All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need Safe Places to eat WHILE TRAVELING, (What Restaurant has What, etc.), Also Snacks to Take!!!
      #24482 - 10/26/03 02:01 PM
marnie

Reged: 09/17/03

Hi everybody,

Hope to be going to FL soon fr.the NE. Would sure appreciate any restaurants that have safe dishes, sandwiches, etc. that anyone knows of........! We really don't do breakfast much and I take oatmeal w/me to make in the room. Also take sandwiches, mainly turkey.....lol Good thing I like turkey......! Wonder what others take along???

Pretty much only stop for dinner so that's the MAIN....... thing, but if you know of places w/sandwiches, soup, for possible lunch/dinner, I sure would appreciate knowing abt. them.!!! Oc course, interested in breakfasts too.....in case we do eat out and for WHEN WE DO!

Also interested in snacks to take???? Hear rice cakes and some crackers are good......got them off the recent posts, so if you posted a snack there, no need to repeat them AND THANKS, by the way. Got some ideas there. Like to SNACK on the way......helps w/the boredom of traveling!!!

Are those little applesauce packs ok? Not that I have a particular affinity for them or bananas. Am almost thinking of taking a blender........lol to make smoothies, but would take too much time. We like to make headway, esp. my hubby!!!

Also, I like chick nood soup and Wedding but wonder if they are ok to eat out???

Any ideas on what to drink besides tea (hot or cold) and rice milk. Not a soy...person!!!

Guess you can get turkey or chick sandwiches at most places, but sure would like something just a bit different!!!

It's hard when you get down south as they have a ton of the Waffle Houses & soup is usually vegetable, as I remember!!!

Thanks so much.......

Marnie

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Need Safe Places to eat WHILE TRAVELING, (What Restaurant has What, etc.), Also Snacks to Take!!! new
      #24487 - 10/26/03 03:41 PM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hey marnie!

I don't know any restaurants on the way so can't help you there - sorry! I'd just say the standard when eating out - grilled fish or chicken, turkey sandwich, etc.

For snacks, the applesauce cups are great! I keep some in my desk at work. I like the Mott's with the peach medley and the berry mixes. They're pretty good. You could also bake some bread ahead of time to take with you. If you don't want to be baking right before you leave, make some then pull it out of the freezer when you go. Muffins would work nice too.

I hate going out to breakfast, because to me it seems the hardest to find anything. If you can find a place that will make eggs with just whites, you can ask for that, but make sure they don't use milk or butter to make them. I usualy end up having a toasted plain bagel with some jam, sometimes with a fruit cup on the side.

You can buy the rice milk in the little one serve packs. I'd stick with tea & water just to be safe though - with the extra stess of travel, you can never be too careful.

How long do you go to Florida for? Hope you'll still be able to check in from Florida. Have a good trip!

Re: Need Safe Places to eat WHILE TRAVELING, (What Restaurant has What, etc.), Also Snacks to Take!!! new
      #25120 - 11/01/03 06:01 AM
marnie

Hi Mags,

Thanks for the tips. I think it's Denneys that makes the egg white omelet....ugh. But..maybe they are not so bad. Eggbeaters are a no-no too, aren't they?

I've gotta look at labels more. Know fructose is NOT good for me and don't drink fruit juice because of it. NOW I need to check into the Mott's applesauces you mention. They prob. don't have Fruct cause plain applesause doesn't. Am wondering abt fruit cocktail.......cause isn't there natural fructose in fruit? I have ALOT of trouble w/fruit, cept applesauce and bananas. Don't know of any others to try. Would love apricots and peaches. See some people buy the baby food fruit which sounds good, but again the fructose question.

Maybe you saw my other reply post wondering if SUCROSE is plain sugar or BAD like FRUCTOSE! Guess corn syrup is and how abt sorbital? Know all artificial sweeteners are bad.
Would apprec. if you could fill me in on the bad sweeteners.

Did see the little pks of rice milk......I love that stuff...a change fr. just hot or cold tea!!! Am gonna make some banana bread and maybe some rice krispie treats w/ a bit of choc. Boy.......I sure miss chocolate, but not good for my GERDS.

STILL having Dr. problems. They have sent me a presc., (haven't rec'd it yet!)&.......found out that it is for l librax/da. OYEEEEEEE......!!!!!
I used to take 4/ day and wonder how many you take. 1 will do zilch!!! I do have a few old ones & a bit of promenthazine and am trying to get by. Took 2 librax today and they seemed to be working pretty well, but..........for some reason, I just couldn't sleep last nite and today. Make that Thurs. nite. Did FINALLY get some.... tonite -Fri and am going back to bed. Think it's cause they have me SO UPSET!!!!! So.......now see him on Thurs and do have an appt. w/another on Fri. in case things don't work out prescription wise, .......but don't know if new one would give me a presc. right off..........???!!!

