All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Silk Soy Light vs 8th Continent
      #242466 - 01/29/06 06:30 AM
LivsMama

Reged: 01/20/06
Loc: Coastal South Carolina

I am pretty new here, and started the diet about 2 weeks ago with fantastic results for both IBS-D and IBD. I have been following directions and gradually adding foods back into my diet. I have been dying for a bowl of cereal, but milk (not all dairy) is a big trigger for me. We usually have 1% in the house, and I am not a big fan of milk in the first place, except for on cereal, so I bought Silk Soy Light Plain thinking it would be pretty, well, plain and thin--it is a little too creamy and thick for me.

I know through reading different posts others have tried and preferred 8th Continent--can someone that has tried both advise me on if it is less thick and creamy than the Silk--or another brand (or perhaps rice or almond milk)that I might find a little more pallatible--OR has anyone added water to any of it?

Thanks in advance for your help on this, as well as to everyone over the past few weeks--I have only made one other post but through all of the reading I have done on these boards, you all have given me so hope that I CAN beat this and have a normal life again.

--------------------
Beth
IBS-D, IBD, Pain
Working toward stability

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Silk Soy Light vs 8th Continent new
      #242487 - 01/29/06 09:25 AM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

We can't get 8th Continent here in northern Maine, so I can't give my input on that one, but if you're looking for thin and plain, rice milk probably will do the trick. I used to use Rice Dream all the time, and the only reason I switched to soy milk (Silk) was because I wanted more creaminess (and protein!). Rice Dream tastes pretty good, IMHO.

#242489 - 01/29/06 09:48 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

if you like plain and thin, westsoy makes a non-fat soy milk that is quite thin. they also make light and low-fat versions (barely different, nutrition-wise - i have no idea why there are two, which are what i drink. those two are a little sweeter than the non-fat, a little more syrupy but not really creamier. (in my store, at least, the westsoy aren't with the silk & 8th continent in the refrigerated section, but with parmalat by the coffee and tea.) hope that helps.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

Thank you Jaime & Casey new
      #242498 - 01/29/06 10:43 AM
LivsMama

Reged: 01/20/06
Loc: Coastal South Carolina

This really helps--I am probably the only person who wants thier milk to be thin, non-creamy and plain! But I really do not like milk that much except to have with cereal.

--------------------
Beth
IBS-D, IBD, Pain
Working toward stability

Re: Watery milk sub new
      #242516 - 01/29/06 11:50 AM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

I'm the same way - I just want something light for my cereal too. I prefer Rice Dream Original Classic.

#242557 - 01/29/06 02:46 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Having tried both, I like 8th Continent better. It's not too creamy & doesn't have the heaviness of Silk.

Another 8th Continent fan here. :o) nt. new
      #242599 - 01/29/06 06:21 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

/

#242772 - 01/30/06 12:23 PM
Sassi0619

Reged: 01/06/06
Loc: Vermont

Much prefer 8th continent to Silk. I like 1% regular milk and the consistency of the original Light soy milk is basically the same. Love the Chocolate soy milk too!

However, I do like the Silk Soy Yogurt.

#242892 - 01/30/06 05:32 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

8th continent is way better tasting, but I would never drink plain- only vanilla!!!

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1022 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 942

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review