All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
How do you know if the IBS diagnosis is correct?
      #236782 - 01/08/06 06:42 PM
Jorns

Reged: 01/08/06
Loc: Illinois

I have been trying to figure out this stomach thing for ages, and, so far, I have only been told "all your tests are clear, you must have IBS." The symptoms seem to fit, but how do you really know? My husband doesn't get it and gets so annoyed with all my "issues" and worries regarding my stomach. The whole thing is so tiring at times.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: How do you know if the IBS diagnosis is correct? new
      #236792 - 01/08/06 07:32 PM
Gracie

Reged: 11/25/05

Well in my opinion, IBS is a catch phrase in the medical community when they don't know what's wrong with you, or more appropriately they don't know why you have the cramps, D or C, etc. They do tests to rule out things like Crohn's Disease etc. When you don't test positive for any, they call it IBS. IBS is definatley not the same for everyone.
The good news is that it can be controlled by diet, lifestyle (exercising), and perhaps some supplements and/or probiotics. There are some drugs available for IBS too but they don't work for everyone.

Welcome to the boards, and good luck on your path to getting stable again.

Edited by Gracie (01/08/06 07:33 PM)

#236807 - 01/08/06 08:43 PM
Betharoo

Reged: 01/28/05
Loc: Ontario, Canada

Since there is no clear test for IBS you have to be confident that your doctor has done all the tests they could to rule out anything else. If you are not satisfied, I would get a second opinion and visit a gastroenterologist who is more knowledgeable about IBS and other conditions that could mock the symptoms. If you have already done that, I know for me personally it took a long time to accept that this is what was wrong. I wanted more.. more answers and more what-to-do's. If you found your way here then you are on the right track. If your syptoms match the main ones listed on the site or in Heather's books and you find the IBS diet helpful then I would say you are in the right place.
It is very tiring to have IBS, it takes such a long time of suffering before you finally rule everything else out and are left with an IBS diagnoses. It can also be overwhelming to know what to do next. I would take awhile and read through some posts here and the diet guidelines. Then ask any questions you might have because that is what we are all here for.
Best of luck and hope you feel better,
Bethany

--------------------
Microscopic Colitis, IBS-A, GERD, Hiatal Hernia
Bethany, Ontario, Canada

#236820 - 01/09/06 02:42 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

Find out what tests they've done and what they've ruled. The ones that are often missed are a colonoscopy, celiac and gluten intolerance, other food intolerances, parasites (it's hard to spot them - you need to have had at least 3 stool sample tests), microscopic colitis (they need to take a biopsy during a colonoscopy).

#236868 - 01/09/06 08:28 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Here's a page from Heather's Website where she discusses what's necessary to be diagnosed with IBS.

Here's a brochure that might help your husband understand what's going on.

HTH. Welcome to the Boards.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 432 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 437

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review