THIS GOT MESSED UP....! NOW BACK TO WHAT I WAS SAYING BEFORE AT SOME POINT - so HOPE you can make some sense out of this. I'm not one who can go w/out sleep!!!:

That was before the other doc in FL put me on promenthazine. ANYWAY, that was Thurs. I found out abt the expected pres., and talking to the office, they said..........I would have to come in to the the DR.office this Thurs...........!!!!! WHEN IS THIS EVER GONNA END!

Guess I'll have to stick w/the chicken/turkey..........glad I like it...........

Well........going back to bed and blurry eyed!

Thanks

Marnie

PS........Yep...taking the computer to FL......if we EVER get going!

Almost forgot.....thatsite re finding GI DRs. you sent has REALLY helped me. You can see the ratings, etc. It's great! Want to find a GI in the Tampa/Clearwater area....! Asked in a post, but no replies as yet.

It's VERY interesting how different people have VERY different experiences w/the same doctors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by marnie (11/01/03 06:06 AM)

#25134 - 11/01/03 09:24 AM
*Melissa*

Reged: 02/22/03
Loc: ;

Hi Marnie!

Eggbeaters are fine! I use them all the time at home. If they have them in the restaurant, again just make sure they don't cook it in buttter or use milk.

I think the Mott's are okay, and they have other fruits mixed in, and they are unsweetened.

Sucrose is plain table sugar. Corn syrup is okay - it's high fructose corn syrup you need to watch out for. Sometimes you'll find small amounts in things like graham crackers for example, but you should be fine with them, unless you have fructose intolerance, which is something different from IBS. Sorbital is bad. All artificial sweeteners are.

I'm so glad the WebMD site helped.

So, when is the big trip anyway?

#25139 - 11/01/03 10:47 AM
peaches

Reged: 09/28/03
Loc: Fort Wayne, Indiana

Yeah Mags is right. If you have fructose intolerance don't eat the fruit cups that have the high fructose corn syrup in it-some Mott's do! lol Wendy's has a good (but expensive) grilled chicken sandwich (ask for it plain....it's about 3.20!!) so that's good for fast food. As for restaurants I pretty much stopped eating out but the only thing I could think of that would be ok would be Red Lobster but that's very expensive also lol so I dunno if you find any good ones let us all know!! have fun in FL!

--------------------
It comes down to the art of living on [color/red]

#25143 - 11/01/03 01:37 PM
maryh

Reged: 10/02/03
Loc: IL

Hi! Wendy's also has the baked potatoes and I had one with cooked broccoli (hold the cheese!) and lowfat honey mustard dressing. it was very good-next time I'll ask for more broccoli. I've found restaurants will be very accomodating-I had seafood (steamed clams) and asked them for french bread, and I got it! I knew they had it, because it was served with something else. Good Luck! Mary

--------------------
Whatever doesn't kill me will make me stronger!

#25171 - 11/02/03 04:01 AM
britsarah

Reged: 02/16/03
Loc: United Kingdom

When I flew over to Florida earlier in the year, I made a big batch of Rice Krispy treats to snack on, which kept me going...also pretzels(the small dried ones, not the big bready ones!)and plain and flavoured rice cakes. I figured even if it's a bit monotonous, it was safe and kept me stable.
Then out there, I lived on grilled chicken sandwiches, the odd tuna if I was feeling ok, pizza without cheese (just scrape it off), veggie burgers and hotdogs, and Chicken and dumplings at Cracker Barrel - for some reason, that was ok and I think it's because it's just good stodgy flour dumplings and the gravy didn't seem fatty at all. Each to their own though! : )
Hope you have a good time, I can't imagine travelling that far by car - here in the UK 3 hours seems far to go!!

--------------------
Sarah

Looking for inspiration...

For PEACHES: What Did You FIND to EAT at Red Lob??? -nt- Re: Need Safe Places to Restaurant new
      #25263 - 11/02/03 09:14 PM
marnie

TKS. GALS: Anyone else Know of ANY??Re: Need Safe Places to eat WHILE TRAVELING, ,Also Snacks !!! new
      #25267 - 11/02/03 09:27 PM
marnie

So.......guess I could have shrimp or scallops broiled.... Sounds GREAT. Anyone try a bit of tarter sauce w/them?

Marnie

Re: ?'s Abt/ Seafood at Restaurats:Need Safe Places to eat WHILE TRAVELING, (What Restaurant Snacks new
      #25268 - 11/02/03 09:34 PM
marnie

Just wondering if anyone knows how to ask them to fix shrimp or scallops so they have some taste??????? A bit of wine for example???? Looking for ideas........!

HATE going out to eat these days and EVERYONE ELSE has this GREAT food........!

Thanks......

Marnie

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 969 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1288

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review