All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What digestive enzymes do people recommend?
      #240246 - 01/20/06 12:16 PM
AmandaM

Reged: 10/05/05

Hey everyone! I'm back at school and as my body acclimates to far less sleep and far more stress, my tummy has been feeling it! I haven't had any attacks (not since August..yay!!!) but am still dealing with that painful twisting feeling, gas, and some bloating at least two or three days a week. I have not been taking digestive enzymes and am going to give them a whirl. However, my HFS has about a billion to choose from, so I wondered if anyone had some advice or personal experience about what to get? Thanks!!!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: What digestive enzymes do people recommend? new
      #240302 - 01/20/06 02:42 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I have been taking Natrol Digest Support and I like them a lot. They have an anti-gas ingredient in them -- and since gas is a special issue of mine -- I appreciate that.

They have a mix of a bunch of enzymes to better help you digest all different kinds of foods. They don't have any of the *bad* things though -- (like milk, glutens, preservatives, artificial colors etc.)

I buy mine at vitacost.com and get them within a week.

#240306 - 01/20/06 02:54 PM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

and it's currently 60% off - is that always the case?

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#240312 - 01/20/06 03:01 PM
kshsmom

I think it runs about that all the time. They always have great discounts there. I live in a small town -- so I don't have good stores to go to - Buying on-line is my best way. I have been learning to comparison shop. Right now -- they have the best prices I have found - on what I am buying.

#245390 - 02/10/06 05:47 AM
TAS

Reged: 02/10/06

I recommend Thropp's Nutrition for digestive enzymes. I have tried a lot, but these are potent, plant based, and my symptoms have almost disappeared since beginning them. I just take one or two before eating and it is amazing how much I feel better! They ship quick and are very reasonable in price, but then to get relief I think I would have spent any amount! I won't be without these ever! I have been on them about 6 months and the difference they have made is unbelievable. Their site www.throppsnutrition.com and I can't say enough good things about their product. They have two different products, one is a very full spectrum or enzymes, the other is for people that consume a lot of protein. I use the full spectrum.

Bump for more feedback, please!-nt new
      #264078 - 05/18/06 06:43 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

#268341 - 06/08/06 03:09 PM
AdamN

Reged: 05/31/06
Loc: Brooklyn

I just got these to try them out. Gas seems to be my major issue with IBS so hopefully this will help me out. How many do you take a day? The package just says 2 a day before a meal but it would it be OK to take 2 more before another meal on the same day?

#268342 - 06/08/06 03:22 PM
Sommer

Reged: 02/09/04
Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA

I've also used probiotics several times on and off since IBS struck my life. Sometimes I took them because I was on antibiotics for bacterial infections, other times I took them because some believe if the gut is lacking in digestive enzymes, it can be problematic - the only kind I ever got the chance to try was acidopholus (sp) I always have some sort of thing in my way - not enough money, no transportation to try various stores, etc. It did help me though, but while reading the ingredients, I noticed that the acidopholus contained milk protein - I might have misunderstood and it was actually the good stuff that helps us digest lactose.

A while ago I asked a doctor if he thought i had lactose intolerance after describing my symptoms - he said it's possible since asians usually don't drink milk, their bodies aren't naturally used to digesting milk. He never did quite answer yes or no. Needless to say I never saw that doc again.

Recently, while the prescription Zelnorm came out, I talked to a great doc who listened to me and prescribed it, I've been on that for quite some time now and it does help. I was also told by my new doc that he is totally fine with me trying to take Lactaid tablets if I think I might be eating dairy. I have also been assured that taking probiotics with IBS should be ok as well. Since I'm on several RX meds, I have to be careful to tell my docs I have IBS so they understand when an RX they prescribe might hurt my stomach. It was even suggested I go on the RX-strength proton pump inhibitors. I haven't tried those yet, though. I never had a huge problem taking probiotics before and my understanding is they are safe. But I am no expert.

Good luck, wish I had a more direct answer for you. Let us know how you do and what brand you use. I'd like to know more, so that I can try it out. I really need to find a way to get to a health food store some day when I have extra money. Why is it that this stuff us IBS sufferers need is so expensive? Well, anyway, I hope it works well for you.

--------------------
XOXO from lil' ol' me. (IBS-C, mood disorders, etc., etc.)

I do.... but that's just what I do and not what the label says... new
      #268401 - 06/08/06 08:23 PM
kshsmom

You would have to use your own discretion on that one.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 440 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review