All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Probiotic people...Are you out there?
      #242235 - 01/27/06 06:34 PM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

I am going to start some acidophilus and I was wondering if there are any side effects in the beginning. I am a full time grad student and I have my classes at the beginning of the week. I will wait to start them if there are some adverse side effects. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Probiotic people...Are you out there? new
      #242236 - 01/27/06 06:40 PM
Passanie

Reged: 04/28/04
Loc: Fresno, CA

I've never had any side effects while on probiotics (just intermittantly while on antibiotics) even with the whammo powerful stuff.

#242244 - 01/27/06 07:43 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

It's common to get a bit gassy in the beginning as your body adjusts. I'm prone to gas so I took my probiotic at bedtime so I didn't have to worrying about tooting in public

#242249 - 01/27/06 07:54 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

I didn't have any side effects when I started taking it but other people have. You might need to start slowly, for example, if the kind you're taking says to take 3 a day, start with 1 for a few days, then increase to 2, then after a few more additional days increase to 3 a day.
Good luck and I hope you feel relief soon.

Thanks for the warning! -nt- new
      #242256 - 01/27/06 08:11 PM
canteat

Reged: 11/18/05

#242268 - 01/27/06 10:57 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

FYI

This is kindof complex, however just for the info. It is mainly dealing with Post infectious IBS a sub group of people who develop IBS after a gut infection, say food poisoning or certain bacteria and even a possible virus, and the "Infection" is resolved and leaves changes to the gut, which then develops into IBS.

FYI

This is an expert on Post infectious IBS. This is an excellent article and I am posting a small part on new Probiotic research.

Post-infectious Irritable Bowel Syndrome
Posted 12/08/2005

Robin Spiller; Eugene Campbell

"Anti-inflammatory Effect of Probiotics
Numerous studies have shown an anti-inflammatory effect but the study by McCarthy et al.[30] is of particular interest since it showed a benefit in the interleukin-10-knockout mouse model of colitis using two probiotic bacteria, Lactobillus salivaris and Bifidobacterium infantis, which have since been used in IBS patients (see below). The same group also demonstrated that bacteria did not need to be living to be effective. Nor did they need to be administered orally but could be effective when given subcutaneously,[31] showing that the anti-inflammatory effect is systemic with a generalized decrease in proinflammatory cytokines."

"Anti-inflammatory Treatments in Irritable Bowel Syndrome
With this evidence of low-grade lymphocytosis and inflammatory mediators the idea of treating flares in IBS like an exacerbation of asthma has certain attractions. The first direct trial of prednisolone in PI-IBS was, however, negative.[32] This randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial randomized 29 patients with PI-IBS following C. jejuni enteritis to 3 weeks of oral prednisolone, 30 mg daily. Although mucosal lymphocyte counts fell, enterochromaffin cell numbers did not, nor did bowel symptoms improve significantly. Furthermore, prednisolone was poorly tolerated by IBS patients, indicating that this is unlikely to be a successful treatment. A more subtle and better-tolerated anti-inflammatory effect may be achieved by the use of probiotics. Since inflammation in the bowel appears in many instances to be a reaction to the commensal flora, modifying this by means of probiotics has proved an attractive option given its success in some inflammatory conditions such as ileal pouchitis. There have been several previous studies in IBS with mixed results, but the most recent one used the same two probiotics, L. salivaris and B. infantis, as McCarthy et al..[30] Only B. infantis was demonstrated to improve composite symptom scores as well as abdominal pain, bloating and distension.[33**] Like previous studies, this showed a small improvement in symptoms but, unlike previous studies, they also demonstrated a mechanism by measuring the release of cytokines by peripheral blood lymphocytes. They showed that at baseline IBS patients had a depressed interleukin-10/interleukin-12 ratio and that the active probiotics normalized this ratio. Since interleukin-12 is recognized to be a key proinflammatory cytokine, while interleukin-10 is anti-inflammatory, this imbalance may be important. The study certainly needs repeating, but this is the first study in which alterations in mucosal inflammatory mediators have been demonstrated to relate to improvement in symptoms (for review see)[34]."

"Conclusion
Studies of patients with PI-IBS over the last 2 years have been reviewed which demonstrate low-grade inflammation in the mucosa with increased inflammatory mediators, including serotonin and cytokines. Studies in other IBS groups have also shown increased mast cell numbers and in some cases increased release of mediators such as mast cell protease and histamine. This is plainly an active area in which significant advances with application to clinical practice can be expected in the foreseeable future."

