--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I quit, 5 weeks ago. new
      #237041 - 01/09/06 07:42 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

I stopped smoking cigarettes 5 weeks ago. I'm using the Nicoderm Patch to assist in the quitting process. This is a highly effective aid, incidentally. I recommend it. It's one of those habits, though, that are really hard to lose for life. Chemical addictions, though, are memorized patterns.

My IBS is A LOT better, though. Significantly reduced D attacks, cramps, pain/spasms. I stopped inhaling & swallowing toxic air. (My asthma is alot better, too, but that's a whole other issue, entirely!) I don't feel like an ashtray anymore. I literally looked at my butt-tray and saw my stomach, or the toilet, by the end of it all.

Kate, IBS-D.

GOOD for you!!! new
      #237064 - 01/10/06 03:50 AM
epa_ginger

Reged: 02/23/05
Loc: Chicago, IL

I'm sure it's hard to quit ( i have no idea, don't smoke), but it makes me so glad to hear you are quitting. What an excellent choice you have made. I hope you can keep it up!

Wait---you had asthma and you smoked???? Whoa!! DEFINITELY a good idea to quit!!

--------------------

Re: does anyone here smoke? n/t new
      #237070 - 01/10/06 05:31 AM
ibsy

Reged: 12/12/05

I quit in September... but it took me a year of cutting down! My boyfriend went cold-turkey! Feel so much better for it... I can taste again!!!!

Re: I quit in Jan 05...... new
      #237098 - 01/10/06 07:25 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Started again in August 05 and quit again October 05. Hopefully, that will be the last time!! Withdrawl sucks big time!!!

Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Re: does anyone here smoke? n/t new
      #237456 - 01/10/06 10:19 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

This is day eleven of not smoking for me. I smoked for about 10 years (and at 25, that's quite bad!).
I'm using Nicorette patches, and for once my emetophobia is working in my favour! My friend's ex girlfriend used the patches and smoked and was violently ill... so I'm too scared to smoke while on the patches!

It's going ok so far. I've put on 3kg, and I'm eating lots of lollies. And cookies. And potato chips. And cheese. Ok, my guts are a bit crap, but I have this need to put things in my mouth. I figue if I can quit smoking, then I can definitely lose weight as well when it's time.

--------------------
*Emma*

Way to go, Emma! new
      #237607 - 01/11/06 10:34 AM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

Well, firstly, I congratulate you Emma. I haven't smoked in 5 weeks. Are you experiencing the Nicoderm Patches as effective aids? I SURE AM!!! If I get the munchies, I just eat safe veggies (which actually feel fine because my IBS is so much more stable without smoking). Also, meditation & going for walks around the block really help.
Getting tons of sleep is really effective, as well. I was so warped for the first 2 weeks, though! I literally couldn't tie my shoes straight.

I cannot tell you how much less my cramps/spasms are reduced! I cannot express how much less gas I have from swallowing toxic air. If only you knew how many less D attacks I have. BUT, I KNOW how much the first 3 weeks really hurt. Take it at your own pace, & if you need more level 1 patches, extend the duration of phase 1. That's what I did. Pamper yourself! I reward myself with silly little things alot too. Honestly, just stupid things like magazines, those kinds of distract my mind from the momentary impulse toys. (Yes, you can laugh, but I'll even play computer games--I think it is the hand/mind connection that works in that respect). Strong aromatherapeutic oils really relax me. I'm contemplating some laser accupuncture to get those dopamine receptors back in gear. I've been reading that quitting smoking causes mega-depression & I'm exploring using an Anti-Depressant. There is just no quick "buzz" or high. I can't blow off a moment with a cigarette anymore.

Kate, IBS-D.

hey emma-- new
      #237821 - 01/11/06 09:53 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

cool for quitting! thats a long time to smoke--did you start at 25 or did you quit by 25? ive been smoking for 2 years now..cigarettes maybe 10 months? did you smoke anything else? i was wondering if smoking anything else would contribute to IBS/C problems ie: overeating----> therefore bloating and horrible C! what IBS are you? did you notice if smoking effected/aggrivated your IBS?

oh ps--whats a lollie?

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Re: hey emma-- new
      #238776 - 01/15/06 10:35 PM
thepurplelollie

Reged: 11/11/04
Loc: Wellington, New Zealand

Hey! Day 16 and I still haven't had one!

In answer to your questions.. I started smoking tobacco at 15, and I smoked pot pretty regularly from about 17 to about 20. I first started really feeling my IBS the year I turned 21, so I'm not sure whether smoking pot affected it or not. I don't remember having any issues.. but then memory's not really a reliable indicator for me!
I stopped smoking pot because I wasn't finding it fun any more, I was getting anxiety all the time and it was making me paranoid. It was probably the easiest thing I've ever given up because of that.

I'm IBS-A, and I've had a bit of D the last couple of weeks, whereas I was C for six months leading up to this. Heh, before I found this site, I used to use a coffee and a cigarette sometimes in an effort to get things moving. It usually worked! So I don't know why I'm D all of a sudden now... No. that's a lie. It's because I've started having coffee on breaks because I don't know how to fill 15 minutes any more! lol!

I think smoking did affect my IBS though, it's definitely a GI irritant, and it could sometimes bring on D. But then again, sometimes not. I guess your body gets used to it.

What's really great about giving up is that I've saved so much money already! I took myself for a trip to the op shop (thrift store) as a reward and got a lovely wool jacket, a polka dot top and a bright yellow belt.

Annnnnd... Lollies are candy for us antipodeans. My web email address is thepurplelollies, but I dropped the "s" because there wasn't enough room on one forum, and I've been thepurplelollie, singular, ever since. I like the purple flavours.

--------------------
*Emma*

Re: hey emma-- new
      #238896 - 01/16/06 10:50 AM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

haha! thats funny about the lollies--i wrote in purple for them! thats great about your 16-day success! im glad im not the only pot-smoker here but i was really curious about that for so long! i was afraid to post it tho

nonetheless, i started smoking pot near the same time is you, only i was 18. my BF did it and when i met him i started--ive been smoking pretty heavily [pot] since then but only recently started smoking more tobacco. probably since july to now i take puffs off my BFs cigs b/c i get to sick smoking a full one. maybe i take puffs from 4 cigs thru-out the night.

i started wondering if pot munchies was contributing to my IBS/C since i can smoke, get hungry, eat and then smoke again and go thru it all over again. i was thinking too much food was shocking my bowels and causing C. grr! it seems i always have it too

i know what you mean about money! oy--i think i spent maybe 200 split w/my BF within 4 days on weed..err i wish i had more saved up money!

good to know im not alone there! im approaching 21 too and have maybe started to develop the same feelings. although i like visiting amsterdam..LOL.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1476 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1583

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review