All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My Fav Safe Foods
      #236927 - 01/09/06 12:48 PM
busymomtn

Reged: 01/09/06
Loc: Chattanooga, TN

I'm relatively new to eating for IBS - and am discovering new "substitutions" every day. So far my fav comfort food is mashed potatoes, mac & cheese and rolls. Our local Bi-Lo store has the best mashed potatoes. If I'm having a really bad day - it's pretzels and peppermint tea. I drink a LOT of peppermint tea. I especially love having a Dove dark chocolate (after dinner of course) with a cup of peppermint tea. I have also found out that there are some serious gourmet hot chocolate mixes out there where you add milk that are wonderful. I bought some Godiva dark chocolate truffle hot chocolate mix and mixed it with Silk soy milk and a couple of drops of peppermint oil - Yuuuuummmmyyyyy!!!! Also I have 3 teenage sons, and cooking around my IBS is a real hassle, so I have learned that you can use ground turkey in a lot of things - meatloaf, spaghetti, etc, and they will never even know it's turkey. Trust me - I've had no complaints on this one! Also turkey burgers are delicious! And today - through the message boards - I found out about Roma (chicory coffee) and bought some of that. My love of coffee has been the hardest thing for me to get over - especially on Monday mornings - ugh! Thanks so much for all the great info.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: My Fav Safe Foods new
      #237097 - 01/10/06 07:19 AM
crew

Reged: 06/24/05

Mac and Cheese!?!? Yikes .. I sure hope its SOY cheese on that Mac. Regular Macarroni and Cheese is a big NO for IBSers, as it contains dairy.

#239455 - 01/18/06 10:48 AM
busymomtn

I don't have a problem with cheese - is there some people that don't like me?? I use low fat whenever I can. I do have a problem with cream cheese, milk, and ice cream is a huge no-no. I don't know why cheese doesn't seem to bother me.

#239458 - 01/18/06 10:59 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I am sooooo jealous that you can have real mac & cheese! Everytime I try to make mac & fake cheese, it's a disaster.

There are a couple of things that do not bother me that are on the no-no list, namely fried chicken, venison (deer) and lean pork.

I'm right there with you on the ground turkey. My husband even asks for turkey burgers sometimes! It's great stuff.

I also haven't gotten sick of white rice or apple sauce. How sad is that? I could list a bunch more safe stuff, but I should get back to work.

Just a caution to newer readers new
      #239706 - 01/19/06 06:28 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Mac and Cheese is not safe unless it is made with soy or rice cheese. Dove chocolate Bars are not usually safe, unless you can tolerate a small, small piece after a safe meal. Prepared store bought mashed potatoes contain milk. It's safest to make your own with rice or soy milk. And hot cocoa mixes almost always, always contain a form of dry milk or whey.

Just wanted to warn others that these foods are usually not safe for most of us.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

No... new
      #239707 - 01/19/06 06:30 AM
Augie

Reged: 10/27/04
Loc: Illinois

Just because someone corrects or posts an clarification to your post doesn't mean they don't like you! just that most people are not like you! Meaning, these foods are not safe for them.

--------------------
~ Beth
Constipation, pain prodominent,cramps, spasms and bloat!

thanks beth! -nt- new
      #239710 - 01/19/06 06:32 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Re: Just a caution to newer readers new
      #240786 - 01/23/06 10:44 AM
busymomtn

Oops - sorry! I should have left off the mac & cheese one. I don't have a problem with cheese. I should add that I make mashed potatoes from scratch with safe butter and the hot chocolate is the gourmet type that you make with whatever kind of milk that you want (it has no powdered milk in it) - in my case - soy milk. And I only have 1 or 2 Dove chocolates AFTER a full meal. I know, I know - everyone is different. I bought some of the Mocha Dream soy ice cream after I read it on a post and it was sooooo good but it made me way gassy and I only ate 1/2 cup - it is still pretty high in fat so I will have to be careful with that. Again - sorry. I'm new at this, but learning. These boards have been a God-send - I haven't had an attack since Dec 28th. WHEW-HOO!

Re: Just a caution to newer readers new
      #240895 - 01/23/06 03:25 PM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

First of congrats on your attack free time! I know how good that feels.

Second -- I envy you so much on that mac-n-cheese. I have been able to sneak in little bits of this and that... but mac-n-cheese would kill me. I can't even have fake mac-n-cheese. Though - from what I hear - most of them aren't worth the trouble.

Congrats again -- and I agree - the board is wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1615 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1832

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review