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/518355_1

"Post-infective IBS (PI-IBS) develops in 3-30% of individuals with bacterial gastroenteritis. Known risk factors include female sex, severity of initial illness, bacterial toxigenicity and adverse psychological factors, including neuroticism, hypochondriasis, anxiety and depression, as reviewed in 2003.[2] "

also

Clinical-alimentary tract
Lactobacillus and bifidobacterium in irritable bowel syndrome: Symptom responses and relationship to cytokine profiles

"Background & Aims: The aim of this study was to compare the response of symptoms and cytokine ratios in irritable bowel syndrome (IBS) with ingestion of probiotic preparations containing a lactobacillus or bifidobacterium strain. Methods: Seventy-seven subjects with IBS were randomized to receive either Lactobacillus salivarius UCC4331 or Bifidobacterium infantis 35624, each in a dose of 1 × 1010 live bacterial cells in a malted milk drink, or the malted milk drink alone as placebo for 8 weeks. The cardinal symptoms of IBS were recorded on a daily basis and assessed each week. Quality of life assessment, stool microbiologic studies, and blood sampling for estimation of peripheral blood mononuclear cell release of the cytokines interleukin (IL)-10 and IL-12 were performed at the beginning and at the end of the treatment phase. Results: For all symptoms, with the exception of bowel movement frequency and consistency, those randomized to B infantis 35624 experienced a greater reduction in symptom scores; composite and individual scores for abdominal pain/discomfort, bloating/distention, and bowel movement difficulty were significantly lower than for placebo for those randomized to B infantis 35624 for most weeks of the treatment phase. At baseline, patients with IBS demonstrated an abnormal IL-10/IL-12 ratio, indicative of a proinflammatory, Th-1 state. This ratio was normalized by B infantis 35624 feeding alone. Conclusions: B infantis 35624 alleviates symptoms in IBS; this symptomatic response was associated with normalization of the ratio of an anti-inflammatory to a proinflammatory cytokine, suggesting an immune-modulating role for this organism, in this disorder. "

It didn't change stool consistensy though it seems.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science?_ob=ArticleURL&_ud...06c535bc30bd8adc9d6a

acidophilus is found in yogurt.

Dannon just released a new product.

http://www.activiadannon.com/

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Activia new
      #242270 - 01/27/06 11:22 PM
Gracie

Activia has been available in Canada for about a couple of years already. The taste is very good incase anyone is wondering. From personal experience I think the probiotic in it, might be geared more towards people who are C. I'm an A, and when I ate it for two full weeks like they recommend for full effect, I found that I had to go more often than normal...no D, just more often. Others might have different experiences and it may be worth a try for those who can eat yogurt.

So are probiotics only helpful for those... new
      #242291 - 01/28/06 07:55 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

...who developed IBS after a bacterial infection, food poisoning, or a virus of some sort? Or parasites? I think mine developed purely from an eating disorder...so am I wasting my time on probiotics?

PS...I no longer have an Eating Disorder but I do have the IBS. My body must "remember" the abnormal funcioning of my ED.

Who knows though for sure. Maybe I did hava an infection or food poisoning or something else that I was unaware of.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

I didn't new
      #242298 - 01/28/06 08:17 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

Some people said they got gas - but I actually had problems with gas & bloating that got better with the probiotics. That's how I knew they were working. lol It took about 3 weeks to see a difference though -- and for some it takes longer. Probiotics are a long term help -- not a short term one.

Re: Activia- isn't this yogurt, which is dairy??? n/t new
      #242300 - 01/28/06 08:21 AM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#242307 - 01/28/06 09:03 AM
bamagirl

Reged: 04/02/04
Loc: Alabama

The probiotics helped me and got rid of bloat and a lot of sinus problems too. Kept my C from becoming so strained initially, then kept it resolved once I got stable.

--------------------
God is Faithful!

Re: Activia- isn't this yogurt, which is dairy??? n/t new
      #242308 - 01/28/06 09:21 AM
Gracie

Yes, but some people can tolerate it.

