All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Back to the beginning
      #235685 - 01/04/06 02:22 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

So I've been thinking back - and reading back - to when I first started with Heather's Diet and the Diet and Recipe Boards, and I've realized there are four old posts and threads that have stuck in my mind. Each of them helped me in a different way, but all were valuable in getting me to accept that I had IBS; vigorously pursue Heather's diet to deal with it; understand Heather's diet; and understand one of the major pitfalls in following the diet.

I'm passing them along as a sentimental gesture and in hopes that they will help someone else as much as they helped me.

The Guinea Pig: starring ecmmbm, SharonMello, and KinOz - This whole thread - and especially KinOz' "I hear you" post - helped me stop chasing every potential cause and possible cure, accept I had IBS, and start doing something about it

LauraSue's 9 month milepost - All of LauraSue's milepost posts are worth reading, but in this one I was really struck by her reference to taking her meds "aggressively rather than reluctantly". It helped me directly, by getting me to use Imodium as often as I needed to feel better and by getting me to talk seriously to my GI about prescription meds.
Perhaps even more important, once I generalized "aggressively rather than reluctantly" to following Heather's diet, I found I could think of cooking, new recipes, reading labels, quizzing waiters, and all the other new tasks I had to learn as a chance to reclaim my life, rather than a lifetime sentence of deprivation.

HanSolo on pickles - Heather's diet in less than 75 words. All else is commentary. You rock, Alicia.

LittleMinnie on Identifying Triggers - A classic in the annals of the IBS diet. Quite simply the best explanation of why it's important not to eat that stuff no matter how sure we are it's not hurting us. I've always thought this one was great, but it has particular significance for me now, since I've spent the last 6 weeks eating triggers that "didn't bother me" - until a few days ago when they all caught up with me at once.

These four examples are particularly outstanding, but there have been hundreds and hundreds of posts that have helped me understand and actually succed at Heather's diet and I appreciate all of them.

I'm starting to sound like a rock band on yet another farewell tour here and I'm not entirely sure why. Perhaps, as much as I hate the fact that I've cheated my way into a major setback, that setback made me realize just how far I had come and how much of that I owe to the people on the Boards. So, thanks.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Back to the beginning new
      #235691 - 01/04/06 02:31 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

I missed that post by Alicia, but holy cow, that just rocks. That IS the entire diet, summed up in 1 short paragraph of simple English. Wonderful!

Re: ROTFL - you two crack me up!!!!! new
      #235705 - 01/04/06 03:21 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

I totally forgot about that post - no wonder considering the amount of posts I have done. LOL. I laughed till I cried. I remember being a tad frustrated then... some of you will remember why.

I guess it really does sum it up, doesn't it??? LMBO!!!!!!
Except now I think I'd add cook, peel, mash and puree to the insolubles part.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

READING 101 new
      #235724 - 01/04/06 04:20 PM
lalala

Reged: 02/14/05

Really, considering how many folks have misunderstood the basis of the diet (it's low-fat, not fat-free; IF should be incorporated into your diet; and, no, this diet isn't just about eating white rice and applesauce!!!), I think some of us need to take a Reading 101 class or something. There should be an EFI quiz, just to make sure people understand what IBS is and isn't and how to eat safely in order to minimize symptoms . (Just kidding about the testing part. No one needs the added stress of the dreaded POP QUIZ!)

I hope people take the time to read through these discussions AND through the information Heather provides on her site. And then reread them. If they're too overwhelmed by all that reading, maybe they can get someone to read it for them. Or check out the book from the library. Or buy it and keep it in the bathroom - that would give you plenty of time and opportunities to do some focused reading.

Anyway, these are great links, Sand. I'm definitely saving this post. LOL at Hansolo's excellent summary of the EFI guidelines!

Edited by SPASMTASTICAL! (01/04/06 04:35 PM)

Re: Back to the beginning new
      #235797 - 01/04/06 08:34 PM
uwponine

Reged: 03/19/05
Loc: Wisconsin

Thanks. It was great to read this.

--------------------
IBS-C with major bloat!
Gluten Free Vegan

Absolutely! new
      #235800 - 01/04/06 08:47 PM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

First off, Maria - excellent post. Part of me was going 'yeah! there should be a quiz!' but then, you're right, the added stress would not be worth it... haha Really though, it's not THAT much reading (well for me anyway, but then I read about 300 pages a week for school ...). But YES, Reading 101 is a prerequisite folks!

Anyway, Alicia - I missed that post too! But really, fabulous. It's now saved as a favourite post for me

And last but certainly not least, Sand, you never cease to amaze. You're always the one digging in the annals of the board and coming up with gems. I kind of think of you as the reference librarian of the boards! hehe Thanks for posting this!

Re: Thanks Retro, and Sand - what a great post!!! -nt- new
      #235884 - 01/05/06 08:34 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Re: Absolutely! new
      #235899 - 01/05/06 08:54 AM
lalala

Laurel, I agree - Sand is AMAZING! She finds the most useful information on the boards. We must get her to share her search technique secrets.

Aw, shucks, guys... new
      #235989 - 01/05/06 12:18 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

'tweren't nothin'. Although I do like the comparison to a research librarian. I've always thought librarian would be a really cool job.

As for my search secrets, you just have to think like a computer. After that, it's all in the wrists.

I love the idea of a quiz. Not one of those horrible pop-quizzes - the idea of those still makes my stomach hurt and I've been out of school, well, probably longer than some of you have been alive. No, one of those cutesy quizzes like they do in women's magazines (and men's, too, for all I know). Something like "Test Your EFIQ" and then a series of True/False questions about the areas of confusion Maria outlined. I just can't figure out what the prize would be for getting all the questions right.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

BUMP! Good info if you're feeling overwhelmed by IBS. -nt- new
      #265975 - 05/27/06 07:36 PM
lalala

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1774 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review