All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anyone take Effexor?
      #241658 - 01/25/06 09:51 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

I saw my doctor today and he thinks that I have some form of generalized anxiety disorder and I am inclined to agree with him. Years ago, I had some personal trauma in my life and was on Zoloft for about a year. I did okay on it, but it caused some more D at times and I gained weight on it. I also tried Amitryptaline about a year and a half ago and it didn't do much for me after a while. I also gained weight on it.

My doc now wants me to try taking Effexor. I am really hesitant after reading about how difficult withdrawal can be. AND (biiiiig AND) I heard it can cause weight gain. I simply do not want to take something again that will cause me to gain weight. I have worked really hard to get where I am and feel wonderfully fit.

So, just wondering..does anyone take it? What side effects did you experience? Is the weight gain thing true?

Thanks so much:)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Anyone take Effexor? new
      #241660 - 01/25/06 10:00 PM
Lynx

Reged: 04/21/05

I personally don't belive in anti-depressants anymore. I was moved from one to another as a kid and as I grew older, I eventually just quit taking them altogether. There were no changes. I've never had a problem with weight gain while on them, though. I noticed that I ended up losing a lot of weight while I was on them.

--------------------
Check out my gallery! http://niomie.deviantart.com/

#241713 - 01/26/06 07:51 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Used to take it. I was actually tapered off it within a few days and had NO side effects at all. Effexor is one of the ones that AREN'T suppposed to cause weight gain - but of course I did. I think it depends on the person. When I was on Paxil I didn't gain. It might surprise you. You may not gain at all. A special benefit for me being on effexor - my IBS TOTALLY disappeared.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Alicia?? new
      #241725 - 01/26/06 08:40 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

If it's not too personal, why aren't you taking Effexor anymore if it was helping your IBS so much?

Are you taking something else now? Hope the new drug helps your IBS too.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#241746 - 01/26/06 09:53 AM
AmandaM

See, that makes me wonder if the weight gain I experienced, wasn't caused so much by the meds, but by other things. For example, when I was on the other ADs I felt better and could eat more. I wasn't excercising much at all either . But, then again, I heard that ADs slow your metabolism, so that could be a cause.

How much were you taking when you tapered off? -nt new
      #241748 - 01/26/06 09:54 AM
AmandaM

Re: How much were you taking when you tapered off? -nt new
      #241877 - 01/26/06 04:08 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Umm, I think 300 mg? Does that sound right? 150 in the morning and 150 at bedime. I did a couple days at one dose of 150 and then a couple days of 100 and then nothing. Mind you, at the same time I was being introduced to another antidepressant.

--------------------

Re: Alicia?? new
      #241879 - 01/26/06 04:10 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Not personal at all, sweetheart. I was taken off the effexor because it wasn't doing the job for my OCD and at the time was just diagnosed with bipolar. Remember my little hospital visit? That's when all this happened.
So now they have me on luvox for the OCD (an antidepressant) and Epival (mood stabilizer) for the bipolar. Hope this helps. And yes, it sucks they don't help the IBS but I'd much rather deal with that without meds and medicate depression and OCD.

--------------------

Yep, gotta do what ya gotta do! new
      #241882 - 01/26/06 04:30 PM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

I was wondering what you took for your OCD. I wonder why my doc has never tried luvox on me. I can't handle Anafronil and the Prozac doesn't help it much either. Maybe I'll ask about Luvox.

Thanks Alicia. I wish your meds helped you with your IBS...but at least you are able to manage that with diet. I don't seem to be able to do that either. Maybe one day?

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

Re: Yep, gotta do what ya gotta do! new
      #242050 - 01/27/06 09:00 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Hugs, sweetie. I hope maybe you'll find a med that helps both!!! Maybe see if you can talk to your Doc about trying another. You never know. It might actually help with the IBS!!!
I'm always here for you, dearest. E-mail me anytime.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3746 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2868

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review