Re: So are probiotics only helpful for those... new
      #242357 - 01/28/06 01:01 PM
AstroChick

Reged: 12/30/03
Loc: Chicago, IL, USA

I think they helped me, and I've had IBS all my friggin' life. It wasn't a huge thing, but I think they did increase my stability. I took Jarrodophilus (sp?) pretty regularly for a month or so, and then transitioned to just eating soy yogurt 3 times a week. I start feeling less stable if I go for more than 4 days or so without my Silk yogurt, but some of that may just be psychological. I like all my IBS security blankets!

--AC

Re: for everyone, with a side note to AUGIE new
      #242361 - 01/28/06 01:08 PM
hawkeye

Reged: 06/16/03
Loc: NYC

I've had IBS at least 20 years. I started taking Jarrodopholis EPS last week. I did get gassy each night this week - felt like my stomach was a big bubble. I've got IBS-D and have not reduced in frequency but am having more normal (non-d) bm's since about day 3.
However, and this is the part that will interest Augie, I was eating WHEAT every morning this week for breakfast without realizing it! So now I don't know if I was gassy from the raisin bran that I thought was Raisin Oat flakes, or from the probiotic! Still Augie, the only symptom I could remotely attribute to the wheat was gassyness 12 hours after eating - tough to belive that it was the wheat - so bagels are finally in my near future!

--------------------
Ladies & gentlemen take my advice, pull down your pants and slide on the ice.

Re: Activia- isn't this yogurt, which is dairy??? Yup. (m) new
      #242539 - 01/29/06 01:05 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Some people believe yogurt is easier to handle than other dairy because the fermentation process destroys most of the lactose. I'm with Heather in finding that the proteins and/or whatever lactose is left are a problem, so this product is not for me.

However, I took a look at the Dannon Activia website and there's a really interesting downloadable file here. Click on "Scientific Summary For Health Care Professionals (708 kb)". The brochure discusses digestion, probiotics, what constipation is, and the scienctific studies behind Activia. Here's what's it says about what probiotics are in Activia:

Quote:

ACTIVIA ® is a fermented milk that combines the traditional yogurt strains (Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus) with a specific starter: Bifidobacterium animalis DN-173 010. [snip] The specific bifidobacterium present in ACTIVIA ® is of food origin and is found live and in large quantities in this product (approximately 10^8 bacteria per gram of product). This quantity persists through the end of shelf life.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#242546 - 01/29/06 01:47 PM
Suzy444

Reged: 01/03/06
Loc: Canada

They have no side effects.:)

Pro life? Go veg.

thanks Sand, good info n/t new
      #242555 - 01/29/06 02:34 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

Ah a quote from Dr. Sidney Freedman, a Mash fan obviously! me too! nt new
      #242647 - 01/30/06 05:56 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

Sandy

#242657 - 01/30/06 06:58 AM
Augie

OMG,,,you ate wheat and survived! I think that's the only way I'm going to get the nerve to try wheat...by accident!

How can you be sure the wheat isn't the cause of the gas? Tell me when you try the bagel! Are you still eating the cereal? Are you eating any other wheat in the day?

I hope the jarro continues to help you! How many are you taking a day?

--------------------
~ Beth

Re: heh heh! you were the first person to get that! -nt new
      #242905 - 01/30/06 05:53 PM
hawkeye

--------------------

#242906 - 01/30/06 05:55 PM
hawkeye

Oh, I hate to sound lame, but I'm not feeling well enough to add another question mark in my diet still! So, no after 3 days of eating it, I stopped and my wife finished off the box the next day. Haven't had anymore wheat for a few days since. HOpefully I'll just eat that f-ing bagel soon! Dan

--------------------

Did you feel any difference? new
      #242975 - 01/31/06 06:47 AM
Augie

Did you feel better after removing the cereal? I wonder how much of this is psychological for me. I wish I never had that antibody test! One doctor told me she doesn't even test the antibodies anymore...only the one most specific for celiac. Don't know if that is good or if she is missing people who may be gluten sensitive. I guess the bottom line is, do the antibody tests mean we have gluten intolerance...or does it just mean nothing? The doctor said people have antibodies in there bodies to lots of different foods, but she doesn't believe that means we can't eat them. so many contradictory views on this.

Did your doctor tell you it was okay to eat wheat and gluten whenever you wanted and that these antibodies mean nothing and shouldn't scare us?

--------------------
~ Beth

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2478 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2131

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review