much for me after the diagnosis because I had the Lotronex which worked wonders for me. But now...now...I feel so aweful. I am stable and next day I'm not. I barely eat anything (what I do eat is from Heather's diet) and only drink water and peppermint tea. I even stopped drinking alcohol which was part of my weekends and occasionally weekdays. I'm no alcoholic but it was nice to be able to come home from work on a Friday and take the edge off with a beer or glass of wine. I take the Acacia fiber and calcium and peppermint caps and and digestive enzymes and lots of water. But still I feel tired and my tummy grumbles. I exercise. And my bm's are loose. So I take Immodium when I feel I need it and I'm ok. I have a regular bm or two and then loose again. I can't take all of this change! I can't eat much that tastes good. I feel like there's no variety of food for me to eat. There's a lot on Heather's diet but it only takes me so far with my cooking skills. I take all the snacks to work and where ever I go but by the end of rotating them for a couple of weeks I just feel like it's all blah. I miss having a regular dish of spaghetti and garlic bread.
I know everyone here has probably felt like this. But I can't stand feeling like a shut in. I am too embarresed to go out. The girls at work make fun of me when I cry from pain. I try not to cry but when you feel like crap all the time some days it is overwhelming. I try to talk to my friends at work about it and other people over hear it and then make fun of me. I know that I shouldn't care but how do you make fun of someone for something they can't help?

I am very depressed lately and I have thinking about seeing a counselor or something. I don't know where to start though. Am I depressed enought to need medication? I really don't know. My emotions are a roller coaster and lets not even talk about "that time of the month". Gosh I really have to focus on my emotions so I don't sob myself thru my work day or lash out on people.

I feel like I am being punnished and I just don't know what to do. These boards make me feel less alone but it's hard to find a live person to talk to that really understands. It's hard to meat new people if you only leave the house to go to work. Everyone I know just makes fun of me or feels sorry for me and what I am going thru. The support I get is nice but it still leaves me feeling alone and empty.

I don't even know what I expect to get out of this post. All I know is that maybe I need a nudge in the right direction or at least a hand on the shoulder that means "I know how you feel and it will get better". These days I don't feel like it will.

To top it all off, Thursday is my mother's birthday. We are going to the Golden Corral for dinner. Leaving the house gives me anxiety because I prefer to be my toilet. So I fear getting there and spending the duration of the meal in the bathroom. My boyfriend is very supportive so that helps. But I feel bad for him. The routine it takes for me to get out of the house. And never wanting to go anywhere because I don't feel good. How long can a person take that?

Thanks so much for reading this long post. I hope it doesn't sound like I'm having a pitty party for myself. I just don't know where to turn.

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Please help me! I feel I'm loosing hope! new
      #244861 - 02/07/06 05:48 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I'm sorry to hear you're having a bad time...this too shall pass. How long have you been on the diet, and are you starting on a low dose with the acacia? Have you tried taking a good probiotic?

#244864 - 02/07/06 05:52 PM
T~N~T

I've been on the diet since the end of December. I was taking a probiotic but I thought the Acacia had some in it so I thought I should stop taking the capsuls. Do you think I should be taking them anyway?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#244865 - 02/07/06 06:06 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

It's hard to feel hopeful when you have no one around who understands or even tries to understand. I'm sorry you're feeling so down - I've been there and I really think it would help to tell your doctor and see a counselor about your anxiety. At least you'd have a person to talk to, who would be on your side. I don't know how open you are to trying ADs, but that might be something worth talking to your doctor about. And I don't mean because I think you're depressed, but a low dose of a tricyclic AD might help you manage the pain and make you more regular.

Another thing I recommend, if you can't find anybody to chat to, is to post here as often as you need to. Weekends are slow, but I'm sure someone would reply or just give you some support. I check the boards regularly and I would keep an eye out for your posts. I know it's not like speaking to a "real live" person, but maybe it's a good first step.

It sounds like you're doing all the right things and that you're trying to be patient. It took a few months for me to get regular and see a reduction in pain. I know for some other IBS-Ders it's taken as long as six months. You'll get better and the fact that you can have days without D is a really good sign that what you're doing is working!

Re: Acacia new
      #244866 - 02/07/06 06:07 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Acacia and other SFS are prebiotics, which is what feeds the probiotics.

Re: Acacia new
      #244867 - 02/07/06 06:14 PM
T~N~T

Thanks. This all helps! I guess I will get some more probiotics.

Anyone else have a hard time taking so many caps?

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~
T
IBS-D

#244886 - 02/07/06 09:15 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Maria had some excellent points. So in addition to what she said, I'm so sorry you're suffering right now Things will get better though. I know two months seemed like a long time, but hang in there. I'm IBS-D too and while the diet changes etc. did provide *some* relief right away, it was really not until 5 or 6 months in that I could finally go "ahhh" and relax a little. I really know where you're coming from with the feeling shut in/wanting to be near your toilet part! I'm somewhat stable now but even now when someone says something like "we're all going out to the Golden Coralle for her birthday" I still get really anxious and nervous and find myself almost unconcsiously coming up with excuses to get out of it asap!

I think maybe talking to a counsellor might be a good option for you. I know we get sick of doctors telling us "it's all in your head" but there is definitely a connection between what's in your head and what's going on in your gut. Working through stress, anxiety and other painful emotions you're having with coming to terms with your IBS can only be helpful for you.

I remember, about 6 months in, coming to terms with the fact that my IBS was, and always will be, part of me/my body, rather than something that's HAPPENING to me or inflicting me, and that helped me just so immensely in getting towards stability.

I hope this helps some. *HUGS*

#244900 - 02/07/06 10:40 PM
Tillie

Reged: 02/04/06

I wish we did live close, I know what it's like to be afraid to leave the house.
I have just joined, I got some of the foods and things were really looking better.
But did something wrong, not sure what, it could have been the 4 pices of asparagus I had with dinner or the heart smart I had for breakfast, but about 4 hours after breakfast I got hit again.
So we both need to stay with this site and I do know staying calm is right up there with the right foods.
You have the people at work, I have a MIL that is sweet as long as you do NOTHING she does not OK first.
So I have had to just stop talking to her and not let her get to me at all or I get sick again.
I know it's not easy to turn the tears off, but find someone to talk to, I had to and I can still remember the doc. saying "now put yourself in a happy place"
Meaning picture something you love, be it a place, a day where you had fun, or like he said another day, put yourself on a nice cloud and watch the green fields with flowers below you for a while.
Take care, you can do it.
Tillie

#244912 - 02/08/06 07:05 AM
Kiwii

Reged: 09/27/05

Hey girl,

I'm from Ohio too. Where are you? I'm more towards Cleveland. Maybe we can get together.

I'm sorry to hear you're having such a rough time with this. I've been there too, the crying, the pain, feeling like your being punished, & no explinations why! I wish I could just give ya a big hug. The whole job thing,I know it's hard to ignore them, but just keep trying. It took me a while to get stable. I found if I try to take the same meds, everyday, it helped me get stable. How loose are your stools? I have some till, but nothing too bad.

Get back to me, & we'll see if we can get together! I'd love to be a help for you!

--------------------
Kiwi
IBS-C

Kiwi? new
      #244914 - 02/08/06 07:09 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

How on earth did you get so much better? I see in your signature area it now says "IBS-C-stable & lovin' it". Any help you can give would be appreciated. I've been at this for over a year and have not come close to how far you have come.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4209 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6371

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review