All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating out
      #242012 - 01/27/06 07:41 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

This has been a popular topic on the boards recently, so I've decided to do some research on this myself. I'm fairly new to eating out with ibs, but I am going to run this by everyone. I've visited the websites of certain restaurants and studied the ingredients in food. Let me know if I'm wrong, or if we, as ibs sufferers, should avoid eating out altogether.

Dennys
-breakfast menu: quaker oatmeal, applesauce, english muffin
-lipton herbal tea
*grilled chicken sandwich (watch out for lettuce/tomato/pickles)
-grilled tilapia
-grilled chicken

Subway
-Turkey breast sub. (get the Italian bread, with deli brown mustard. pick vegetables that are safe to you.)
*Oven roasted chicken breast sub (Italian bread, deli brown mustard, select vegetables/toppings safe for you.)

Tim Hortons
-Oatcakes
-bread rolls (not if you can't toletate wheat or sesame seeds)
*low fat blueberry/cranberry/rasberry muffin (not sure about these yet)

Swiss Chalet
-Quarter rotisserie chicken with Chalet sauce on side. (not sure about sauce, but ask for plain chicken)
-plain baked potato

Quiznos
-baked lays chips
*Real deal menu: oven roasted turkey. (watch out for mayo, tomato, lettuce)

Burger King
-carrots/baked potato
*Tendergrill chicken sandwich (watch the honey spread, tomato, grill no butter, and get it on corn-dusted bread)
*Strawberry shake syrup (contains corn syrup and HFCS which is a trigger for most)

--------------------
IBS-C

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating out new
      #242031 - 01/27/06 08:27 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I know that turkey/chicken is safe most of the time...like you said, you have to watch out for the dressings. I thought I was being safe for the longest time eating grilled chicken sandwiches from fast food places like Mcdonalds, BK, Wendys etc. Even w/o the dressing, they seem to have an affect on me. I think maybe they are higher in fat than if you grilled chicken yourself? Or maybe it was the bread who knows. Baked potatoes from Wendys is always safe, provided you use safe toppings. I like soy butter.

I also read that places like Lone Star can be safe if you order grilled chicken.
Sandy

Re: Eating out new
      #242056 - 01/27/06 09:10 AM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I agree with the Quizno's - I have the Turkey Lite there - with very little tomato & onion, and no lettuce, no dressing with a very few banana peppers on the side.

I love getting an order of Chicken Fried Rice (no msg & I avoid the egg pieces) then I mix it 1/2 & 1/2 with steamed rice (this is my fav Fri night dinner!)

I even went last weekend to a Chinese Buffet, I had sushi - YUM! and a big bowl of steamed rice with a spoonful of fried for a little flavor and some steamed chinese veggies

Also I've had turkey burger at the Great American Cafe with a little leaf lettuce and fat free mayo and it was awesome! I hear Ruby Tuesday's also has turkey burgers.

I love eating out, but you have to be very very careful. And not every one is the same

My rules for eating out new
      #242091 - 01/27/06 11:23 AM
melitami

Reged: 02/23/04
Loc: Ewing, NJ, USA (IBS-D, Vegetarian)

First, look up the menu online or ask to look at the menu before sitting down at the table. That way you know if there is at least SOMETHING you can eat/doctor at this place before investing in a table.

Keep an open mind when looking at menus, sauces/oils/ingredients can be omitted or put on the side or substituted. Don't be afraid to ask for omissions and substitutions. You are paying for the food to be the way you want it!

Also don't be afraid to ask for clarification of what is in a particular dish. Part of how I deal with this is I fib a little bit and tell the server that I'm allergic to dairy.

That said, my standard dishes when going out to eat (keep in mind I'm a vegetarian):

*pasta primevera without sauce or sub a red sauce, veggies I can't eat are either asked to be omitted or picked out and given to my boyfriend to eat
*grilled veggie sandwiches without cheese (same issue with veggies)
*spaghetti in red sauce, be sure to ask for no cheese, many places automatically assume and put cheese on it
*rice with steamed vegetables and some sort of safe sauce or veggie lo mein or chow mei fun at Asian restuarants, with the same veggie rule

Drawing a blank on anything else, but I do recommend doing your research first so that you feel a bit less anxious since you know that there is something there for you to eat.

--------------------
Melissa
Friendship is thicker than blood. ~Rent

Re: thanks (m) new
      #242692 - 01/30/06 08:28 AM
Lucrece

Reged: 04/29/05
Loc: Canada

This is something I've been researching lately, since the issue always seems to come up when I am out with friends or something.
Does anyone have any experience with Tim Hortons, though? I've never really heard much about them on these boards. Are there low fat berry muffins actually safe? And their outcake cookies? I have the ingredients here ...

--------------------
IBS-C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 915 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1128

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review