All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Lactose intolerance and Fructose tests.
      #243579 - 02/02/06 08:45 AM
joecool

Reged: 12/31/05
Loc: Minnesota

Well I will be doing to two above test at home over the next couple weeks. I haven't read everything on them but it sounds like I might have to go off the IBS diet for about 24 hours if I heard everything correct. I know I can't have fruits or Veggies for 24 hours before I do the test. He did say White Bread and White Rice was ok. Basically have to eat protein so could eat bread, chicken breast, fish (Don't like much) for a day or I could always see what happens when I am bad and eat a cheeseburger which of course sound delicious.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

How do you do a fructose test at home? new
      #243587 - 02/02/06 08:54 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I've been trying to find a hospital that does this test, and the closest one is in another state.

I did have a lactose test done at the hospital, and though it came back okay, this diet still suggests not consuming dairy because the protein can also cause problems. I think that's why anyhow, I know we still aren't suppose to have it.

But please share how you are going to do these tests! Is it something the doctor gave you to drink or what?

Thanks.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: How do you do a fructose test at home? new
      #243784 - 02/03/06 07:41 AM
joecool

Here in Minnesota there is a group called the Minnesota Gastroenterologists or something like that and I went to see him yesterday to start the tests to see what my problem is. I have two test that are exactly the same. One is to test Lactose and the other is Fructose. Here is how they work.

1. They have to be done at least 48 hours apart and take about 4 hours each and I get to take the kit home.

2. The kit contains a contraption think that looks a little similar to what would come down from the airplane to give oxygen. Basically a thing you blow into with a bag attached and on the side is a plastic tube with a needle in it that will take one of the 4 bottles that come with the kit.

3. To prepare, I can't have any fiber except for white bread and rice the day before I am going to do the test. Basically I can have protein.

4. I can't have anything to eat 12 hours before doing the test so that is why I am doing it in the morning because I will be sleeping for much of those 12 hours.

5. The kit comes with a packet which is the only difference between the two kits. One package for fructose and the other for lactose. You get a heavy dose basically and you mix it with 8 ounces of water.

6. Before drinking the mix you blow into the device and while blowing you then stick the vial into the tube with the needle for 3 seconds while blowing and then remove the vial while still blowing. This is your baseline.

7. You drink the solution and then repeat every hour with a new vial for 1,2,3 hours.

8. The kit comes in a little box so you put everything back in it and put it in the mail because it is a self addressed stamped box.

Done.

Wow, how convenient and nice to have this done! new
      #243788 - 02/03/06 07:46 AM
Augie

I wish I could get a hold of one of those fructose tests. I wonder why they aren't available everywhere? It would really be nice to know for sure if I have a fructose intolerance or if I'm fearing fruits for no reason. It makes me paranoid and I'd just like an answer. I haven't been able to do the elimination test on my own with any success....so it would be nice to have this tested.

Heather suggests not eating dairy if the lactose test comes back okay. I wonder if it would be the same for the fructose test? Not to cut it out totally...but to keep it low.

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: Wow, how convenient and nice to have this done! new
      #243918 - 02/03/06 12:29 PM
joecool

Your GI Doctor can not get you one of these test. These are things that need to be ruled out before you accept that you have IBS.

So where can I get one from??? new
      #243984 - 02/03/06 03:31 PM
Augie

...if my doctor cannot give this to me? You had a doctor give the kit to you, right? I'm confused.

You can have LI or FI along with IBS though. So, if you have fructose intolerance, you may still have to eat an IBS diet.

thanks

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: So where can I get one from??? new
      #244601 - 02/07/06 06:59 AM
joecool

I realized after writing this that there meant to be a question mark and not a period. I was surprised that a doctor can't get you the test.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 412 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 768

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review