All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Spasms
      #239240 - 01/17/06 02:11 PM
andreww

Reged: 01/17/06
Loc: Fairfax, VA

I have been diagnosed with severe IBS and diverticulosis. The symptoms have varied and have been getting worse over the years, but the one thing that is almost always there are the abdominal spasms. Sometimes they are so violent, I feel like I am moving. I lose sleep from them frequently. From what I've read, it seems most people suffer from diarrhea and constipation, but not as much from the abdominal cramps and spasms.

I am wondering if the diet and steps as outlined here work the same for stabilizing spasms as they do the other symptoms. I can't seem to find much on this topic by itself.

Thanks,
Andrew

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Spasms new
      #239320 - 01/18/06 12:42 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Andrew, I have spasms like yours. Actually moving, especially in bed. Feel like I'm trying to turn myself inside out. Cutting out dairy and coffee helped tremendously. The diet and acacia have helped, also. The spasms still woke me several times a night until I started taking 2 Donnatol before bed. Still wake up like once a night, but not with unbearable spasms. The diet and finding out what works for you takes time. Good luck. Bette.

--------------------
(cool)

#239325 - 01/18/06 03:58 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Practically the definition of IBS is abdominal pain PLUS a change in BMs. I used to get alot of pain, but now none (and fyi my doc said I had very bad IBS so it's not like I just had a mild case!).

#239389 - 01/18/06 08:52 AM
andreww

i guess i thought that because the other 2 people I know with it only have D and C and not the severe spasms or cramping.

thanks for your input. there is hope yet.

#239392 - 01/18/06 08:54 AM
andreww

thanks. i have quit red meat, dairy (almost) and coffee (occasionally cheat). they have gotten better since last week when the pain was unbearable, but they are still very strong. it used to be that they'd come and go, but in the last 6 months or so, they are now daily.

is that how it was for you?

#239395 - 01/18/06 08:58 AM
jaime g

Reged: 07/27/05
Loc: new york city

i'd wager that things'd improve if you cut dairy & coffe *completely*, rather than just most of the way.

--------------------
jaime
ibs-a (mostly d) // vegetarian

#239422 - 01/18/06 09:40 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Altered gut contractions and motility is a part of IBS. If you have diver, you might want to make sure its not in a flare mode and you might need antibiotics for it.

IN IBS the altered gut contractions can happen anywhere along the lenght of the colon.

There are three main components to IBS, altered motility, viceral sensations and altered brain gut axis functioning.

Its worth reading this

http://hopkins-gi.nts.jhu.edu/pages/latin/templates/index.cfm?pg=disease1&organ=6&disease=43&lang_id=1

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

#239673 - 01/19/06 12:34 AM
boo75

Reged: 10/29/05
Loc: Butte Montana

Yeah, red meat is very bad, and I think you'd feel better without any dairy. It sure helped me. Doctor just told me (Monday)to eat several small meals a day, which a lot of people on this board recommended, also. Bette

--------------------
(cool)

Re: Thanks for the site new
      #239685 - 01/19/06 05:03 AM
LisaRae

Reged: 07/18/05
Loc: Atlanta Ga

I thought I had read just about everything I could on IBS but the site you suggested was very informing and educational. Thanks!

#240114 - 01/20/06 06:48 AM
andreww

thanks. great link. that daily chart should come in useful.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 4402 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1268

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review