All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: Hey Angela..... new
      #236484 - 01/07/06 11:53 AM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

I'm sorry to hear that your hubby has a HH, too!!

The shortness of breath comes and goes but it doesn't bother me like it does your husband and it's not supposed to be that bothersome. It sounds like he needs to have the surgery to open the airway. His stomach may be protruding through the esophagus pretty badly.

Sometimes I can hardly catch my breath and sometimes I'm fine. It's worse when I'm laying down and I cannot lay on my right side at all!

I don't know if his shortness of breath is contributing to the abnormal EKG. I don't think a HH stresses the heart at all, unless it's strangling the esophagus. At that point, they do surgery because the hernia is cutting off the air supply. It sounds like his HH is worse than mine if he's having that hard of a time breathing. That, in fact, does put stress on the heart!!

I don't have typical hearburn symptoms either. That's why I never suspected that it was a HH or GERD. I don't have the burning in the back of my throat or burning feeling in my chest.

I just have crushing chest pains like I'm having a heart attack. The doc said that's a symptom of my HH AND GERD, actually.....he said it doesn't have to burn. I've had these pains since I was little. I was always very active in cheerleading and thought I just strained a chest muscle all the time, when in fact, it was probably heartburn. It just didn't feel like heartburn.

I'm ALWAYS uncomfortable after eating because some of the food gets stuck in the hernia and take a million hours to digest. So, I can definitely relate!! It's almost an everyday event for me. Tack on the IBS-D and GERD and it makes it even more fun!!

I would def. talk to the doc about this. I think he should have the surgery option available to him if the HH is what is causing his shortness of breath. Is he overweight?? That can make the symptoms of a HH AND GERD worse, too.

Take Care!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Hi Michelle... new
      #240827 - 01/23/06 11:43 AM
Nisha

Reged: 01/23/06

I am having IBS for the past 5yrs...recently detected with acid reflux. I donno of gerd and acid reflux r same...GI doc did an endoscopy to find this...and I donno if I have hiatal hernia or not.

How does doctor diagnose hiatal hernia ?

I am having reflux for past 6months...It was 3months tht i realised tht it is bcose of acid...I felt that someone is holding my neck...and i used to get heart burn...GI doc gave me nexium...and they changed it to aciphex bcose i was getting constant headache from nexium.

I felt better thorught the time I was ahving nexium...no heartburn at all..and i avoided spicy foods and had lot of yogurt...as I am fine in having yogurt even during peak IBS- D time..

I am 27yrs old and we wanted to have kids very soon...so I am just wondering....If I will have to tke this medication for long or not ?

Please advice me on how to tke care ?...Shd I stop taking medication and try to get pregnant ?

or shd i wait ? but for how long ?

i have heard tht acid reflux gets worse drng pregnancy...wht to do ?

my husband wants kids very soon...I am confused...pls advice..

I am thiking to contact a naturopath ....

any ideas ?

pls advice on how to tke care without medication ?

Re: Hi Michelle... new
      #240897 - 01/23/06 03:36 PM
anlikerm

Reged: 09/16/05
Loc: NC

Hey Nisha!

The only way your doctor can diagnose a hiatal hernia is by doing an endoscopy. A lot of people have hiatal hernias and don't even have any symptoms...I do, however.

I don't really know if acid reflux is the same thing as GERD either. Someone else told me that acid reflux AND GERD ARE the same thing. I meant to ask my doctor about it because he diagnosed me with GERD...but I haven't seen him SINCE my procedure in November.

I would talk to your doctor about whether or not to stay on the aciphex, while being or trying to become pregnant. I have a friend that refused to get pregnant unless her doctor would allow her to continue to stay on Prilosec and he said okay. I don't think doctor's recommend that you be on your acid reflux med unless you cannot function without it. I'm not sure, though. I have never been pregnant....

Good Luck and talk to your doctor!
Michelle

--------------------
IBS-D. Hiatal Hernia, GERD
Unstable

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 589 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2424

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review