All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Who out there is IBS-A?
      #243462 - 02/01/06 02:48 PM
AmberBoBamber

Reged: 12/05/05
Loc: California

I am definitely an A, but it just doesn't seem like there are as many of us out there. Am I alone?

If there are other A's out there, what are you doing to get your IBS under control? What works? What hasn't worked for you?

I'm not super stable anymore, my son (10 months) NEVER sleeps. He sleeps in 1 to 3 hour chunks a few times each night. But he's the happiest little baby, he just hates sleeping. I guess he just doesn't want to miss anything. Stubborn little guy. Too bad it is doing a number on mommy's stomach!

Right now I'm:
- taking 2 Primal Defense Probiotic capsules a day (just upped my dose from 1 to 2)

- taking 4 tsp. acacia powder a day (2 before bed, 2 in the morning) I think I want to add 2 more in the middle of the day or before dinner

- going to try out the peppermint caps today before dinner

- keep my liquids up, I drink lots of water and peppermint tea, at least 12 cups total of the two each day

I feel great and stable when I get a good 5 or 6 hours straight of sleep, but less than that I get a rumbly tummy that often turns into D. Then I get C. Then it seems like back to D.

What are you guys doing?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I'm one! new
      #243469 - 02/01/06 04:04 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

There's a few of us around. I know Linz is an A. Of course, now I'm drawing a blank as to who else is, but hopefully they'll all come in and weigh in themselves, anyway.

I'm what I consider completely stable. I still have the occasional bad day, when I eat something stupid, and I can also count on one hormone-related attack a month (which, as far as I'm concerned, is unavoidable).

Right now, I:

- Still follow Heather's diet, with minimal cheating... I eat a few things that are general no-no's, but I NEVER eat or drink things that I know are my major triggers (dairy, for one)

- Related to the diet, I'm eating as little soluble fiber and as much INsoluble fiber as I can get away with. It took me well over a year to find that balance, but I finally got it right.

- I don't take an SFS at all. I also don't take probiotics, digestive enzymes, OTC meds, or use herbal supplements.

- I try to get at least a little exercise every day.

- I am on Lexapro, an antidepressant/anti-anxiety-med, for anxiety problems. This wasn't something I started for the sake of my IBS, but it did help my symptoms somewhat before I stabilized.

I think that's really it... basically, I just eat well, move a little, and try not to do anything stupid to disturb the balance. LOL I know, that's not very helpful.

I am new
      #243498 - 02/01/06 07:37 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

I am IBS-A
tonight I am not very stable, having some nasty D attacks and I don't know why yet.
I eat alot of SF foods and have been trying to get better at eating more veggies and IF because I have been afraid of it.
I try and balance the two evils (D&C) by using Immodium on an almost daily basis. I also take simethicone everyday because my trapped gas pains are unbearable without it.
I don't really take anything else besides those 2 things. I tried Benefiber for awhile and haven't been sticking to a regular schedule with it.
I need to get myself on track and make an effort to get stable.
I'm sorry you are having troubles with your son's sleep patterns. I know getting enough sleep is crucial for me.

Good luck
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

me! new
      #243499 - 02/01/06 07:53 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

still very much figuring things out - mostly stable, but not always entirely symptom-free. (when i have *attacks* they're D - and that comes just about only if i stray and have triggers, except for menstrual crap, which can be C attacks - but i'll have mild C or gas without easily findable cause.)

i take fiberchoice for my SFS - 8g/day and trying to increase again, to 12 (hoping that'll help with the once-in-a-while C and gas).

i try to incorporate plenty of IF - still figuring out how to do that in the safest way, because the wrong kind or way will give me painful gas.

i also drink lots of water, but i've always done that, even before ibs.

i'm not as symptom-free as i'd like to be, but i'm unbelievably better than i was before (though i didn't realize i was A, rather than D, until i started to stabilize). hope the info helps.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Me! new
      #243506 - 02/01/06 09:01 PM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Acacia was my key! So stick with it, okay.

That reminds me...MUST order more.

Are you working atm? Or do you have elder kids? Cos if not (or even if so when possible) then you need to be napping with the baby through the day as much as possible. If it's means the house gets messy or someone else has to pick up the groceries/kids from school, then so be it. It's important right now that you and your little one and both happy and healthy and that means sleep for the both of ya!

I am one too! new
      #243525 - 02/02/06 05:24 AM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

I use acacia. and a careful diet and I am mostly stable. there are bad days- like right now I'm on bactrim and that throws me off big time... and around my period I always wind up off.. but otherwise as long as I am careful about what I eat and don't let life get too stressful and out of control I do just fine....

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

I would guess that I am one new
      #243540 - 02/02/06 06:55 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I used to be a strict D -- but since I became stable -- I have had C tendencies. I can swing both ways now. I wondered whether I was going crazy! I try and keep it in check by both making sure that I drink enough, sleep enough - and get enough IF. I can tell that I am still D - because my BM's may be firm - but they are more frequent than most people. I have one probably 3 times a day or so (usually after each meal). I also have had D attacks - though they are rare. I also have had C attacks -- (also rare). I still treat myself mostly as a D (since that's the way I started) but just try and balance it with more water & IF fiber -- which we all need anyway.

Re: Who out there is IBS-A? new
      #243598 - 02/02/06 09:09 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I call myself D predominant, but I think I'm probably, truly, an A.

I swing to the C side, which causes a different kind of bloating and cramping, straining, marbles, etc. However, it's easier for me to resolve the C by getting in more IF foods and taking an SFS.

Unfortunately, the D and the pain with it takes a lot more focus on eating mostly SF foods and avoiding all triggers, so that's why I say I'm just a D. D attacks tend to be the worst for me.

To help both, I drink strong peppermint or chamomile tea after meals, use heat packs, take Imodium as needed, Benefiber (although I've slacked off on this big time), and I try to stay on schedule with eating and sleeping.

Re: I would guess that I am one new
      #243691 - 02/02/06 03:37 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I have read that 3-4 BM's a day is very normal.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4645 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1426

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review